Coronavirus | Page 358 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your account, I think it has been hacked by the NDP....

All kidding aside, I agree but it should be more gradual not step in all at once. $5M is as good a place to start as any.
Not sure how we got here from Corona, but I'll play along.

NDP is now the centrist party. If they weren't backing up the Liberals at every step, I'd consider voting for them.

The problem is that the way the taxes are said to be intended, and the way they actually apply always ends up different.

The rich have the mobility of their money, and the resources to move it around into the new tax havens, the middle class, not so much, so they end up eating the bulk of the tax increase. Remember Trudeau's big tax hike on the 1%? I sure do.

Great news Z. If you need some help getting the hot tub, I am sure you could recruit some strong but dumb GTA backs.
Aww thanks. Softub is the current solution. Hopefully the Hydromate will be all checked out soon and I can order the other stuff I need.

I will pickup the pavers this week. Will post pad pics.

Just checked the worldmeter site. Another.bad day south of us. If this is "rounding the curve" then thank goodness they are not still going straight.

Then again apparently Trump defeated the pandemic? White House Declares Pandemic Over As It Cites Renowned Scientist Ivanka Trump

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Aww thanks. Softub is the current solution. Hopefully the Hydromate will be all checked out soon and I can order the other stuff I need.

I will pickup the pavers this week. Will post pad pics.

Just checked the worldmeter site. Another.bad day south of us. If this is "rounding the curve" then thank goodness they are not still going straight.

Then again apparently Trump defeated the pandemic? White House Declares Pandemic Over As It Cites Renowned Scientist Ivanka Trump

I put a chart up three or four posts back that shows that it's not as dire in the U.S. as many would have you believe. At least compared to Europe at the moment. I checked the U.S. deaths per million and New Jersey and New York are still well ahead. We and the U.S. haven't seen the sudden upswing, that's raging through Europe at the moment. If you look at the case fatality rate, Canada has finally fallen below 5%. For a long time we were more than double that of the U.S. So, it depends on which stats you use, how you display them, and also which stats you don't use. If you're pulling news you'll need to take a mix of left, right & centre sources, and then do the work yourself. They no longer do it for you.

That was not the point either, keep guessing you'll get it eventually.
I hate to break it to you . . Eventually we will all be exposed .

The key point is if you have risk factors, try to delay that until you are vaccinated.

Even if you dont have risk factors, we obviously dont know the long term effects. It could be like the flu and after you recover it is like it never happened or it could be polio and you have a lifetime of consequences. Probably more likely option 1 but insufficient evidence to rule out option 2 at this point.

Not sure how we got here from Corona, but I'll play along.

NDP is now the centrist party. If they weren't backing up the Liberals at every step, I'd consider voting for them.

The problem is that the way the taxes are said to be intended, and the way they actually apply always ends up different.

The rich have the mobility of their money, and the resources to move it around into the new tax havens, the middle class, not so much, so they end up eating the bulk of the tax increase. Remember Trudeau's big tax hike on the 1%? I sure do.
It was a joke as Mike us usually much more right leaning than his comment. I think everyone else got it....

The key point is if you have risk factors, try to delay that until you are vaccinated.

Even if you dont have risk factors, we obviously dont know the long term effects. It could be like the flu and after you recover it is like it never happened or it could be polio and you have a lifetime of consequences. Probably more likely option 1 but insufficient evidence to rule out option 2 at this point.

There is a chance a meteor will fall out of the sky and kill you .

I know several people that had the VID all that needed hospitalization had secondary factors . The rest had little or no symptoms . They are all doing well with no long term effects . But live in fear if you want . Take the experimental vaccine if you want . I'll pass on the new vaccine .

I put a chart up three or four posts back that shows that it's not as dire in the U.S. as many would have you believe. At least compared to Europe at the moment. I checked the U.S. deaths per million and New Jersey and New York are still well ahead. We and the U.S. haven't seen the sudden upswing, that's raging through Europe at the moment. If you look at the case fatality rate, Canada has finally fallen below 5%. For a long time we were more than double that of the U.S. So, it depends on which stats you use, how you display them, and also which stats you don't use. If you're pulling news you'll need to take a mix of left, right & centre sources, and then do the work yourself. They no longer do it for you.

It's no longer fatality rates that are the issue....people with Covid are surviving with hospitalization better than they did in March but the key is the hospitalization ....beds are still filled with extra people having a knock on effect on everyone else. Europe is just seeing this now with its second wave. Beds are being filled with coronavirus patients. Add to this the possible long term effects and it’s still not something you want to get.

I was speaking to my Neighbor last night. She is a Pulmonologist and has been working 12 hour days for Public Health since this whole thing started. First, A big shout out to her and everyone like her in the healthcare field. Those folks have given a lot and I’m sure have saved countless lives through their actions.

She did have a rather interesting take on what advice you should and should not follow.

She is off the opinion that you really need (at the very least) a NIOSH certified N95 respirator that has a strong head band and not just loops over the ears. They also have a shelf life of 5 years from the date of manufacture so checking the date is important.

While a paper mask or bandana may help to catch large water droplets in the air, eventually the drops evaporate allowing the virus to migrate across the loose weave so you can still breath it in. She thinks it’s better than nothing, but protection is ineffective at best and this has not really been well communicated by anyone, hence the rise in cases even with face coverings. People simply think that any mask makes them invincible.

She also thinks that the paper masks with the loops are one time use only, once you come out of a store throw it way. if there are contaminated droplets on it they will evaporate leaving the virus there for the next time you wear it.

She also recommended wearing a face shield. One way for a virus to enter the body is through mucus membranes which include the eyes. If you walk through a shower of water droplets the virus can enter the body that way.

She also said (speaking of mucus membranes) wash your hands well BEFORE you go to the bathroom as the urinary and fecal tracks can also provide a path or the virus into the body assuming it’s already on your hands. This is the primary way virus’s like HIV are spread

Its an interesting take. She has been following these protocols for 6 months and has not tested positive yet, although she deals with Covid patients on a daily basis.

if we have not already been exposed, likely true, I never thought otherwise :I it's a pandemic.
Stay healthy, it's your best defence.

I was speaking to my Neighbor last night. She is a Pulmonologist and has been working 12 hour days for Public Health since this whole thing started. First, A big shout out to her and everyone like her in the healthcare field. Those folks have given a lot and I’m sure have saved countless lives through their actions.

She did have a rather interesting take on what advice you should and should not follow.

She is off the opinion that you really need (at the very least) a NIOSH certified N95 respirator that has a strong head band and not just loops over the ears. They also have a shelf life of 5 years from the date of manufacture so checking the date is important.

While a paper mask or bandana may help to catch large water droplets in the air, eventually the drops evaporate allowing the virus to migrate across the loose weave so you can still breath it in. She thinks it’s better than nothing, but protection is ineffective at best and this has not really been well communicated by anyone, hence the rise in cases even with face coverings. People simply think that any mask makes them invincible.

She also thinks that the paper masks with the loops are one time use only, once you come out of a store throw it way. if there are contaminated droplets on it they will evaporate leaving the virus there for the next time you wear it.

She also recommended wearing a face shield. One way for a virus to enter the body is through mucus membranes which include the eyes. If you walk through a shower of water droplets the virus can enter the body that way.

She also said (speaking of mucus membranes) wash your hands well BEFORE you go to the bathroom as the urinary and fecal tracks can also provide a path or the virus into the body assuming it’s already on your hands. This is the primary way virus’s like HIV are spread

Its an interesting take. She has been following these protocols for 6 months and has not tested positive yet, although she deals with Covid patients on a daily basis.

She is in a different environment, though. What she is saying absolutely makes sense for her situation - she needs to protect herself from known infected people. There IS virus in the air where she is working, and on surfaces. It has to be kept out. Only a good fitting N95 mask will do that.

For the rest of us, on the small chance that we ourselves are infected, we want to minimise the chance of spreading it to others. It really doesn't matter that the paper masks could have viruses retained on them ... the most likely source of that virus is you. If you're already infected, it doesn't matter that it's getting on your mask. If you're not already infected, the virus is not there. These masks ARE NOT perfect and no one has ever denied that.

YES, a N95 mask will provide better protection. If you can find them. And provided that your hoarding them isn't depriving them from someone who needs them more. A normal fabric/paper mask that you are wearing, will provide better protection than the N95 mask that you can't get.

If you have an unlimited supply of N95 masks ... have at it.

From day 1 WHO stated on their website only a N95 mask was effective, with an explaination. I remember people posted all those DIY facemasks online made with paper towels etc... bunch of garabage. Anyhow when dealing with the masses must be challenging, as we have all seen heard opinions etc, at least having some simple message out there and getting people on board is better then doing nothing. Those who want to take it a step further can. Whenever I am out I never try to touch my face/eyes and wash throughly as soon as I get home.

You need to be clean shaven or masks are useless, I got out of PPE testing for years because of that,
told them I'd have to go full on man in the bubble suit.
u-g-Q1315DC0.jpg

If that situation is reflective of reality then there is only one way this virus is going away: get the case numbers down with a complete and total lockdown for a month. Everyone gather up supplies for a month and shelter in place. For most, that's home, for others (essential) it's at work, for some it will be in their police cars with the job of rounding up anyone not complying. At the end of that month, total contact tracing for as long as it takes to eradicate it. If it gets out of control then lockdown again. Any country not able to get it under control gets excluded completely from interaction with those that do. The conspiracy theorists would love it.

....NDP is now the centrist party. If they weren't backing up the Liberals at every step, I'd consider voting for them...
Centrist? Liberals have moved left into NDP space, not the other way around. When the public isn't watching finances, you can go as far left as you like!

These days our PC parties considered at center by pretty much any definition I have ever known.

Centrist? Liberals have moved left into NDP space, not the other way around. When the public isn't watching finances, you can go as far left as you like!

These days our PC parties considered at center by pretty much any definition I have ever known.
Let me explain. There is no time. Let me sum up:
Liberals under Trudeau have moved left of the NDP.
NDP is now the middle party, between the Libs and the PC's.
They are closer the the Liberals, but they are in the middle (somewhere).

p.s. I'm thinking Bob Rae style NDP, as that's the only example I know of.

Let me explain. There is no time. Let me sum up:
Liberals under Trudeau have moved left of the NDP.
NDP is now the middle party, between the Libs and the PC's.
They are closer the the Liberals, but they are in the middle (somewhere).

p.s. I'm thinking Bob Rae style NDP, as that's the only example I know of.
Not sure if I totally agree with you.

Trudeau is certainly further left than the Chretien regime. However, I will totally agree with you with respect to the Wynne regime. That was a very, very left winged agenda. They did a lot of good things but wowsa what a lot of waste and boondoggles.

I left bad for Horvath. They were kind of left with no where to go. The Wynne regime had made so many promises and had done a lot of progressive things already. What could Horvath offer? Similar agenda but with better fiscal management?

At that point the pendulum just had to swing. Thankfully Ford (for the most part) has governed with a bit of the old PC mindset and has not gone all Conservative ala the Harris years.

I kind of miss some of our old politics with the mushy middle being there and the Liberals and PCs straddling the margins to the left and right. Now the Liberals are further left than they used to be and Federally the Conservative party is definitely further right than the PC party I remembered

Just the same I am happy that we have multiple parties and that for the most part I can still discuss politics with coworkers and friends without anyone getting unduly angry. However, I find things more contentious than they used to be.

I am doing my best to avoid getting too dogmatic. I tend to be a Liberal and sometimes NDP voter but I voted Harper in and out. I voted Ford. There you go...

Not sure if I totally agree with you.

Trudeau is certainly further left than the Chretien regime. However, I will totally agree with you with respect to the Wynne regime. That was a very, very left winged agenda. They did a lot of good things but wowsa what a lot of waste and boondoggles.

I left bad for Horvath. They were kind of left with no where to go. The Wynne regime had made so many promises and had done a lot of progressive things already. What could Horvath offer? Similar agenda but with better fiscal management?

At that point the pendulum just had to swing. Thankfully Ford (for the most part) has governed with a bit of the old PC mindset and has not gone all Conservative ala the Harris years.

I kind of miss some of our old politics with the mushy middle being there and the Liberals and PCs straddling the margins to the left and right. Now the Liberals are further left than they used to be and Federally the Conservative party is definitely further right than the PC party I remembered

Just the same I am happy that we have multiple parties and that for the most part I can still discuss politics with coworkers and friends without anyone getting unduly angry. However, I find things more contentious than they used to be.

I am doing my best to avoid getting too dogmatic. I tend to be a Liberal and sometimes NDP voter but I voted Harper in and out. I voted Ford. There you go...

Big issue I have is that we haven't had a budget in a long, long, time. The last one seems to have been in March 2019: Cdn Fed Bud
We have no idea how much has been spent or wasted in that time, and it's not just covid. There doesn't seem to be a sense of accountability with the current government. They appear to be basing their policies on appearances, rather than actualities. Once the shoe drops, we're going to be much worse off than those we're complaining about constantly down south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom