Coronavirus | Page 135 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theoretically speaking.....IF I have COVID-19 and I have very mild symptoms as right now, is there any way I could volunteer to help with blood / plasma or whatever else to donate for research?

I don't think I have it, but the mind wanders and maybe I do but with mild symptoms (dry cough).
We should experiment on you and see what makes you better or worse ;)

Theoretically speaking.....IF I have COVID-19 and I have very mild symptoms as right now, is there any way I could volunteer to help with blood / plasma or whatever else to donate for research?

I don't think I have it, but the mind wanders and maybe I do but with mild symptoms (dry cough).
Thanks for reminding me to donate.

Do politics belong in this thread? Idiot Scheer just had a press conference to ***** about carbon tax and making it easier for businesses to access wage subsidies. Wage subsidies make sense, the six week plus period before they can be possibly accessed will mean a lot of companies wont have employees (or even companies in some cases) to subsidize. Shut the hell up about carbon tax right now. It affects peoples lives insignificantly at this point and the gov't is spending out great grand kids money at a rapid pace. All efforts should be focused on the current problem. After this passes, then decide how carbon tax should be dealt with.

:)

Awe man the onion is some funny stuff.
they have some good writers - I mean ventilator pipelines?!?!

Thinking way down the road and the bills have to be paid.

Andy is a mechanic running a one man shop and rents an industrial unit from Barry who, to buy it, borrowed $300K from Charlie. Charlie cashed in a term deposit to get a better rate on a mortgage and desperately needs the income.

COVID 19 hits and Andy's clients drop off to the point where he can't pay the rent. Due to the general downturn in business Barry's unit isn't worth the mortgage but the unit is in his name as is his million dollar house. Charlie has to borrow to pay room and board.

This happened in the early 1990s without the C-19. What will be different with the C-19 bailout packages?

I suspect that like people on ventilators, many will not survive.

Private funding for business: In perilous times would you loan anyone money at 1-2%? Credit will be tight.

In other threads there are discussions on near new bikes for sale but not worth the lien and oil patch worker toys are similar markets. Toys are not assets.

Thinking way down the road and the bills have to be paid.

Andy is a mechanic running a one man shop and rents an industrial unit from Barry who, to buy it, borrowed $300K from Charlie. Charlie cashed in a term deposit to get a better rate on a mortgage and desperately needs the income.

COVID 19 hits and Andy's clients drop off to the point where he can't pay the rent. Due to the general downturn in business Barry's unit isn't worth the mortgage but the unit is in his name as is his million dollar house. Charlie has to borrow to pay room and board.

This happened in the early 1990s without the C-19. What will be different with the C-19 bailout packages?

I suspect that like people on ventilators, many will not survive.

Private funding for business: In perilous times would you loan anyone money at 1-2%? Credit will be tight.

In other threads there are discussions on near new bikes for sale but not worth the lien and oil patch worker toys are similar markets. Toys are not assets.
Small business interest free loan (CEBA) gives you a 40K loan at zero percent for a few years, then low rate for a few years. If you pay 75% off by a deadline (IIRC four years or so), they forgive the last 25%. To qualify you need to show T4's for >50K. D'oh. Payment via dividends just cost me 10K.

Do politics belong in this thread? Idiot Scheer just had a press conference to ***** about carbon tax and making it easier for businesses to access wage subsidies. Wage subsidies make sense, the six week plus period before they can be possibly accessed will mean a lot of companies wont have employees (or even companies in some cases) to subsidize. Shut the hell up about carbon tax right now. It affects peoples lives insignificantly at this point and the gov't is spending out great grand kids money at a rapid pace. All efforts should be focused on the current problem. After this passes, then decide how carbon tax should be dealt with.
It just went up again, April 1st by 50%

It just went up again, April 1st by 50%
Oh, I know, I think it is dumb on a lot of levels. However, that ship has sailed. It is done. Spending gov't time and resources to try to unwind it at this point is even dumber.

Douggies press conference on modelling is not going well. The docs keep referencing a slide deck and talking about specific items on graphs and the news isn't broadcasting the slides.

Deaths over pandemic (maybe 18 to 24 months with multiple waves) with no action would have been 100K in Ontario. Because of current actions and future further restrtictions we will be 3000 to 15,000 deaths depending on compliance. GG-we are at ~80 right now for those saying covid isn't a problem. I know a friend of a friend that has died but no direct connections for me yet.

Surge ICU beds (existing plus what can be brought online) with amazing public compliance may be barely sufficient. With non-compliance the required beds blows past available beds.

Testing backlog has been eliminated. Testing residents and employees of LTC homes is a priority GG-not sure about this unless they had a rapid test for employees as they entered. Once it's in a home, the fire has been lit and sadly it will burn until it is out of fuel.

Critical look at "essential" workplaces. They cannot shut everything down because people need healthcare, groceries and pharmacies GG-about time, hopefully they are less dumb about it this time. Start with healthcare, groceries and pharmacies and if someone else wants to work, they need to prove they are directly servicing one of those streams (eg. mechanic could fix a nurses car but not a bankers car) if asked by authorities. Non-compliance should be a huge fine.

Crackdown on non-compliance of existing rules.

Typical seasonal flu deaths are 1350. So we are looking at two to 10 times that.

Last edited:
1600 deaths and 80,000 cases by Apr 30 (so less than half of the total predicted deaths in the next month)

Slide deck for ON press conference here:

There is a lot of value in developing antibody testing for this reason. I know if I had it and was past it I would be volunteering anywhere I could, food bank, whatever (beyond my essential service work). Yes, lots of anecdotal talk of people getting it twice, I would take the risk on that.

Even for medical, stores etc. people who have the antibodies can be rotated into higher risk roles...

Without true antibody tests that is tough.

I am so very confused wether a temporary layoff amounts to constructive dismissal.

From the ESA (https://www.ontario.ca/document/your-guide-employment-standards-act/termination-employment#section-3)
"If an employee is laid off for a period longer than a temporary layoff as set out above, the employer is considered to have terminated the employee’s employment. Generally, the employee will then be entitled to termination pay."

Ok, cool, less than 13 weeks equals a temporary layoff, employee is not entitled to any termination pay

Based on this legal article (Protecting your right to impose temporary layoffs - Emond Harnden)
"Despite an employer’s right to temporarily lay off an employee under the ESA, where an employment contract does not provide for the possibility of such a layoff, Ontario courts have sided with laid off employees who claim to have been constructively dismissed."

So unless your employment contract has a statement allowing for temporary layoffs, you can sue for termination pay.

Makes no sense
And to further complicate matters, I would hope that when some of the inevitable lawsuits make it to court, the justice system will tell them to f right off (assuming the employer followed the expected pattern of can everyone until country restarts than hire everyone back). This is not a normal situation where the employer wants to get rid of Bob without paying severance.

The green mile in Alderville right now has 50+ car lineups. The chiefs declared an emergency and all pot shops have to close by 18:00 today. Once again, another level of government closing things in the future and causing a huge rush now. Idiots. If it is an emergency and needs to close, it is closed. Right now. Listen to the words coming out of my mouth. Do not come. It is closed.

If you look at the stats, it is an old person problem. They are the ones that are getting the most infections, and ending up in the hospitals with the severest cases. If the gov't is to intervene, then put them on house arrest, they'd probably be safer that way. Not to mention, they have nothing better to do, they're retired. Not allowing a pb&j sandwich at school because a very small percentage of kids has an allergy to peanuts is ridiculous.
Another sad fact is I can guarantee depression and suicide rates are going to skyrocket because of this financial shutdown. A vast majority of people here are paycheck to paycheck, losing their houses and cars isn't going to do them any good.
Are you for real?

An old person problem my @$$, straight from govt website. Half the cases reported are under 50. And i know some people have gotten the symptoms and haven't been able to get tested either...so numbers are underreported.
1585935323249.png

Now for the allergy thing... have you ever gone into anaphylactic shock. Let me tell you it's not a fun experience. One in 13 canadians has a deadly allergy. We have 2 million kids in school. That's 153 846 kids that could potentially die from something completely preventable, a food preference. The kid didn't ask to be allergic. You can eat peanut butter anywhere else. Autoimmune issues are on the rise so we should just ignore the problem?

I know Sick Kids is actually trying to work on a "cure" to allergies which is great, but we didn't get to that stage by ignoring the issue.
Right now from your post, i'm getting a "it doesn't matter, they old" kinda deal... but without them, we wouldn't be there, they deserve to live as well.

Boooo Dougie. Still lip service. Basically keeps pulling from pulling residential permits but allows existing work to continue. Does he not understand what essential means? He used the example of a house that should be completed in two weeks should be finished so the family can move in. So if that is the scenario, set a hard stop on residential construction in 15 days. A bleeping 50 storey highrise is built on one permit once out of the ground so work will never need to stop.

Some positives though. It looks like hardware stores are curb-side or delivery only, no more wandering around.

Drycleaners are still essential.

Last edited:
Hiiilarity. Dougie is getting N96 masks from Woodbridge by the millions. "They are one better than N95". Aaaamazing. You can't make this stuff up.

The green mile in Alderville right now has 50+ car lineups. The chiefs declared an emergency and all pot shops have to close by 18:00 today. Once again, another level of government closing things in the future and causing a huge rush now. Idiots. If it is an emergency and needs to close, it is closed. Right now. Listen to the words coming out of my mouth. Do not come. It is closed.
Can't they just buy it online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom