Coronavirus | Page 242 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "locked themselves away" people seem to come in different variants. I bumped into someone online yesterday who was freaking out to the extreme about the prospect of even picking up takeout at the back door of a local pub that is doing takeout now. They have a pretty good system setup where it's contactless.

She said she hasn't been inside a store since the second week of March and has barely even been outside her house. There was no apparent reason why except for an irrational fear.

These people are going to have trouble adjusting.

Anyhow, I went to the Princess Auto in Whitby today. Pretty good system limiting the people in store, one way aisles, most of the usual stuff. I wore my mask, and about 75% of the others in the store were as well. It seemed surreal almost being in an actual retail store again for something other than groceries.

I just wish people would be more aware of the rest of the world going on around them. Now is not the time to park your ass in an aisle and stare at something intently on a shelf for 5 minutes when there's 2 other people waiting behind you to pass.

We're planning on going north to the cottage for at least a night. We bought all our supplies (liquor, groceries, propane, etc.) and don't plan on going to the local store.

Am I an ******* for doing that? I'm not planning on talking to anyone or even going to the beach, just get out of town with the wife and kids for a change of scenery. Hopefully I don't get a rock through my window.

They don't want you there but they'll happily take your property tax dollars that allow them to pay a much lower rate on their properties. I see nothing wrong with going to the cottage as long as you are self isolating. You pay taxes on it and make a contribution to the community. If they don't want you there then they should issue you a rebate on taxes you pay while being denied use of your property.

I think social distancing went out the window today :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . Lots of bikes out and in groups, lots of people at the cottage as well.

Saw this group on Steels while I was waiting to make the right.

bikers 01.jpgbikers 02.jpgbikers 03.jpg

Another group hanging out a Tim's, I was getting fuel. HWY 12 & 15 :oops:

social distancing.jpg

I think social distancing went out the window today :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . Lots of bikes out and in groups, lots of people at the cottage as well.
as expected.

We went through a lot of cottage towns on Saturday. They were ghost towns compared to what would be a normal May long weekend.

CP24 was also doing live broadcasts from the service plazas on Highway 400 that would normally be clogged with campers and cottagers headed north. They were also comparatively empty.

Yes, people were out, but to suggest it was a free for all and "things were back to normal" is a bit disingenuous.

We went through a lot of cottage towns on Saturday. They were ghost towns compared to what would be a normal May long weekend.

CP24 was also doing live broadcasts from the service plazas on Highway 400 that would normally be clogged with campers and cottagers headed north. They were also comparatively empty.

Yes, people were out, but to suggest it was a free for all and "things were back to normal" is a bit disingenuous.

IMO a slow opening is a good thing. We can watch the curve and pull back or ease up depending on the trend. If no one goes out we don't learn. If too many go out we can't handle what we learned.

There is too much B.S. on the subject, here and in the USA. Not all Muricans are howling at the beaches and bars.

Too much wishy washy from the politicians and experts. It is a fact that the human telegraph distorts the news and once a tidbit goes past six people there is no resemblance to what was originally said. Thanks to the internet the telegraph just works faster and goes further. There is no light at the end of the tunnel just the echoes of falling dominoes.

Let's not forget that in order to make this virus go away in time, we don't need to eliminate *all* person-to-person transmission, and we don't need to wait for a vaccine. What is needed is to keep that infamous R (the number of people that a given infected person will in turn infect) below 1, and keep it there long enough for the number of active infected people to dwindle.

This is also why "flattening the curve" doesn't result in the same number of cases (and the same number of deaths) over time - it reduces the number of cases, and it reduces the number of deaths.

Hopefully, in the USA, even with their re-opening of the economy, enough people will be careful by just enough to achieve that. Not everyone needs to be careful, just "enough" people need to be careful.

We will find out how effective that strategy is ... in three or four weeks.

Agree. I think we will be successfull here with the exception of hotspots, probably in the bigger cities where the percentage of DILLIGAF whackos is higher.

But that percentage is far higher in the USA, and with the premature opening of "business as usual" in a lot of places without any regards to achieving the flattening we've accomplished here, I think the picture will be quite different.

Wasaga Beach was a ghost town. Sure there were a few places rented but overall maybe 10% of what’s normal on May 24 weekend....and we’ve been going every May 24 for 25 years.

I had a talking to that Wasaga doesn’t allow daytime burning and Fire Chief is in the neighbourhood so I put the fire out and waited until 5pm exactly as I didn’t want to piss off the locals that watch over our property.

also spoke with another neighbour and they said during the last 2 weeks the cops showed up at 2 parties and fined everyone for not social distancing.

overall no issues but OPP were out in full force on the 400, and the kids had a great time.

Agree. I think we will be successfull here with the exception of hotspots, probably in the bigger cities where the percentage of DILLIGAF whackos is higher.

But that percentage is far higher in the USA, and with the premature opening of "business as usual" in a lot of places without any regards to achieving the flattening we've accomplished here, I think the picture will be quite different.

As of right now, from worldometers, in Canada, "daily new cases" 1070 for 18th May, lowest number since 12th April, down from the peak of 1800-ish 3 weeks ago excluding a one-day spike that is probably an accounting correction. "daily new deaths" 60, lowest since 10th April. And we know that over 80% of the deaths in Canada have involved long-term-care facilities.

In USA, "daily new cases" 22,630, down from peaks of 36,000ish 3 weeks ago. Their "daily deaths" have an odd weekly pattern to them that looks like reporting not being done during the weekends the same as it is mid-week. It's 1003, roughly the same as it was exactly one week ago, down from 1324 two weeks ago, 1383 3 weeks ago. So, there is an irregular down trend, but it is slow progress. Proportionally it's tracking along the same shape as Canada's curve but at double the rate per capita ... It's unclear if the USA has proportionally similar effects in their long-term-care homes.

I guess this was going to happen, so close to the end of the year.

The more interesting but not unexpected announcement was all overnight camps are shut down for the summer. Most are pretty far away from anywhere so realistically, they will have close to zero revenue this year as day camp attendance would be abysmal. I don't know how well funded they are, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some ownership changes/consolidation as the ones backed by a giant war chest try to corner the market for next year.

The more interesting but not unexpected announcement was all overnight camps are shut down for the summer. Most are pretty far away from anywhere so realistically, they will have close to zero revenue this year as day camp attendance would be abysmal. I don't know how well funded they are, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some ownership changes/consolidation as the ones backed by a giant war chest try to corner the market for next year.
It should be interesting to see what happens to these camps. I have a friend who runs one and she like me has been out of work since this all started. I can't see how this can go back to normal for some time, even with distancing these kind of situations/services don't lend themselves to it. Especially when you see a new outbreak in kids in France who went back to school. Still a bit of road to travel before we get close to some normalcy.

Big business opportunity to deliver sedatives to frazzled parents. Maybe new pandemic games involving dart guns or blowpipes?

It should be interesting to see what happens to these camps. I have a friend who runs one and she like me has been out of work since this all started. I can't see how this can go back to normal for some time, even with distancing these kind of situations/services don't lend themselves to it. Especially when you see a new outbreak in kids in France who went back to school. Still a bit of road to travel before we get close to some normalcy.
It's started. Who wants a girl guide camp on 118? It's actually a great price for a cottage lot. 360 acres with 5800' of waterfront for <3M. A one acre cottage can go for that easily.

who here thinks it should be mandatory to get a vaccine and if a person don't get it what is the opinion?

who here thinks it should be mandatory to get a vaccine and if a person don't get it what is the opinion?
I'm ok with a general vaccine policy that prohibits access to the vast majority of publicly funded facilities (schools, recreation centres, etc) if you choose not to get your children vaccinated (and that includes religion). If you medically cannot be vaccinated, you are one of the ones that needs society to help you and you are not constrained. The above applies for all major communicable disease vaccines (MMR, Corona, etc). If it is a choice (including religion) that you are not vaccinated, you can home school your kids and keep them out of public buildings as obviously your idiocy (or religion) is more important than the safety of vulnerable in society.

Implementing this four months ago was likely impossible. It may be able to happen now (schools are easy, they already check, recreation facilities just swipe a health card to get in and the computer flashes yes or no).

You can't force someone to get a vaccination. You can severely restrict what they are allowed to do without one, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom