COVID and the housing market | Page 130 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

Our old house is probably worth slightly less than a year ago. New house is up from a year ago. I expect the average is being drawn up substantially from transactions down low. A 200K house becomes a 350K house, etc.

A friend is considering a move to Newfoundland because his main equity is in his GTA home. Houses are cheap but most are electric heat and rates aren't good. Good luck but it scares me.

A friend is considering a move to Newfoundland because his main equity is in his GTA home. Houses are cheap but most are electric heat and rates aren't good. Good luck but it scares me.
Heat pumps have come a long way. Some models are more still more energy efficient than electric heat below 0F. If I didn't have access to NG, I would do heat pump for 99% of my needs and a wood stove to burn as desired/needed.

Build some crypto currency farms and use them to heat the house....

Actually not a joke, I know some people doing exactly this in areas with electric only heat to reduce heating costs.

Last edited:
Looks like the house nearby that sold for 1.5M with the pool had a quick closing.

100% was fully renovated beautifully…bins are being switched out every few days as they rip the house apart inside….

Curious to see what the bungalow for 1.5 is going to see in terms of Reno as that was a 3-4 week closing.

Looks like the house nearby that sold for 1.5M with the pool had a quick closing.

100% was fully renovated beautifully…bins are being switched out every few days as they rip the house apart inside….

Curious to see what the bungalow for 1.5 is going to see in terms of Reno as that was a 3-4 week closing.
Are you saying the place had a full reno and the reno is getting dumped?

It would be interesting to have a what if conversation with everyone involved.

Heat pumps have come a long way. Some models are more still more energy efficient than electric heat below 0F. If I didn't have access to NG, I would do heat pump for 99% of my needs and a wood stove to burn as desired/needed.
We installed a Bosch IDS 2.0 heat pump alongside our propane furnace. Propane just on really cold days and piped to BBQ. Cost to run the heat pump monthly (electricity) is much less than the monthly Enbridge bill from last house.

We installed a Bosch IDS 2.0 heat pump alongside our propane furnace. Propane just on really cold days and piped to BBQ. Cost to run the heat pump monthly (electricity) is much less than the monthly Enbridge bill from last house.
Fancy. If JT's latest boondoggle ever comes through, I will try to get a price on the IDS. My A/C is old and tired and Greener homes gives you 5K if you install a heat pump. I've been in approval purgatory for months (thanks for submitting, once we confirm you are eligible we will be in touch). Heat pump should only be 1K more than A/C alone which means heat pump is 4K cheaper than AC with JT match. Unless the contractors are all in on the boondoggle and pricing heatpumps 6000 above A/C's that is.

Fancy. If JT's latest boondoggle ever comes through, I will try to get a price on the IDS. My A/C is old and tired and Greener homes gives you 5K if you install a heat pump. I've been in approval purgatory for months (thanks for submitting, once we confirm you are eligible we will be in touch). Heat pump should only be 1K more than A/C alone which means heat pump is 4K cheaper than AC with JT match. Unless the contractors are all in on the boondoggle and pricing heatpumps 6000 above A/C's that is.
What's JT's pump idea going to do to Enbridge share prices if it catches on?

What's JT's pump idea going to do to Enbridge share prices if it catches on?
Not much as I expect they get a cut of the enercare extortion that is almost impossible to escape from.

Also, you cant hire a competent hvac tech. Finding one that setup a thermostat properly for heat pump with gas backup heat would be a miracle.

Also, you cant hire a competent hvac tech. Finding one that setup a thermostat properly for heat pump with gas backup heat would be a miracle.
I hear you on that. Mine couldn't even properly define the terms for me so that I could set it how I wanted it.

evergrande goes :poop:
if all these giant chinese developers crash and the housing market goes to ****, ima buy some stonks

Last edited:
A house we considered buying finally sold August 2020. New owners did some quick polish renovations (a few bathrooms, paint, doors, floors) and just relisted for 80% more than they bought it for.

China Housing is way different than NA. Be careful
everything is interconnected in 2021, what happens in china will ripple worldwide

Back
Top Bottom