COVID and the housing market | Page 165 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

Good cross-section of examples.

If someone claims that this is such a sh!tty place to live in and it would be a much better idea to simply learn a new language and pick up to live in a different country and a completely different culture, then I'd ask them "So why haven't *you* done it already?"

And then prepare myself for the "Yabuts".
a bunch have already done so, they just dont post much on here.

Some of us are far away from retirement.

Revisit the thread in 30 years?

a bunch have already done so, they just dont post much on here.

I only know of two, cheekeebandito and J_F. Against the backdrop of all the GTAMers who are currently retired, that doesn't constitute a whole bunch. Even J_F is more of a snowbird than an ex-pat.

Some of us are far away from retirement.

Fair point. I keep forgetting we're not all greybeards and bedsh!tters on this forum.

Revisit the thread in 30 years?

Good luck with that. You may still be around in 30 years but more than likely, I'll be dead and cremated by then. 🤷‍♂️

The point remains that relocation to a foreign country and culture is not as easy as you make it out to be.

Baja California is rife with older, divorced gringos who cross the border with daydreams of love, happiness and a cheaper cost of living. Most of them are too old to learn the language, get taken advantage of by a mamacita and return back home poorer and lonelier than ever. It's a sad, yet rampant stereotype that gets played out in so many places all over the world.

Other retirees with health problems may also pay through the nose for western standards of healthcare in a developing country, so the costs just get moved from one bucket to the other. At least if you're younger, healthcare is less of a concern.

A cheap cost of living is no guarantee of happiness. I feel that those dissing Canada are taking for granted all of the great things this country has given to them and their family - freedom from persecution, great healthcare, good education system, a safe place to live in and raise kids in. Then the minute one thing goes wrong in all of that, it's like "F this country, I'm outta here!"

The current exorbitant costs of housing is a common theme across a lot of developed nations, not just Canada. The US, Australia and the UK all have sky-rocketing costs, but people still choose to retire there instead of trying to make it work in a country that has lesser political stability, poor infrastructure and support systems. Exactly the kind of things that an older, retired person looks for when old age and failing health become more of a concern.

Last edited:
I only know of two, cheekeebandito and J_F. Against the backdrop of all the GTAMers who are currently retired, that doesn't constitute a whole bunch. Even J_F is more of a snowbird than an ex-pat.

Fair point. I keep forgetting we're not all greybeards and bedsh!tters on this forum.

Good luck with that. You may still be around in 30 years but more than likely, I'll be dead and cremated by then. 🤷‍♂️

The point remains that relocation to a foreign country and culture is not as easy as you make it out to be.

Baja California is rife with older, divorced gringos who cross the border with daydreams of love, happiness and a cheaper cost of living. Most of them are too old to learn the language, get taken advantage of by a mamacita and return back home poorer and lonelier than ever. It's a sad, yet rampant stereotype that gets played out in so many places all over the world.

Other retirees with health problems may also pay through the nose for western standards of healthcare in a developing country, so the costs just get moved from one bucket to the other. At least if you're younger, healthcare is less of a concern.

A cheap cost of living is no guarantee of happiness. I feel that those dissing Canada are taking for granted all of the great things this country has given to them and their family - freedom from persecution, great healthcare, good education system, a safe place to live in and raise kids in. Then the minute one thing goes wrong in all of that, it's like "F this country, I'm outta here!"

The current exorbitant costs of housing is a common theme across a lot of developed nations, not just Canada. The US, Australia and the UK all have sky-rocketing costs, but people still choose to retire there instead of trying to make it work in a country that has lesser political stability, poor infrastructure and support systems. Exactly the kind of things that an older, retired person looks for when old age and failing health become more of a concern.
totally, like many things in life ,have to plan ahead, do your research and start early.

Vostok?

I was reading an article last night about a Russian watchmaker , Anton somebody, former Soviet army engineer now a custom watchmaker doing crazy complications, double tourbillon , hand made cases and production on 20 pcs per year with a staff of 4 . They cost a few rubbles

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Vostok?

I was reading an article last night about a Russian watchmaker , Anton somebody, former Soviet army engineer now a custom watchmaker doing crazy complications, double tourbillon , hand made cases and production on 20 pcs per year with a staff of 4 . They cost a few rubbles

Not sure if this is who you mean but Konstantin Chaykin is a master russian watchmaker. Not digging how many variations of cartoon faces they are making but the detail and complications done are extremely high quality.
I'll know i've made it one day when I can own one.

No this guy worked with Chaykin and has gone out in his own .
Fernando Roncon is the other guy to keep an eye on , the only master watchmaker in Mexico . Little pricey and a bit weird , but he sell all he builds ….

@backmarkerducati I love that watch. I guess I have an unreasonable fear of putting on my credit card to Russia...outside of that I think I'll pick one up for my bday in a few months.

Get @PrivatePilot to tell you about his virtual credit card thing. Adds a layer of obscurity and a low limit between your big money card and the russians.

Look up Stack Mastercard.

Comes with a physical card for when you want it, and a virtual card for online use. Both can be turned on and off online with just a click in their app.

Oakville average has apparently hit 1.45m . And there is no real inventory and days on market is 7-9 .
Good Lord

Oakville average has apparently hit 1.45m . And there is no real inventory and days on market is 7-9 .
Good Lord

Waterloo is over a million now should have just sat on the house I had there 7 years ago and sold for 400 would have cost the property tax and heat and be at 1.2 oh well.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Saw this watch advertised on the Dakar website. Rebellion timepieces. Not knowing anything about watches, are these any good?

Rebellion-Dakar-Blush-460x320-CMYK-300dpi-1.jpg

I should hope they are... for $36K CDN each. :oops:

President of the company entered the Dakar. Had to retire early due to... well, this:

alexandre-pesci-stephan-kuhni--1.webp

Guess he's gotta sell more watches to prep for next year's Dakar...

my ex and I moved to Milton in 2002...we bought phase 1 of Mattamy when they first opened up in 2001...2,455 square feet, detached, 40' lot, two car garage, 4 bed, 2.5 bath for $262,000...we divorced and sold in 2009 in one day for $420,000...I saw a similar model to ours for sale just the other day for $1.4M...WOW...

Back
Top Bottom