Coronavirus | Page 88 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed the part where the lungs are full of fluids and an iron lung won't help. The iron lung is more for a person that is paralyzed.
An iron lung makes it easier for the patient to breath on their own :| nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe? I thought they weren't full, just lots of fluid. Is the problem your diaphragm can't get enough pressure/gets tired or is the problem you need to bubble oxygen through the fluid?

I'm lost on this. If the lungs are full how do you squeeze in air even with a ventilator?

I'm lost on this. If the lungs are full how do you squeeze in air even with a ventilator?
I don't think full is full. I suspect the fluid is in many of the smaller passages. Think sponge not bag of milk. I could be wrong though.

Also, if they were partly full, they wont be 100% full, so using O2 helps the remaining functional volume more effectively transfer. I'm not sure if you can get localized oxygen toxicity or just global. If you can get away with it, increasing the pressure in the lungs a bit could increase the partial pressure of 02 further to drive transfer, but I don't know if that can work. Normally, if you breathe 02 at too high a partial pressure you are facked (well your brain is anyway). I'm not sure if you can do PP 02 at 1.2 with 30% lung capacity to get you back to 0.4 which is ok or if the 1.2 will destroy your lung cells.

this one is interesting
anyone care to take a shot at explaining the weird curvature?

ehBvpI6.jpg

this one is interesting
anyone care to take a shot at explaining the weird curvature?

ehBvpI6.jpg
I don't trust any data right now due to the sketchy selection process of who gets tested and then the long delays between testing and results. Once this is over and data is plotted using onset of symptoms or test date instead of results date, it will be easier to draw conclusions.

In other news. This does not necessarily mean you can catch it via contact after 17 days. Depending on your view, this could be good or bad. It sticks around, so if catchable, it's bad, if not, it's good because they might be able to "test" all passengers after they got off the ship to see who was infected (like the ship that unloaded in Sydney prior to a positive test).

"The coronavirus RNA was found on surfaces of the Princess Cruise ship up to 17 days after passengers disembarked, new research by the CDC shows."

We all thought you were working on it! :ROFLMAO:
Apparently I have made more headway then most :|

"I'm lost on this. If the lungs are full how do you squeeze in air even with a ventilator?
It begins with an understanding of how the body draws air into the lungs.
bottom line is: if you put the persons body into a chamber with the head sticking out and you apply a vacuum to that chamber to effectively reduce the atmospheric pressure on the part of the body you breath with, well that makes it a hell of a lot easier because your mouth is still at normal atmospheric pressure outside the chamber ;) so no your coffin idea sucks.

Oh and obviously you would like to cycle this vacuum at the same rate as their normal breathing, you don't want to make it one big last breath.

Apparently I have made more headway then most :|

"I'm lost on this. If the lungs are full how do you squeeze in air even with a ventilator?
It begins with an understanding of how the body draws air into the lungs.
bottom line is: if you put the persons body into a chamber with the head sticking out and you apply a vacuum to that chamber to effectively reduce the atmospheric pressure on the part of the body you breath with, well that makes it a hell of a lot easier because your mouth is still at normal atmospheric pressure outside the chamber ;) so no your coffin idea sucks.

Oh and obviously you would like to cycle this vacuum at the same rate as their normal breathing, you don't want to make it one big last breath.
An important question is how much pressure is required to ventilate a patient with ARDS? If it is a lot, your iron lung could potential suck the *&^*& right out of them. With pressure changing so quickly, the rest of your systems that contain gas don't have time to equilize. Come to think of it, if you really had to suck hard, could your box give someone the bends? Quite possibly. Again, I have no idea whether a ventilator being used for ARDS operates at 0.01 psi, 0.1 psi, 1 psi or 10 psi. Obviously old school iron lungs were <<1 psi or you wouldn't be able to move that bellows.

An important question is how much pressure is required to ventilate a patient with ARDS? If it is a lot, your iron lung could potential suck the *&^*& right out of them. With pressure changing so quickly, the rest of your systems that contain gas don't have time to equilize. Come to think of it, if you really had to suck hard, could your box give someone the bends? Quite possibly. Again, I have no idea whether a ventilator being used for ARDS operates at 0.01 psi, 0.1 psi, 1 psi or 10 psi. Obviously old school iron lungs were <<1 psi or you wouldn't be able to move that bellows.
If you are building it at home you are going to be lucky to do much different or better then a vintage one. I don't think the patient will implode from a moving bellows. lol so no we are not going to put the patient in a 14 foot culvert and have a 9 foot piston stroke and their neck totally sealed in :|

If you are building it at home you are going to be lucky to do much different or better then a vintage one. I don't think the patient will implode from a moving bellows.
They also may not get sufficient ventilation if the pressure differential is not enough. As others have said, iron lungs were primarily for paralysis so you had healthy lungs with no useful diaphragm. Unhealthy lungs change things some.

They also may not get sufficient ventilation if the pressure differential is not enough. As others have said, iron lungs were primarily for paralysis so you had healthy lungs with no useful diaphragm. Unhealthy lungs change things some.
Correct but they can't help but get improved ventilation.
Look in old pictures, all those patients are not paralyzed.

an iron lung is no substitute for a ventilator
but combined with oxygen it may help

just guessing but I figure the very ill
also develop problems with the mechanics of breathing
it certainly couldn't hurt

Super easy to make one for a dog or cat size patient. Cardboard box with a cardboard box lid.
;) veterinary trick

looks like the torque curve on my RD350

ySe09SJ.jpg

but seriously, hope we can flatten the thing that's going vertical

Torque curve on a RD is almost flat. ;)

Stuffer-fuer-RD350-Membrane-30mm-rund_b5.jpg

bad chart
torque on that goes dead vertical from 0 to 4500 RPM
and it's strange the way it's drawn
why is 0 to 4500 all bunched up like that?

an non-YPVS RD does not come on the pipe until around 7
then you have a band of 1000 RPM fighting to keep the front tire down
I know what that looks like on a chart
it ain't flat my brother

bad chart
torque on that goes dead vertical from 0 to 4500 RPM

You're looking at the HP. Torque is the bottom lines. It's basically flat. Where the HP comes on is dependent on pipe design.

Near zero HP at close to idle? I don't recall them being that bad. Even the 200 twin.
Maybe the dyno was too big for the bike.

Reactions: J_F
X = RPM
Y = power, it's German so can't tell what the unit is, assuming it's NM and not HP

the X axis has unusual spacing, as I stated, maybe because as Trials said, it's specific to the dyno

and my original statement indicates I was talking about my RD350
it had porting work, aftermarket expansion chambers and jetting to make it run properly
it did not have a flat torque curve?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom