Coronavirus | Page 301 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots on the ball there, either he can't remember how many times last week or even today somebody shoved a plastic stick 3 inches up his nose, or he is being tested orally.

While progress is encouraging, and investment unprecedented, work on coronavirus vaccines has been ongoing since the 60s without success.

There's lots of coronavirus vaccines. We have one every fall for seasonal influenza which is also a cornavirus.

And nothing pushes science to make new breakthroughs like a pandemic and the endless research dollars that come along with it. If cancer suddenly started killing 20% of the population and the world focused its attention and endless research dollars on it (versus the relative drop in teh bucket they work with now) we may develop a cure for it as well inside a year or three.

Anyhow, best approach right now, vaccine aside, is a treatment. Even if people continue to get sick with it if we have a treatment that can reduce it to the severity of a bad cold or a minor flu, suddenly that's a game changer.

I also fear we are become hygiene fatigued. I already see it. A month ago everyone Sanitized hands upon entering any store. Since masks became mandatory, sanitization and gloves seem to be less of a priority. No more wiping down cart handles, hand sanitization stations are going unused.

It's not really because we've got fatigued, it's because as science has learned more about Covid19 we've increasingly come to the understanding that the contact method of transfer is very low risk comparatively. So, now knowing what we know, the extreme levels that were being taken early on (cart sanitation, gloves everywhere, wiping down every grocery item you bring in the house, sanitizing your doorknobs and doorbell buttons, steering wheel, door handles, etc etc etc ad infinitum) isn't really necessary anymore - just wash your hands after being out and you're gonna be OK....the risk is primarily breath related now.

There's lots of coronavirus vaccines. We have one every fall for seasonal influenza which is also a cornavirus.
Close, but incorrect. Both can be respiratory, flu is influenza virus, Covid-19 is corona virus, as are many common colds that we have never been able to solve with vaccines. Flu and Covid are very different animals.
And nothing pushes science to make new breakthroughs like a pandemic and the endless research dollars that come along with it. If cancer suddenly started killing 20% of the population and the world focused its attention and endless research dollars on it (versus the relative drop in teh bucket they work with now) we may develop a cure for it as well inside a year or three.
I think the US NIH and NCI Cancer research is about $50billion a year, compared to an estimated $6B on COVID.
Anyhow, best approach right now, vaccine aside, is a treatment. Even if people continue to get sick with it if we have a treatment that can reduce it to the severity of a bad cold or a minor flu, suddenly that's a game changer.
Either would be acceptable.
It's not really because we've got fatigued, it's because as science has learned more about Covid19 we've increasingly come to the understanding that the contact method of transfer is very low risk comparatively. So, now knowing what we know, the extreme levels that were being taken early on (cart sanitation, gloves everywhere, wiping down every grocery item you bring in the house, sanitizing your doorknobs and doorbell buttons, steering wheel, door handles, etc etc etc ad infinitum) isn't really necessary anymore - just wash your hands after being out and you're gonna be OK....the risk is primarily breath related now.
Great insight. I think I'll forward your post to the WHO so they can update their info Modes of transmission of virus causing COVID-19: implications for IPC precaution recommendations.

Great insight. I think I'll forward your post to the WHO so they can update their info Modes of transmission of virus causing COVID-19: implications for IPC precaution recommendations.

Article is from March and is also specific to healthcare environments which do not translate to the world outside a hospital. A doctor or nurse working with a Covid patient in an indoor environment where exposure to bodily fluids is direct (IE, you might be sticking your finger in their mouth, or sticking a test stick in their nose potentially initiating a coughing or gagging reaction) is very different than you and I going to the grocery store.

think the US NIH and NCI Cancer research is about $50billion a year, compared to an estimated $6B on COVID.

Citation? Current numbers (again, not from months ago, this is moving at a lightening pace) should be drastically higher - I found numbers well exceeding 6b globally in articles dating back to May, much less now many months later.

He's been the National Security Advisor for 10 months. He was due to get called an idiot and fired soon, anyway.

Ya gotta love McNinney. A reporter pointed out that Trump called people idiots and losers when he fired them so why did he hire them in the first place.

McNinney's answer was that the president liked having different points of view.

Stand up comics don't need writers any more.

One of the reasons why I don't like the mask frenzy:

One of the reasons why I don't like the mask frenzy:
Well if he was wearing a mask and face shield, he would have been protected from the crazy. :D

As a private citizen, I'm not going to impose masks on others however those that choose not to wear them need to realize that their choice may limit where they are allowed to go and what they are allowed to do for a while. Mask people shouldn't be attacking no-mask people outdoors at a distance where afaik nobody requires or recommends them. No mask people need to stop bitching about being persecuted because they don't believe the law should apply to them.

Dun Dun Dun. MLB suspended the Marlins temporarily. Up to 15 players infected. IIRC they were at 7 yesterday or the day before.

Yes I know where, I stopped there on the way back Moonbeam last year, saw the polar bear at the toursit centre (y)
On the same trip, met a lady in North Bay who showed me photos of snow in May...
All nice country up that way, but yikkies!

Moonbeam!!

only 2 good things about that stretch of road
the UFO
and burning off carbon!

OLtS4v0.jpg

Moonbeam!!

only 2 good things about that stretch of road
the UFO
and burning off carbon!

OLtS4v0.jpg
Awesome!

There was a interesting part before you get to moonbeam a small town with a couple of iron bridges, and interesting church off to the side.

Reactions: J_F
Smooth Rock Falls?
had a nice breakfast there....even though I don't parlez-vous

I came from the other direction - Thunder Bay
700 km of straight nuthin
discovered my trip meter has max speed storage

ain't gonna share that number

Well, I equate the mask thing to seat belts.
When seat belts were put into law, people freaked out and complained about rights and freedoms.

You have to pander to the lowest common sense in order to be successful.

Saw a sign on Reddit a while back, but I can’t find it at the moment.

“If your mask is working fine, why do I need have my rights infringed open and be forced to wear one?”

Sign right beside the first one - obviously a protest, but supremely logical.

“If your seat belts and air bags work fine, why do you care if I drive drunk?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the funniest thing I've seen on the anti maskers...

Iluwz1H_d.webp

Last edited:
what is it that politicians need to use the words, we have been doing the good work, the good work we've done, and we will continue to do good work, seems the words good work in there mind makes it sound more important

what is it that politicians need to use the words, we have been doing the good work, the good work we've done, and we will continue to do good work, seems the words good work in there mind makes it sound more important
It’s all about the sound bites. Nothing else. Whatever sounds good to pacify the majority is what they go with.

I hate masks, I keep misplacing mine. Then they've got to be washed again, because I don't know where they've been. Could be one of PP's fun furry friends has gotten a hold of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom