Coronavirus | Page 87 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they ever get disinfected
I can't believe there is not a relatively easy way to make one.
Iron_lungs.JPG
It all depends on how much medical grade and tested for every situation matters to you. Physically making a respirator is easy. Confined swept volume at a specified rate of sweeps/minute. You should to add some safety features like overpressure relief so you don't pop the patients. Not sure if they do negative pressure for exhalation or if that happens naturally, either way, not hard to incorporate in the system.

What if it is a simple as you pumping the thing by hand while you watch the person trying to breath :|
.... I like to plan ahead just incase.

It all depends on how much medical grade and tested for every situation matters to you. Physically making a respirator is easy. Confined swept volume at a specified rate of sweeps/minute. You should to add some safety features like overpressure relief so you don't pop the patients. Not sure if they do negative pressure for exhalation or if that happens naturally, either way, not hard to incorporate in the system.
Do you think a CPAP could work?

What if it is a simple as you pumping the thing by hand while you watch the person trying to breath :|
.... I like to plan ahead just incase.
In a hospital scenario, who is doing the pumping? No visitors allowed in. No staff available for a 24/7 job like that. If you are making this at home, I might use a couple air cylinders (one small diameter using shop air to provide the push, the other larger cylinder [hopefully 02 cleaned with nitrile o rings so you dont inhale flames] to feed your lungs.) Adjusting the air pressure in the first cylinder adjusts the strength of the push on your lungs. Flow control on the first cylinder adjusts the speed. A moveable switch adjusts the volume (and resets the cylinder to the start). A few check valves and bingo, bango, breathing.

I don't know how much pressure they can put out, nor how much you need for a ventilator. You need the control to do the pulsing as CPAP is constant positive pressure, but that is relatively simple (especially if the asshats with the knowledge give it up for temporary use).

EDIT:
If they really wanted to do something cool, what about taking patients on the brink and prefilling their lungs with Perflubron? Hopefully that is enough to stop filling your lungs with useless liquid and then you just need a steady flow of reoxygenated liquid that could be done with any of the thousands of peristaltic pumps in a hospital. I am pretty sure they have had mice "breathing" liquid before, but I'm not sure it has ever had a human trial.

EDIT 2:
Yup. Could work. Bring on the future. You need 5 to 10L/minute of fluid exchange though. Probably not possible with most peristaltic pumps.

"In 1989, human trials began in Philadelphia. Several near-death infants suffering from severe respiratory distress were administered total liquid ventilation—completely filling the lungs with PFC fluid vs filling them to their functional residual capacity—and showed some remarkable physiological improvements, including lung compliance and gas exchange. And that might just be the trick.

During normal development, the fetus' lungs are filled with amniotic fluid and, once they're born, a chemical known as surfactant helps prevent the lungs from collapsing. Premature babies, however, have not yet developed enough surfactant to prevent their lungs from folding in on themselves, so when they're suddenly exposed to a gas atmosphere they struggle just to breathe.

The Philadelphia trials aimed to see if liquid ventilation could accurately recreate conditions within the womb, act as an artificial surfactant, and reduce the neo-natals' stress. While the efforts weren't enough to save lives, the lung performance improvements remained even after removing the ventilator, and proved that liquid ventilation was a potent therapy for premature babies."

Last edited:

My niece works for a CPAP manufacturer and I had a long discussion with her dad on the subject. It's a common subject. There are lots of pressure differences as well as humidity and temperature controls. Dry air dries the lungs and too wet floods them. Scuba gear also gets mentioned. Nothing in medicine is simple and there are lots of double edged swords. Fix one problem and create another.

There's a video of a Chinese family keeping a member alive for years on a hand powered one. I'd give it a shot if a two week period got me through the disease. The Chinese guy is on one because he is paralyzed.

My niece works for a CPAP manufacturer and I had a long discussion with her dad on the subject. It's a common subject. There are lots of pressure differences as well as humidity and temperature controls. Dry air dries the lungs and too wet floods them. Scuba gear also gets mentioned. Nothing in medicine is simple and there are lots of double edged swords. Fix one problem and create another.

There's a video of a Chinese family keeping a member alive for years on a hand powered one. I'd give it a shot if a two week period got me through the disease. The Chinese guy is on one because he is paralyzed.
Fall asleep and grandpa's dead? I would be looking for a redundant system asap. Thumbs up to the family for putting in the effort though.

In a hospital scenario, who is doing the pumping? No visitors allowed in. No staff available for a 24/7 job like that. If you are making this at home, I might use a couple air cylinders (one small diameter using shop air to provide the push, the other larger cylinder [hopefully 02 cleaned with nitrile o rings so you dont inhale flames] to feed your lungs.) Adjusting the air pressure in the first cylinder adjusts the strength of the push on your lungs. Flow control on the first cylinder adjusts the speed. A moveable switch adjusts the volume (and resets the cylinder to the start). A few check valves and bingo, bango, breathing.

I'm trying to figure out the part that gets shoved down the windpipe instead of the other whatchamacallit pipe.

Interesting to see the response from the corporate world. I have been on a lot of internal / external customer calls. The general attitude is that this will be another week and everything is going to go back to business as usual. As soon as someone brings up that this might be another month or two it gets shut down instantly. Grasping at straws to how they can justify staying open currently, etc. Zero long term planning seems to be happening.

I think once we get close to April things are going to hit the fan.

You could make one out of a big cardboard box or a plastic culvert if you had nothing else. Yes it's an iron lung like I suggested about a week or more ago.
Ventilators is what they are screaming for on the TV news, 80% patients need them where there would normally be 30% that's not going to improve by the time you need one. Patients complain they can't catch their breath.

I'm trying to figure out the part that gets shoved down the windpipe instead of the other whatchamacallit pipe.
I haven't handled one personally, but I think it is a breathing tube attached to a tube with a balloon. You inflate the balloon to keep it in there. Should be simple enough to come up with something if that is a supply constrained part.

You could make one out of a big cardboard box or a plastic culvert if you had nothing else. Yes it's an iron lung like I suggested about a week or more ago.
Ventilators is what they are screaming for on the TV news, 80% patients need them where there would normally be 30% that's not going to improve by the time you need one. Patients complain they can't catch their breath.

You missed the part where the lungs are full of fluids and an iron lung won't help. The iron lung is more for a person that is paralyzed.

Reactions: J_F
looks like the torque curve on my RD350

ySe09SJ.jpg

but seriously, hope we can flatten the thing that's going vertical

Interesting to see the response from the corporate world. I have been on a lot of internal / external customer calls. The general attitude is that this will be another week and everything is going to go back to business as usual. As soon as someone brings up that this might be another month or two it gets shut down instantly. Grasping at straws to how they can justify staying open currently, etc. Zero long term planning seems to be happening.

I think once we get close to April things are going to hit the fan.
All im doing is long planning, want a job? lol.

You missed the part where the lungs are full of fluids and an iron lung won't help. The iron lung is more for a person that is paralyzed.
Maybe? I thought they weren't full, just lots of fluid. Is the problem your diaphragm can't get enough pressure/gets tired or is the problem you need to bubble oxygen through the fluid?

Ya, I posted that a long time ago too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom