Craft Beer: What are you drinking now?? | Page 34 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Craft Beer: What are you drinking now??

La Chouffe is a def winner all around.

The Houblon Chouffe is also a favorite of mine.

Sounds excellent! I see it’s available in a few of the LCBOs here in KW - will have to pick some up. Thanks for sharing as I’d not heard of this one. Love Maudite and Fin du Monde.

Speaking of unique yeast strains, I’m currently enjoying a bottle conditioned saison from Great Lakes: “No chance with Miranda”
Quite tasty and Belgian-inspired for sure.

View attachment 41558

Happy New Year!
Thx! Try it and let us know what you think of La Resolution and how it compares to Maudite and Fin Du Monde. It's great to share the world of beer.

That saison sounds great. I love a great saison and have a very special bottle of my most favorite and highly rated saison in the world cellaring. Saison Dupont, rated 94 on beer advocate.

I opened up another great cellared beer recently, the perfect beer for the holiday season... St. Bernardus Belgian Monk Abbey Christmas ale. It was in the top notch quad style. Not as spiced as I was expecting either. 10% ABV of awesomeness. Highly recommended.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got this St. Bernardus Abbey Christmas ale as a rare LCBO release some years back, like the Saison Dupont as well ;). Cheers on the great beer hunt and have a great weekend.

Recently went back to NB for a week and my brother in law and I picked up ~50 various local variety's to try. Not uncommon, as we do this at least a couple times a year as NB is very micro-brew dense.
At the end of the week the trend of overly hopped or hideous citrus blends was annoying and I just wanted a regular ole Keiths.

I visited Rainhard Brewing recently and tried a bunch. I think they’re one of the better breweries in the GTA but had previously only stopped by the bottle shop.
Best of the bunch was Armed N Sabro, a new IPA that they only had on tap. It was really well done. The others I tried were Brutal Truth (IPA), Satanic Panic (imperial stout with coffee, cacao, and vanilla), Rage and Love (sour ale), and Age and Beauty #2 (barrel aged wild ale).
Satanic Panic was well done and smooth, but the adjuncts were a bit muddled. The coffee was appropriately restrained and cacao was present, but the vanilla was a bit lost in the mix.
I had the highest hopes for Age and Beauty #2, as it sounded similar to a one-off from Rainhard that was perhaps my favourite beer at Cask Days (Cut and Run). Compared to that one, Age and Beauty #2 was more acidic, drier, and was a bit lacking in mouthfeel.

@ljtenkor - I stopped in at Rainhard after attending the bike show yesterday and Armed N Sabro is available in 355ml cans now.

I grabbed a few as well as 1/2 case of Nosbeeratu and the Satanic Panic.

The Sabro is good, but haven’t tried the SP yet.

Oh -also grabbed some of the raspberry/passion fruit sour and shared it with some local brewers (Wave Maker and North Works) last night and everyone really enjoyed it.

Not sure where you are located, but here in Cambridge we have 7 breweries and will be up to ~11 in the next few months.

Let me know if you’re ever coming out this way.

Cheers
Rob

@ljtenkor - I stopped in at Rainhard after attending the bike show yesterday and Armed N Sabro is available in 355ml cans now.

I grabbed a few as well as 1/2 case of Nosbeeratu and the Satanic Panic.

The Sabro is good, but haven’t tried the SP yet.

Oh -also grabbed some of the raspberry/passion fruit sour and shared it with some local brewers (Wave Maker and North Works) last night and everyone really enjoyed it.

Not sure where you are located, but here in Cambridge we have 7 breweries and will be up to ~11 in the next few months.

Let me know if you’re ever coming out this way.

Cheers
Rob

Sounds great, @robertv19! Yeah, the Armed N Sabro was the first beer I have tried with that hop and I’m looking forward to trying more.

I’m in North York, close to Scarborough. Of breweries around Cambridge, I’ve only had beers from Grand River Brewing, Hespeler Brewing, and Barncat so far. Barncat has been on my list to visit for a while, but my schedule hasn’t lined up. I’ll have to plan it a bit, but I’ll give you a heads up when I head out that way!

Not sure if it's a craft brewery but 'Sherwood Forest' in BC is fantastic. Had their stout the last couple of days...so good. Trying to find it in Ontario but I don't think they send it over here.

Trying to find it in Ontario but I don't think they send it over here.

Welcome to Canada! Our liquor laws are so goofy, exporting across a provincial border is expensive (thats why molson and Labbatt had a brewery in every province, they didnt need production capacity, they needed to be provincially made) and many smaller just cant afford to production levels to ship outside thier 'local' market. You'll usually find if you drill deep enough when you find a craft beer 100's of miles from home its actually owned by a really big brewery.

Welcome to Canada! Our liquor laws are so goofy, exporting across a provincial border is expensive (thats why molson and Labbatt had a brewery in every province, they didnt need production capacity, they needed to be provincially made) and many smaller just cant afford to production levels to ship outside thier 'local' market. You'll usually find if you drill deep enough when you find a craft beer 100's of miles from home its actually owned by a really big brewery.
Yup. Unfortunately we go from site to airport, so no time to stop. And being a dry camp...not willing to risk bringing booze on site to keep here. Chances of getting caught are almost 0....but....not worth the risk.

As mentioned before, there are ways and importers to get lots of rare beer in the GTA when you dig deeper into the hobby.

Rochefort 10. A Belgian Trappist quad and one of my most favorite beers in the world. A rare 100 rated world class beer on Beer Advocate.

attachment.php

This beer is amazing when offered at the LCBO (and it currently is). Spectacular for the price too.

Troubador, one of the Belgians I picked up before, is a very boozy porter type beer. 8.5% and it’s delicious. Too delicious, I was going to sip it...ended up guzzling it as it was so moreish.

That looks like a nice big beer to enjoy for a snowy day and watching football.

I drank the Innis & Gunn Frank & Sense Ale today.

Supposedly brewed with gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Tasted like just a regular old golden ale to me.

I don't think I've enjoyed any of the special releases they put out every year which is disappointing since their regular Ale is just so damn tasty.

That looks like a nice big beer to enjoy for a snowy day and watching football.

I drank the Innis & Gunn Frank & Sense Ale today.

Supposedly brewed with gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Tasted like just a regular old golden ale to me.

I don't think I've enjoyed any of the special releases they put out every year which is disappointing since their regular Ale is just so damn tasty.
Thx! I too find special releases hit and miss, including the limited run craft Innis & Gunn offerings. But I usually try them when I can, as with a ~50/50 success rate, I've still managed to enjoy a number of them. Thx for the feedback on this one, good luck on the next one
thumb_up.gif

Ugh...I've now got 673 posts to go through and write down all the beers to try....thanks guys.

Sounds great, @robertv19! Yeah, the Armed N Sabro was the first beer I have tried with that hop and I’m looking forward to trying more.

I’m in North York, close to Scarborough. Of breweries around Cambridge, I’ve only had beers from Grand River Brewing, Hespeler Brewing, and Barncat so far. Barncat has been on my list to visit for a while, but my schedule hasn’t lined up. I’ll have to plan it a bit, but I’ll give you a heads up when I head out that way!

Of those 3, only Barncat is worth the drive.
You need to get to North Works, Wave Maker, Rhythm and Brews and Four Fathers. Jack Ass isn’t bad either, but isn’t my favourite.

Cheers

Rob

Of those 3, only Barncat is worth the drive.
You need to get to North Works, Wave Maker, Rhythm and Brews and Four Fathers. Jack Ass isn’t bad either, but isn’t my favourite.

Cheers

Rob

So I decided to give Jack Ass another chance as I hadn’t been in quite some time and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

They had a couple of versions of their porter that they had done for the holiday season:

Bump ‘n Rind - with orange rind - tasted like a Terry’s Chocolate Orange and was quite good

After 8:30 - with mint and tasted like, you guessed it - an After Eight mint - a bit too mint for my liking

Also tried:

Breaking D Law - a Vermont-style pale ale - which wasn’t hazy (nice for a change)

IMG_0264.JPG

Brought home:

Sun Kiss Juicy IPA - which I’ve had a bunch of times but it really is quite good

Hoparillo - a really tasty APA - so good that I contemplated going out in this weather to get more.

IMG_0269.JPG

Stay safe and enjoy whatever beer you decide to keep you warm today!

Rob

Had the:

Bandit Brewing Wizard of Gose - Apricot.
Was very tasty. Not overly sour, and the apricot shone through.

Skeleton Crew Brewing KnuckleBone IPA.
Nothing to write home about. Just another typical hazy IPA that's all the rage lately.

My GF's work just released a new beer.

Jour de Pluie English Mild Ale.
Low carb'd, light mouthfeel and nice toffee notes.

Just got home from Granite Brewery.

First trip back there in at least 6yrs.

They seem to have refined some of their beers as they were much better than I remembered.

Had the Darkside Black apa, and the Irish Dry Stout.

The Darkside was VERY good!

20200119_171457_zpsnbgogpfs.jpg

Had the:

Bandit Brewing Wizard of Gose - Apricot.
Was very tasty. Not overly sour, and the apricot shone through.

Skeleton Crew Brewing KnuckleBone IPA.
Nothing to write home about. Just another typical hazy IPA that's all the rage lately.

My GF's work just released a new beer.

Jour de Pluie English Mild Ale.
Low carb'd, light mouthfeel and nice toffee notes.

Rainy Day - sounds like a nice one. I like English mild ales - nice for a change too.
Your G/F works at Common Ground? That must be deadly. Living close to a half dozen breweries is scary enough for me.
;-)

Just got home from Granite Brewery.

First trip back there in at least 6yrs.

They seem to have refined some of their beers as they were much better than I remembered.

Had the Darkside Black apa, and the Irish Dry Stout.

The Darkside was VERY good!

20200119_171457_zpsnbgogpfs.jpg

Granite Brewery - nice one! I've always really like their Peculiar - reminds me of Theakston's Old Peculier from Yorkshire.
Would love to try the Black APA.

Thanks for letting us know!

Rob

Back
Top Bottom