Coronavirus | Page 244 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would have been much better if the government experts had been honest and forthright from the beginning. First they said no masks, then changed to masks, without sufficient explanation or acknowledgement of their error. No wonder people are confused, upset and even defiant.
I'm pretty sure they said no masks because there was a shortage of PPE for the people that actually needed it more than others...front line workers. Once that settled up they eased up as supply started catching up (as far as I can tell).

In addition, this is a new virus and everyone is learning about what's going on, transmission method, risk factors, symptoms, etc...it's better that the message is adjusted as new information is brought forward...the scientific way. Better than doubling down on wrong information in the face of new facts.

I'm pretty sure they said no masks because there was a shortage of PPE for the people that actually needed it more than others...front line workers. Once that settled up they eased up as supply started catching up (as far as I can tell).

In addition, this is a new virus and everyone is learning about what's going on, transmission method, risk factors, symptoms, etc...it's better that the message is adjusted as new information is brought forward...the scientific way. Better than doubling down on wrong information in the face of new facts.

All good points but this situation would be far further ahead if everyone worked as a team. Too many researchers are hogging the puck because they want their name on the cure.

All good points but this situation would be far further ahead if everyone worked as a team. Too many researchers are hogging the puck because they want their name on the cure.
Agree 100%. Imagine the world wide fame if you're first to market with a vaccine. Frak...your earning potential is limitless.

Not unusual, we see the exact same thing with cures for Cancer and pretty much all other diseases. Even looking at charity collection within a country. How many Cancer charities do we have in Canada collecting money to find a cure? Each one with its own overhead (admin and marketing) then they fund the money to researchers that want to be the ones who find the cure, not really working for the greater good in total cooperation. Of course each one of these charities is competing for donations with each other, so a large part of our donation does not even go towards finding a cure, instead it goes to marketing to out compete each other for our donations. Then there is general admin multiple times over....

Totally crazy IMO.

Anyone actually tried to get masks? I have some crappy ones (elastic keeps separating from the mask) from amazon I ordered a while back. Hard to get now. It’s all well and good being asked to wear masks when out.

Anyone actually tried to get masks? I have some crappy ones (elastic keeps separating from the mask) from amazon I ordered a while back. Hard to get now. It’s all well and good being asked to wear masks when out.
Our neighbours have a team of sewers in woodbridge cranking out cloth masks. <$10 each. I would want a proper mask if I was dealing with active covid patients, but for exposure to general public, cloth is probably sufficient.

Not unusual, we see the exact same thing with cures for Cancer and pretty much all other diseases. Even looking at charity collection within a country. How many Cancer charities do we have in Canada collecting money to find a cure? Each one with its own overhead (admin and marketing) then they fund the money to researchers that want to be the ones who find the cure, not really working for the greater good in total cooperation. Of course each one of these charities is competing for donations with each other, so a large part of our donation does not even go towards finding a cure, instead it goes to marketing to out compete each other for our donations. Then there is general admin multiple times over....

Totally crazy IMO.
Off topic but I agree...I understand the marketing, overhead, and ancillary costs that come with running these operations. But for some of them making minimal funding to actually work on the cures is ridiculous. Hundreds of millions of dollars in these 'charities' sitting in bank accounts just collecting interest and earning money for the holders...ridiculous.

Our neighbours have a team of sewers in woodbridge cranking out cloth masks. <$10 each. I would want a proper mask if I was dealing with active covid patients, but for exposure to general public, cloth is probably sufficient.
While the N95 masks would be great for everyone, that's not feasible right now. Best use of the mask is to keep you from touching your own face right now until you wash your hands properly.

While the N95 masks would be great for everyone, that's not feasible right now. Best use of the mask is to keep you from touching your own face right now until you wash your hands properly.
I have a dozen or so from construction projects. I don't where them out often now, I use a cloth mask. People are accepting of cloth but give you stink eye if you have N95 as they think you are hoarding it or stealing it from healthcare or something.

There are youtube videos showing how to make non-N95 spit barriers out of a blue shop cloth, elastic bands using a stapler.

Totally crazy IMO.

A lot of fund raising is contracted out to professionals (Telemarketers) and they take a big cut.

Because the $100 you give is a tax credit it usually isn't worth squat on your tax refund. If you handed a needy person $90 cash both of you would be better off. Hard to do that with research.

I have a dozen or so from construction projects. I don't where them out often now, I use a cloth mask. People are accepting of cloth but give you stink eye if you have N95 as they think you are hoarding it or stealing it from healthcare or something.

Spit guard cloth or CV-19 N95? What is the risk factor? Fifty people go into an infected area with 25 wearing N95s and 25 wearing spit guards. What is the infection rate difference?

I asked someone knowledgeable and they said the PIPs (People in power) don't want you to know because????

Will it scare people and create panic if the numbers are bad?

Will it make people careless if the numbers are good?

Will it create tin foil hat theories?

Saw a guy at HD a few days ago with a stylish FILA one. I want one of those. Should've asked him where he got it.

Spit guard cloth or CV-19 N95? What is the risk factor? Fifty people go into an infected area with 25 wearing N95s and 25 wearing spit guards. What is the infection rate difference?

I asked someone knowledgeable and they said the PIPs (People in power) don't want you to know because????

Will it scare people and create panic if the numbers are bad?

Will it make people careless if the numbers are good?

Will it create tin foil hat theories?
Good questions. I obviously don't have the answers. Based on what I have seen the majority of the mask benefit is minimizing droplets in the air from you in case you have it. Very few masks worn for a long period of time will maintain a useful seal and ensure that all of the air is filtered (especially on exhale). For this purpose, I suspect (but obviously have no scientific information to back it up) that cloth vs N95 vs blue shop towels are close to equivalent when you are in public and trying to maintain distance from people.

My favorite is I have seen a few people with cartridge respirators. All have had them flipped down as they were probably too hot and annoying to wear.

A lot of fund raising is contracted out to professionals (Telemarketers) and they take a big cut.

Because the $100 you give is a tax credit it usually isn't worth squat on your tax refund. If you handed a needy person $90 cash both of you would be better off. Hard to do that with research.
The fundraising scam is a travesty brought on by bureaucracy. Hospitals like to work with budgets. Company A comes and says we will give you $3,000,000 next year if you let us fundraise for you. Hospital has guaranteed income and is happy. Company A then hustles to get donations. If they get $8,000,000, they keep it (minus the promised three and their expenses). Sure it may drive up the guaranteed amount for next year, but you donation is helping the telemarketer, not the hospital this year. I don't know what happens if they collect less than $3,000,000. My suspicion is they bail and come back as Company B next year.

Good questions. I obviously don't have the answers. Based on what I have seen the majority of the mask benefit is minimizing droplets in the air from you in case you have it. Very few masks worn for a long period of time will maintain a useful seal and ensure that all of the air is filtered (especially on exhale). For this purpose, I suspect (but obviously have no scientific information to back it up) that cloth vs N95 vs blue shop towels are close to equivalent when you are in public and trying to maintain distance from people.

My favorite is I have seen a few people with cartridge respirators. All have had them flipped down as they were probably too hot and annoying to wear.

Actually my cartridge one is more comfortable. My wife's cheapie N95 hurts her nose.

This is correct, for the general public masks and even face shields do very little to protect you. What both do is capture or at least reduce your droplet travel distance, protecting everyone else from you. This means absolute distance between people can become smaller.

My guess is even a basic cloth mask made the correct way (multiple layers of closely knitted non stretch fabric) will have pretty good effectiveness. Droplets will get caught or at least slowed way down...

I have homemade cloth ones in the truck.

I have my N95s for construction sites.

I ordered and carry with me Walmart 'surgical' appearance masks that I use for shopping trips.

If the US opens their border to us and N95s are available there can we exit Canada,go shopping and come home? I expect 14 days of isolation coming back. We're trading mixing with the heathens for N95 masks. Is it worth it?

If the US opens their border to us and N95s are available there can we exit Canada,go shopping and come home? I expect 14 days of isolation coming back. We're trading mixing with the heathens for N95 masks. Is it worth it?
Hell no. Get them shipped across the border. If someone has to walk into a store and buy them and deliver them to fedex it's still easier and cheaper than a 14 day lockup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom