Coronavirus | Page 224 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be a retail, commercial and service industry combo plate of collective crap. 1/3 of restaurants , mostly the higher end are expected to tank, if landlords can ever collect rent , fashion stores will tank, you dont dress up to work from home.
You bought the work/live condo as an investment, but your tenant with the barbershop isnt paying rent and the apt upstairs isn't paying rent, but there is no mortgage relief on investment properties yet. Could be a bad time to be a low volume property owner.

Time to invest in Perspex .....everywhere looks like they are putting in barriers. Wonder if they will add them on aircraft?

Time to invest in Perspex .....everywhere looks like they are putting in barriers. Wonder if they will add them on aircraft?
Some hospitals have started using the ridiculous snorkeling full face masks. Not a bad solution for a plane, plug in a fresh air line to keep it cool and fog free and exhaust through a filter. Distance is not a practical solution on a plane, most people mean about the price of plane tickets, keeping 6' separation should result in an order of magnitude increase. I know I would never fly to Florida for 5 g's a seat.

Big money to be made if you can come up with a stylish, affordable, full on space suit.

The stores and retailers that can adapt quickly will thrive and grown in the near future. The ones that can't....well we're seeing what's happening on a massive scale in a very short amount of time. It's like COVID was an accelerant to all types of businesses...in good ways and bad.
I think we're going to look back on COVID in a year and ponder whether it was more lethal to people or businesses.

I think we're going to look back on COVID in a year and ponder whether it was more lethal to people or businesses.
Both. People won't be able to afford to live after this.

sure they will, we have bailouts for everything from non profit youth theatre groups to yacht clubs. The money can never end.....
The potential professional sports bailouts annoy me. If you want a 150,000,000 bailout, that means your organization was bankrupt and you have been nationalized. You no longer get to take part in potential future profit. Giving out giant amounts of money to cover your downside while you get to take all of he upside is infuriating.

Sometimes the retailer doesn't make money at all.

I read a story about a small company that joined Amazon and exploded their sales. They experienced record revenues, however, because of the lenient Amazon return policy also saw record returns, and meant that they netted less profit than before they sold on Amazon.

A lot of returned product get sold at a significant discount, or goes to a landfill:

I was talking to the manager of a company that manufactured electric lawn mowers and was told the assembly time was about a minute.

Think about it.

When a return comes in it takes longer to unpack, check out and repack the thing than it took to make.

Stores hate returns. They buy something for $50 and sell for $100. They can fill the empty spot on the shelf by getting a clean BNIB, latest model for $50 or by taking back a possibly older $100 one in a mangled box with parts or instructions missing.

I was talking to the manager of a company that manufactured electric lawn mowers and was told the assembly time was about a minute.

Think about it.

When a return comes in it takes longer to unpack, check out and repack the thing than it took to make.

Stores hate returns. They buy something for $50 and sell for $100. They can fill the empty spot on the shelf by getting a clean BNIB, latest model for $50 or by taking back a possibly older $100 one in a mangled box with parts or instructions missing.
I wouldn't be surprised if restocking fees become more universal. If everybody does it, it changes consumer behaviour and doesn't negatively affect retailers. Maybe some per store limit for stores with accounts (eg. Amazon accepts 10% of your orders as returns with no restocking fee, after that you get charged $xx.

The potential professional sports bailouts annoy me. If you want a 150,000,000 bailout, that means your organization was bankrupt and you have been nationalized. You no longer get to take part in potential future profit. Giving out giant amounts of money to cover your downside while you get to take all of he upside is infuriating.
I agree. I’m not opposed to bailouts as loans, I do oppose grants. I also believe public servants who are not working due to shutdowns should not be entitled to more than their counterparts in the private sector.

I know several people who’s employers set them on vacation until their entitlement runs out. I also know some psu folks who cancelled planned vacation because they are being paid to stay at home.

I don’t have a hate-on for psu workers, I do feel the regular taxpayer should not be on the hook to fund entitlement benefits the general public gets.

The retailers like Costco or CTC have minimized risk with returns, at Costco it just goes in a holding room and YOU, the distributor/manufacturer that sold it to Costco takes it back, and Costco gets a full credit. Its your problem. Bigger stores like CTC or Bestbuy have big stickers DO NOT RETURN TO STORE on products, they will give you a service center to take it to. Good luck with that.

Fashion business is by far the worst. Brooks Bros, Burburry, Coach ect. dont want product in value village or devalued so they will cut the labels off and scrap it, send it to a shredder before they would ever consider sending it to a third world country. You wont see a tribal chief in Zimbabwei wearing a Hugo Boss sport coat he got in a red cross box.

Its funny this is just news now (thank you internet) , you never devalue a brand. Business rule # three.

The retailers like Costco or CTC have minimized risk with returns, at Costco it just goes in a holding room and YOU, the distributor/manufacturer that sold it to Costco takes it back, and Costco gets a full credit. Its your problem. Bigger stores like CTC or Bestbuy have big stickers DO NOT RETURN TO STORE on products, they will give you a service center to take it to. Good luck with that.

Fashion business is by far the worst. Brooks Bros, Burburry, Coach ect. dont want product in value village or devalued so they will cut the labels off and scrap it, send it to a shredder before they would ever consider sending it to a third world country. You wont see a tribal chief in Zimbabwei wearing a Hugo Boss sport coat he got in a red cross box.

Its funny this is just news now (thank you internet) , you never devalue a brand. Business rule # three.
I don’t like the idea of land filling returns, I don’t have a problem with recycling. Brand owners work hard to keep the value in their brands, they are under no obligation to donate unwanted inventory to secondary markets.

So many of these bailout loans are just badly concieved, your a non profit community theatre and you rent space from the town for your "shows", you cant put on a show, but you qualify for a 40K loan, must be repayed in 2 yrs, interest free. If you repay within 2 yrs, you only pay 30K , you keep 10K for being a good sport. 10k just because.

right now if you apply it takes about 8 business days and the money is electronicaly deposited in your account. If your little group is smart you've already approached your landlord (the town) and said we cant keep renting the space, they say we know and we have no tenent anyway so just defer the rent.

Some interesting points. One thing that isn't being brought out is that money put towards pension plans, insurance premiums, deposit insurance, etc doesn't get stacked on a shelf in piles of hundred dollar bills. The money is invested in the stock market.

I don’t like the idea of land filling returns, I don’t have a problem with recycling. Brand owners work hard to keep the value in their brands, they are under no obligation to donate unwanted inventory to secondary markets.

I agree completely, if a product can be recycled it should, the land fill really bothers me, at least better retailers like NorthFace or Arktyrex will open a store in an outlet mall and blow stuff off . You'll never see "seconds" of Birkin handbags in an outlet mall, they get incinerated

I agree. I’m not opposed to bailouts as loans, I do oppose grants. I also believe public servants who are not working due to shutdowns should not be entitled to more than their counterparts in the private sector.

I know several people who’s employers set them on vacation until their entitlement runs out. I also know some psu folks who cancelled planned vacation because they are being paid to stay at home.

I don’t have a hate-on for psu workers, I do feel the regular taxpayer should not be on the hook to fund entitlement benefits the general public gets.

It used to be a public servants got mediocre wages but fantastic job security. Now they get over the top benefits good wages and benefits most private sector workers can't dream of all on top of the job security. When does this stop?

It used to be a public servants got mediocre wages but fantastic job security. Now they get over the top benefits good wages and benefits most private sector workers can't dream of all on top of the job security. When does this stop?
I would hope that this was enough with the largest dumpster fire of government spending in the history of the country but obviously not. This has pretty much proven that governments have no interest in actually balancing spending and income (including Douggie who should have whacked the teachers and put them all on CERB like the rest of the country).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom