COVID and the housing market | Page 360 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

A Hi-Lift jack is great for pulling fence posts. He could borrow mine.
That was my recommendation also, and they're MUCH cheaper. But for some reason he feels the engine hoist is better...I don't believe it is, plus I have no place to keep it.

All videos with the Hi-Lift jack seem to show it really tipping at the higher end...not sure. Need to figure something out as I need to pull 5 posts in April.

That was my recommendation also, and they're MUCH cheaper. But for some reason he feels the engine hoist is better...I don't believe it is, plus I have no place to keep it.

All videos with the Hi-Lift jack seem to show it really tipping at the higher end...not sure. Need to figure something out as I need to pull 5 posts in April.
I thought the standard contractor approach was sawzall just below the surface and set the new posts 10" over? Throw some soil over the old posts and job is done.

Trust me on fence posts ( ex farmer , 9 million posts in my past) hi-lift , farmall jack , 3ft 2x6 and 10ft of chain . Two or three wraps of chain are post , 2x6 so tbe jack doesn’t sink , and go. Engine hoist has legs that are always in the way , won’t work at the corner , has to be assembled on site and you will bend the boom . Wrong tool for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You pull the old post , if it’s in concrete and the cement stays in the hole , bonus day , shave post end and stand on the tailgate of your pickup and sledge new post in .

Trust me on fence posts ( ex farmer , 9 million posts in my past) hi-lift , farmall jack , 3ft 2x6 and 10ft of chain . Two or three wraps of chain are post , 2x6 so tbe jack doesn’t sink , and go. Engine hoist has legs that are always in the way , won’t work at the corner , has to be assembled on site and you will bend the boom . Wrong tool for the job.

Thanks I'll try and convince him again. I have no need / space for an engine hoist...regardless of how good a 'deal' it is. I don't need it.

But he may, and he likes to justify his purchases somehow.

I use hand tools everyday, all day. No romantic ideas of stunning Lie Nelson planes sitting on a shelf. When I get home I really don't want to see a hand tool. The downside of doing a "hobby" as a life long occupation.
Work is what we are obliged to do.

Play is what we are not obliged to do.

The cabinet maker goes fishing and the fisherman builds a cabinet.

Mom turns 90 in July , all she wants is a dinner with family at a cheap local.

I told her i would fly the kids in , so there's another 2k for dinner. She said she hopes to live till July , and see the kids. I told her, well, they still need to show up for the funeral so I'm still down 2k , but I will bill that against the estate. I'm known in the family as the compassionate one.

Nothing says more than love than a prepaid funeral plan. I had never heard of such a thing before. I know someone who died last year at 97. They had bought this plan decades ago. Nothing like pre-planning your whole life based on the inevitable. Wise investors who get what they paid for. Or you could just let MAiD take out the trash?

What to buy a woodworker / carpenter for his 70th bday? Especially since he’s got most of it.

Dad’s bday is quickly coming up, and I’m at a loss for what to get the man that ‘needs nothing and has everything he needs’.

🤦🏻‍♂️
I can't figure out birthdays, especially for women.

A few minutes of fun in the hay followed by nine months of you can't eat that, can't party, can't do that. Nothing fits but the spin doctors say you look "Radiant". Your emotions are as predictable as a damp firecracker and after the nine months comes hours of pain. A bloody mass pops out and immediately heads for your attention getters to suck out a little more of your energy.

You are expected to joyfully remember that event annually for the rest of your life.

Dads just get demoted.

Seriously, on a person's birthday they should be giving presents to their parents.

Thanks I'll try and convince him again. I have no need / space for an engine hoist...regardless of how good a 'deal' it is. I don't need it.

But he may, and he likes to justify his purchases somehow.
It languishes in a corner almost unused since my 4x4 days if you're out St Marys way. Just saying...

Personally I don't like birthdays. I'm more impressed by how people treat me the other 364 days of the year.

Frugal people can be hard to buy for as they don't want to see you wasting your money. Unless they are a collector already the concept of collecting tea cups, stamps or beer cans doesn't usually work.

Get them together with a couple of their old chums, getting them all a bit tipsy. Start talking about the good old days and maybe something will come out.

I think it’s been discussed before , a prepaid and prearranged funeral is a really nice thing to do for your family. It’s done and documented, you get what you want and your family isn’t left scratching heads on what “ should “ be done . Letting others figure stuff out, that could have been done so easily, is just silly .

Work is what we are obliged to do.

Play is what we are not obliged to do.

The cabinet maker goes fishing and the fisherman builds a cabinet.

Supplying Millwork shops is a part of my business I enjoy most . I’m in and out of several cabinet shops in a week , the guys are either making spectacular furniture as passion projects on the side , or can’t wait to get away from any sight of sawdust . I can certainly see both sides .

I spent last Saturday night trying to convince a lady that her Acacia hardwood floor , which is also marketed as Exotic Walnut , is not walnut . It’s a walnut coloured tree from Brazil and the marketing guys got behind it . But the carton says walnut!! Yes , just like furniture sold as solid wood has a veneered particle board back , because it’s solid ….oy vey

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

He wants to buy an engine hoist so he can help me remove the fence posts....that has a hook...
Are the posts set in 4ft of concrete or just in the dirt?

I removed about 8 posts from my old fence using some wood and a fulcrum method, but they were only in about 18" of concrete, so the fulcrum method worked pretty easy.

I removed about 8 posts from my old fence using some wood and a fulcrum method, but they were only in about 18" of concrete, so the fulcrum method worked pretty easy.
When I redo an old fence, I find recycling the old holes to be more work than poking new ones. So I just just snip the old posts off at the ground and poke new holes.

I was helping a buddy remove a chain link fence one time. We were putting a building there so everything needed to come out. Most of the posts weren't a big deal. Steel posts set in ~4'x10" of concrete but manageable. One wouldn't move at all. Brought in a forklift. Still nothing. Tried drilling a few deep holes to split the concrete off. No luck. Ended up digging and using a concrete saw to chunk the concrete. For an unknown reason, that post was set with about a yard of concrete. It belled out and went under a slab on grade section of the existing building.

Back
Top Bottom