COVID-19 potential restrictions on riding? | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID-19 potential restrictions on riding?

BC has managed to do a great job at flattening the curve and their rates of infection are drastically reducing. Ontario and QC have a way to go... fingers crossed we can start showing better figures soon.
I think we're on our way. All the people and stores I've seen since I got back seem to be really following the rules, and when customers step out of line (literally and figuratively) it's the other customers that shame them back into it.

My wife was getting groceries and some guy kept infringing on someone's 2m space because '**** Corona it's all ******** anyway' and then the store manager came out and told him "If you don't follow the rules this entire place will be shut down, do that, and you won't have anywhere else to shop, none of you."

Soon as she said that my wife said the others in line basically shamed the guy out of the store.

As previously stated I'm against unnecessary riding but I got to thinking about some psychology stuff I read and the problem isn't simple. We have been free and prosperous for so long our brains have to adjust to having less in one form or another, whether it's less money, less freedom or fewer toys. The adjustment period won't be short.

Got a couple of hours in tho weather was a tad chilly for chosen gear tho says it is 14 out there now. Hands were fine and rode open shield much of the way. Not sure why I got chilled towards the end of the ride ...sun was iffy tho.

If I didn't know there was something going on it was not obvious with traffic in Mississauga midday.
Sure some closed stores but Timmies had a line up, grocery stores looked busy.
The chicken factory and store just north of the 401 on Winston Churchill was very busy.

Quieter as I got north towards the Forks - Higher Ground all locked up and No parking signs that are strictly enforced - OPP pulled up and even said no stopping ( I was on the shoulder checking email ). He had no other questions.
Clearly they don't want people congregating in the area. Even a zero tolerance for No Parking size large portable sign up as you approach the area.

Wandered back home a slightly different route, downtown Erin was pretty quiet. Traffic overall felt like a light midday weekday. Lots of street construction underway. Couple places had line ups with people keeping their distance.
Forgot to take some hand sanitizer for the gas fill up. Been a LONG time since it was less than $10 for a fill up.
( it was not completely empty but near enough...geez 74 cents a liter.

Bit stiff from the ride as got a bit chilled - usual annoyance from the damaged shoulder - bike started instantly. I'd been out in Jan or Feb. Chain was lubed okay and the tires with enough for now. Roads were free of sand but the street parking areas in Erin were chock a block with sand.

Was nice to be out but less visible difference than expected. :coffee:

Damn did not beat the rain by much ....

Last edited:
I've been thinking about going for a ride. But common sense tells me to stay home.

So I only rode to help a friend and that was all the riding I did.

So many people riding bicycles ( including distance ), shopping excursions, walking dogs, running, walking with a friend but keeping some distance .....no one is going to notice a rider ...I would say there were 5-6 riders I noticed in a 90 km loop.
Common sense should tell you to keep distance from others....not to sit home thumb twiddling.....unless you feel yourself accident prone ;)

Friend and I went and did a 507 loop today via Kinmount and back down and around.

Weather was absolutely spectacular until it clouded over. Felt way warmer than the actual temp because of the nearly zero winds and the bring sun. Didn't even need my heated gear.

On the way back down the 35/115 I saw my first OPP motorcycle cop of the year sitting on his bike in the median shooting radar at oncoming southbound traffic.

So, uh....anyone depriving themselves of riding because of the "motorcycle riding is optional and we could crash and we could end up in the hospital and we could infect or get infected by the ambulance and we could tie up emergency services" etc etc etc, yeah...there's that. Don't tell me being out on motorcycles isn't entirely optional for the OPP as well.

I saw the strangest thing today while out riding. I think I was way north on Simcoe. It looked like a armored swat truck racing south. OPP I guess. Never seen one of those anywhere.

Durham Region Police have one of those as well. They're around. The tinfoil hat crowd are probably on full alert now between seeing that on the roads as well as the Armed Forces movements going on to CFB Borden right now.

I've been thinking about going for a ride. But common sense tells me to stay home.

So I only rode to help a friend and that was all the riding I did.

I've wondered about safety protocols with helping or visiting friends. It used to be you could just drop by a friend's place and help move a sofa. Now I suppose one should ask the covid contact questions and keep the numbers down.

Helping someone move house means too many people.

I saw the strangest thing today while out riding. I think I was way north on Simcoe. It looked like a armored swat truck racing south. OPP I guess. Never seen one of those anywhere.
You should go look online for pictures of the one Halton police bought, full armour, bullit proof tires, straight out of a Transformers movie. And yes it was hundreds of thousands. Cant put a price on safety.

You should go look online for pictures of the one Halton police bought, full armour, bullit proof tires, straight out of a Transformers movie. And yes it was hundreds of thousands. Cant put a price on safety.

Put 3 SUVs in rotation at the commuter lot on Plains with their lasers pointed up a downhill 50kmh service road several days a week. Their tank is paid for in no time.

Put 3 SUVs in rotation at the commuter lot on Plains with their lasers pointed up a downhill 50kmh service road several days a week. Their tank is paid for in no time.
Is that code for something :unsure:

Is that code for something :unsure:

It's code for @ 15-20 min./ticket they can make an easy $10K to $13K in an afternoon to pay for extras like armoured vehicles.

But it's all about safety.

The weather was so nice on Monday I pulled the bike out of the garage and washed the winter dust off. Since I never got around to removing the battery (on trickle charge tho), or running the fuel stabilizer through the carbs before winter, I figured let's see if she'll start. Took a while but fired up without needing a boost. So I figured I'll go for a short ride through Hockley and up to River Road, you know just to get things cleared out. Saw about a dozen riders and boy did that feel good.
Bike at Hornings.jpg

Durham Region Police have one of those as well. They're around. The tinfoil hat crowd are probably on full alert now between seeing that on the roads as well as the Armed Forces movements going on to CFB Borden right now.
I think this is a common tactic in difficult times -- a show of force or might may scare some into thinking some kind of martial law may be on the horizon, but I think it's done more as a reminder about how serious the situation is.

I think this is a common tactic in difficult times -- a show of force or might may scare some into thinking some kind of martial law may be on the horizon, but I think it's done more as a reminder about how serious the situation is.
Part of it was also to minimize response time to TO. Having a force that can be downtown in an hour can also help people stop themselves from doing anything too dumb. I am pleasantly surprised that we don't have those black balaclava idiots from the G7 wandering around smashing stuff. They just take joy in being ******** and causing others pain. Maybe they need the crowds to be able to blend in as they are only pretend tough.

Aren't a ton of those police "tanks" just obsolete MRAPs that have been sold at a discount/donated?

Why? Why can't we use our brains? I might understand in a high density place like Toronto. I see zero chance of getting COVID riding my bike where I live. If the risk of ending up in a hospital was that bad I would not be riding ever. I'm more likely to get COVID at home with my immune compromised wife who is working as a nurse, or in my workplace where I am bouncing around between different departments touching/working on different machinery.

Governments are always looking to increase their power. Always question it. Trudeau failed with his attempt to tax and spend as he sees fit for the next two years but if you look around the world there are many human rights violations occurring in poorer countries in the name of fighting COVID.
For me it's not a matter of you getting sick in the hospital. It's a matter of you taking up scarce resources that might be needed for my 80+ year old mother ( and others of course) when you get there. Again with the Forgotten Rebels reference.

Back
Top Bottom