COVID-19 potential restrictions on riding? | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID-19 potential restrictions on riding?

YUP...its short term ..get over it..STFH....many folks, including millennials don't give a crap until one of their parents or grandparents drops dead...

They're saying 1.5 to 2 years before it's completely gone. I do give a crap but I prefer to think for myself. I see very little risk in riding. I think that there are currently only a few patients with COVID in the Peterborough hospital so risk is pretty low if I end up there.

It makes more sense to me to make it illegal to go to the cottage rather then ride a motorcycle. The number of cidiots going to the cottage and spreading it in Muskokas, Bobcageon etc. where there are no ICUs in the local hospitals, are causing a lot more deaths then anyone on a motorcycle.

They're saying 1.5 to 2 years before it's completely gone. I do give a crap but I prefer to think for myself. I see very little risk in riding. I think that there are currently only a few patients with COVID in the Peterborough hospital so risk is pretty low if I end up there.

It makes more sense to me to make it illegal to go to the cottage rather then ride a motorcycle. The number of cidiots going to the cottage and spreading it in Muskokas, Bobcageon etc. where there are no ICUs in the local hospitals, are causing a lot more deaths then anyone on a motorcycle.
This is the problem with all of these arguments. "I see other people doing things I perceive as dumber than the thing I want to do so I am going to do my thing". The easiest way for government to stop the finger pointing and continued unnecessary risk is to tell everyone that the only place they are allowed to be is their principal residence and grocery/pharmacy/hospital.

I think it's a personal choice, and there is a balance to be struck. Shaming people isn't going to lead to anything. There is nothing wrong with well planned, short, solo jaunts just to get fresh air. Of course I am also advocating a high degree of caution -- ATGATT, be on high alert, ride cautiously, etc.. There are idiots turning the DVP -> Gardiner -> 427 -> 401 loop into their own personal racetrack -- they are being quite reckless and should be ticketed/fined accordingly.

There is a mental health aspect to consider here -- some of us have been cooped up inside for over a month, without access to a proper gym. Being depressed while stuck inside for the next year or more is just as detrimental in the long run as the risks posed by going out for short rides. Also consider that not all of us have access to land/a nice backyard, or a garage to tinker in. For some, getting out for short rides is one of the few ways to take our minds off the world's issues at the moment and just unwind.

This is the problem with all of these arguments. "I see other people doing things I perceive as dumber than the thing I want to do so I am going to do my thing". The easiest way for government to stop the finger pointing and continued unnecessary risk is to tell everyone that the only place they are allowed to be is their principal residence and grocery/pharmacy/hospital.

Why? Why can't we use our brains? I might understand in a high density place like Toronto. I see zero chance of getting COVID riding my bike where I live. If the risk of ending up in a hospital was that bad I would not be riding ever. I'm more likely to get COVID at home with my immune compromised wife who is working as a nurse, or in my workplace where I am bouncing around between different departments touching/working on different machinery.

Governments are always looking to increase their power. Always question it. Trudeau failed with his attempt to tax and spend as he sees fit for the next two years but if you look around the world there are many human rights violations occurring in poorer countries in the name of fighting COVID.

I think it's a personal choice, and there is a balance to be struck. Shaming people isn't going to lead to anything. There is nothing wrong with well planned, short, solo jaunts just to get fresh air. Of course I am also advocating a high degree of caution -- ATGATT, be on high alert, ride cautiously, etc.. There are idiots turning the DVP -> Gardiner -> 427 -> 401 loop into their own personal racetrack -- they are being quite reckless and should be ticketed/fined accordingly.

There is a mental health aspect to consider here -- some of us have been cooped up inside for over a month, without access to a proper gym. Being depressed while stuck inside for the next year or more is just as detrimental in the long run as the risks posed by going out for short rides. Also consider that not all of us have access to land/a nice backyard, or a garage to tinker in. For some, getting out for short rides is one of the few ways to take our minds off the world's issues at the moment and just unwind.
"some of us have been cooped up inside for over a month" I'm sure it only feels like that.

Those idiots are the reason it will get completely closed down, you can't issue tickets without pulling people over, unless they change that law, that would do it. Just issue thousands in traffic summonses base on licence plate numbers and you better have a good explanation where you were going, that would discourage movement.

which would be fine if you weren’t statistically twice as likely to get injured doing things around the house.

well thought out explanation
you are weighing risk
many pushing back are not capable of that

can't see this lasting a year, civil unrest would not allow it
and I don't think that's the plan

we are trying to slow the spread as the initial infectees die off
the unfortunate souls like those in retirement homes that were infected before we knew what this was

if we all behave the initial strain on the healthcare system will lessen
that's what this is all about
if we get to the point that all hospitals are bursting at the seams with Covid19 patients
the system fails for them and for everyone else with other healthcare needs

I'm really surprised that so many people think that their personal pleasure is more important than making better progress in the struggle against covid19.
Didn’t you go pick up your new Beta last week? Hardly seems essential to me. Everyone needs to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and just do the best we can. The whole finger pointing stuff isn’t getting us anywhere or making it any easier.

There’s another guy on here that’s been going on about what people need to be doing yet he couldn’t go to work with a cough so went riding with some friends. They were cautious not to be close to each other though ?.

When I have been out it really does seem like the majority of the population is following the guidelines and we’re managing alright. People need to calm down though on what others are doing.

To be clear Wingboy I’m happy you were able to go pick up your Beta. Gives you something to tinker with while this nonsense is going on. I just don’t understand how that’s okay but others going for a ride isn’t.

Be healthy everyone.

Didn’t you go pick up your new Beta last week? Hardly seems essential to me. Everyone needs to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and just do the best we can. The whole finger pointing stuff isn’t getting us anywhere or making it any easier.

There’s another guy on here that’s been going on about what people need to be doing yet he couldn’t go to work with a cough so went riding with some friends. They were cautious not to be close to each other though ?.

When I have been out it really does seem like the majority of the population is following the guidelines and we’re managing alright. People need to calm down though on what others are doing.

To be clear Wingboy I’m happy you were able to go pick up your Beta. Gives you something to tinker with while this nonsense is going on. I just don’t understand how that’s okay but others going for a ride isn’t.

Be healthy everyone.
I went to the shop which was legally open and shoved a cheque under the door. They left the bike out in the parking lot. It went in the back of my truck.I didn't ride it home. Driving a truck has a very low risk to it. Riding your bike for pleasure has a very high risk to it. Just look at the number of posts in "fallen riders" for spring 2019.
My biggest concern is that health Care workers are going to run out of essentials.
Could i have left the Beta? Yes. Did i need something to tinker with? Yes, it's been 2 1/2 years that i have been taking care of my wife 24/7 since her brain injury with no end in sight. Personally don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone going bonkers after 2 weeks. Cheers and stay safe.

You seen his yard, what else is he suppose to ride if he has to stay on his own property ;)

Are you saying you can't get hurt on a trials bike your own property?

I went to the shop . . .

This is the point where you'd say . . .

I'm really surprised that so many people think that their personal pleasure is more important than making better progress in the struggle against covid19.
Self entitlement is a partner in crime with covid19.
It's unbelievable how people are justifying going out. They must think that it's just going to blow over in a week or two. Self entitlement and sheer stupidity are just as dangerous as the virus at this stage.
What part of STAY THE **** AT HOME don't they understand?

So I guess it should be asked-- will/can insurance be put on hold since riders are majority pleasure users?

On bikes, most insurance companies aren't interested in comp without liability. You could cancel everything and save some money (depends on start date and minimum retained premium).

Theoretically the province could step in and lean on insurance companies as the mileage and usage is down on everything, but the insurance companies will whine they got smoked in the markets so losing premiums will result in bankruptcy. If we get to the point of a full lockdown, I could see a very small chance of gov't intervention (very, very small) otherwise I think you are on your own.

I'm shopping for insurance and will be switching over this week. I asked the question about putting only fire and theft on bikes if I can't ride and was told that insurance companies are looking to make an exception and grant this kind of coverage for motorcycles based on the current situation. Sounds like good news if it comes down to it.

Maybe for you riding is a high risk but I've got 55 years of road accident free riding that says otherwise.
So you do your thing and let others make their own decision without the carping. :coffee:

Saw him ride without a helmet on as well :)
I hope he was at least wearing a little Bell cap :ROFLMAO:

ae1e54287c3045f3bd01ee120406fac8.jpg

Grocer

I agree that each of us has his / her own personality and as we adjust we will need some breaks. However some day the break may be a walk instead of ride. Madison Avenue has brain washed us into expecting more every year. We should be prepared for less for a few years. Big business won't like that and big business runs the government. This is going to be ugly.

Back
Top Bottom