Covid era motorcycle adventure options. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid era motorcycle adventure options.

It's not Shane ...it's about acheivable trips this summer and so good Canadian adventures should be covered. I'm more likely to do The James Bay Road in mid June ...already have a motel scoped out.
Iceland popped up as one of the few over seas trips that could occur in the next 3 months that I WOULD consider ....not going to the US, not going to Europe....could do New Zealand but getting to Australia first is #1 ....even have a ticket.

If you are going up the St Lawrence Parc Mauricie is a must do. La Mauricie National Park fantastic riding on a quiet day....
The JBR, is reputed to be a boring ride however the uniqueness of the adventure intrigues me. One of my kids got transferred to Timmins, I'll be heading there soon to help him get setup -- I think I'll use that as mile zero for a JBR run. I have heard you need moose bars on your bike in June... not for the mooses, for the flies.

Screen shot 2011-06-20 at Jun, 20    2011    9.13.04 PM.jpg

Yup - lotsa bugs...still recall buddy trying to make coffee on the side of the road while being swarmed. Good thing tho they were not biting yet. You might get to see a caribou ..almost dropped the bike I was so surprised when saw one in the bush running beside me. It's nice to have effectively zero traffic and zero civilization for 100s of Km.
Put on the audiobook and zone out. If you have the tank range and suspension you can sit at 150 kph+ and then the sweepers get interesting - especially with frost heaves :eek:

Last edited:
And how many people in this thread are riding there on a trials bike to climb rocks?
Anybody who rode there before and some of the locals. They know what trials bikes are there (y)

for some strange reason bugs are not bad so far today, they must be saving up for dusk.

View attachment 43188

Yup - lotsa bugs...still recall buddy trying to make coffee on the side of the road while being swarmed. Good thing tho they were not biting yet. You might get to see a caribou ..almost dropped the bike I was so surprised when saw one in the bush running beside me. It's nice to have effectively zero traffic and zero civilization for 100s of Km.
Put on the audiobook and zone out. If you have the tank range and suspension you can sit at 150 kph+ and then the sweepers get interesting - especially with frost heaves :eek:
what would your recommendations be for preparing for the trip? Camping? Stops? Cautions?

I’d like Iceland more if the loonie wasn’t in the toilet and Iceland wasn’t ridiculously expensive. All my holiday destinations are usually based in countries where I feel relatively comfortable with my exchanged Canadian pesos. Unfortunately things will be different this year.

Back on track....Saguenay fjords might be a destination for me again this year. If they still have whale watching on I’ll do that again too.

Tadoussac is a fun little spot to visit and you can go up one side of the fjords and down the other for a decent ride.

We did not find Iceland expensive. It has a high sales tax - generally 24% but you can get some or all of that back. It is not charged on rentals.

The whole ring road is 1388 km

$150 a night includes up to 7 people ...https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/673009?location=Iceland&adults=2&check_in=2020-06-20&check_out=2020-06-30&source_impression_id=p3_1590055987_VMTTqz%2FVLX5t8lSl&guests=1

$63 a night Vacation Rentals, Homes, Experiences & Places - Airbnb

Costs will be different for riders

And how many people in this thread are riding there on a trials bike to climb rocks?
Somewhere between 7 and 8 % so far. Likely the same number in this thread that will go all the way to Alma Quebec just to turn around and ride home again :LOL:

Iceland is expensive, but not as outrageous as it was 20 years ago. Today:

Americano Coffee $6
Can of Coke $350
Bottle of water
Pint (500ml) $12
Smokes $15
91 Gasoline $2.15/l (now) $2.70 (Jan 2020)
Big Mack Combo $17
Dinner at a diner $35, at a mid range roadhouse $70. + drinks.

I was last there several times between 95 and 08 (last there 08), prices were higher in 1995 than they are now.

My brother and family spent a week in Iceland a few years ago. They said it was nice but way overpriced and overrated. They did it after a couple weeks in Sweden and Finland which they said was far better.

My brother and family spent a week in Iceland a few years ago. They said it was nice but way overpriced and overrated. They did it after a couple weeks in Sweden and Finland which they said was far better.

My only interest with Iceland would be the volcanic stuff....I see a lot of that in Central America when I travel though.

what would your recommendations be for preparing for the trip? Camping? Stops? Cautions?
There are lots of places to rough/stealth camp along the JBR. There's a hotel in Radisson. We got in w/o reservations. You need to check on fuel. The first time we wnet there was a temporary gas station set up for construction. Second time we took the route du nord which spits you out part way up the JBR.
Feeling real adventurous? Take in the Trans Taiga on your way up the JBR. But beware there are not alot of stealth camping spots. No roads lead off this one (the trees are too small to log). We had to crash at a First Nations winter hunt camp.

Timtune,,,,,,,Hotel Central in Parent.....had fun there!
Tell me more. I remember Cycle canada reporting on wild 4x4 / MC parties up there. Does that still go on?

Ya, Dragonflies are out ! Blackflies are screwed now.

when international flights resume I expect airbnb's to be deeply discounted to get guests under the roof
most hosts during regular times are fine with low occupancy rates
after several months empty they'll want guests every night

dining I can't say the same...the restaurant closures will reduce competition
gas will be cheap, but it's of zero consequence in my bike trip planning

Yep - AirBnB bargains coming
....trailmix and Snickers bars, apple n cheese - the occasional Timmies meal for $8 chili, whole wheat bun , steeped tea with 4 mlk and an Apple fritter ...carry me a long way. Sit and work for 1/2 hour and carry on for another few hundred k ?

Back
Top Bottom