Coronavirus | Page 223 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think retail will recover from this

E commerce + Covid = game over

Just going to kill off the in-person retail sector even faster then it was heading.
I don't know man, I for one am itching to go to the damn mall and I hate that place with a passion.

Cadillac-Fairview said 20 to 25 percent of their tenants paid rent in April. May will probably be worse. There is going to be a retail bloodbath.

One of their managers told me that they allow stores to keep their places open because papered windows discourage shoppers in general. Many brick and mortar stores depend on browsers who come in for product A but also see product B and go out with both.

If we have to hunker down for a long time to keep up mortgage payments on reduced incomes for years all shopping will be cut back. Even grocery stores will suffer. Take a harsh look at their offerings. How many salad dressing choices do you need? Eliminate the pop and snack aisle. Breakfast candy @ $5.00 a box gets replaced with oatmeal.

Store efficiencies have plunged over the years in some departments. Ages ago there were three of four types of apples and the store would get a skid delivered, now there seem to be a dozen or more packed in different ways. A shipper at a Loblaw distribution centre said his tonnage was way down over the years because instead of a store getting a skid loaded on the truck he was picking a box in one spot and another somewhere else.

Going to be interesting to see if we can afford to fly in strawberries from South America all year. Maybe the Max 8's can be converted to cheap freighters if they ever get fixed.

i'm not a big online shopper, although i'm looking at some of the good deals they're offering. i still like to see with eyes what i'm buying
I used to be, I'm over it.

Wife buys quite a lot online, returns about 70%.

Back into the same box, print return label and drop off at post office (or the retail location).

I can see why this might be a bit of a non value add for some, but if you don't live near a mall perhaps it's time saved.

I used to be, I'm over it.

Wife buys quite a lot online, returns about 70%.

Back into the same box, print return label and drop off at post office (or the retail location).

I can see why this might be a bit of a non value add for some, but if you don't live near a mall perhaps it's time saved.
Years ago we were talking to some friends in the US. Most delivery was same day and free. She would pick three pairs of shoes that she thought might work and bracket her size. Nine pairs of shoes would show up at her door, she'd drop eight off at the post office the next day. I'm not sure how the retailer made money on that mess but I could see the appeal as the consumer.

Years ago we were talking to some friends in the US. Most delivery was same day and free. She would pick three pairs of shoes that she thought might work and bracket her size. Nine pairs of shoes would show up at her door, she'd drop eight off at the post office the next day. I'm not sure how the retailer made money on that mess but I could see the appeal as the consumer.

Sometimes the retailer doesn't make money at all.

I read a story about a small company that joined Amazon and exploded their sales. They experienced record revenues, however, because of the lenient Amazon return policy also saw record returns, and meant that they netted less profit than before they sold on Amazon.

A lot of returned product get sold at a significant discount, or goes to a landfill:

Sometimes the retailer doesn't make money at all.

I read a story about a small company that joined Amazon and exploded their sales. They experienced record revenues, however, because of the lenient Amazon return policy also saw record returns, and meant that they netted less profit than before they sold on Amazon.

A lot of returned product get sold at a significant discount, or goes to a landfill:

All returned amazon items goes on bulk sale for 20% of the sticker price and most of the time shipped out of Canada. Each bin has about 80K worth of items, you get the manifest and buy it if you want to. Can't pick and choose.

Not really an apples to apples comparison there.

You get out the hospital earlier, you have a few months longer. Outcomes the same in both cases. One arrests virus replication, one arrests cancerous cell replication. Neither drug is a cure. Pretty good analogy I’d say.

You get out the hospital earlier, you have a few months longer. Outcomes the same in both cases. One arrests virus replication, one arrests cancerous cell replication. Neither drug is a cure. Pretty good analogy I’d say.
Why a few months longer? That part of your argument doesn't make sense to me. Covid isn't yet known to be terminal past the initial acute phase.

I still think the biggest benefit to a three day shorter cycle has almost nothing to do with the existing patient in the hospital. It is freeing up capacity for the N+1. It allows the existing hospital beds to effectively process an additional 20% more patients a month.

"Coronavirus Explained" on Netflix.A must watch.

Last edited:
I work with a guy, whose dad buys trailers full of returns and then sorts, throws out and sells what is good. Good business if you have the space which he has living in the sticks. With my business, returns are thankfully low since I try to explain in detail about the product, but it really hurts the bottom line, especially with Amazon. I watched the Netflix special and it was interesting.

Why a few months longer? That part of your argument doesn't make sense to me. Covid isn't yet known to be terminal past the initial acute phase.

I still think the biggest benefit to a three day shorter cycle has almost nothing to do with the existing patient in the hospital. It is freeing up capacity for the N+1. It allows the existing hospital beds to effectively process an additional 20% more patients a month.

no, I was alluding to the cancer drugs that extend life by several months.

Just going to kill off the in-person retail sector even faster then it was heading.
I love the resiliency I'm seeing from some companies. A little farm based nursery that I support is closed to the public. They whipped together a brilliant website that sets up customers for curbside pickup. They got their little business and 1000+skus listed and priced in 1 week - something Canadian Tire hasn't managed with an army of staff and 10 years to put it in place.

I love the resiliency I'm seeing from some companies. A little farm based nursery that I support is closed to the public. They whipped together a brilliant website that sets up customers for curbside pickup. They got their little business and 1000+skus listed and priced in 1 week - something Canadian Tire hasn't managed with an army of staff and 10 years to put it in place.
The stores and retailers that can adapt quickly will thrive and grown in the near future. The ones that can't....well we're seeing what's happening on a massive scale in a very short amount of time. It's like COVID was an accelerant to all types of businesses...in good ways and bad.

The stores and retailers that can adapt quickly will thrive and grown in the near future. The ones that can't....well we're seeing what's happening on a massive scale in a very short amount of time. It's like COVID was an accelerant to all types of businesses...in good ways and bad.

We're going to pay them $40,000 each to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom