Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist! | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

My tester at Hamilton, Susan was resonable. I asked her before hand regarding posted limits and flow of traffic and her response was ride as the situation dictates.

Just passed this afternoon, in pouring rain mind you, up in Aurora. The examiner was really cool. His big thing was mainly making sure you made exaggerated mirror and blind spot checks (this way he can see the helmet moving) as well as consistently riding on the correct tire track.

Was easy and the test was quick.

Drumega said:
Just passed this afternoon, in pouring rain mind you, up in Aurora. The examiner was really cool. His big thing was mainly making sure you made exaggerated mirror and blind spot checks as well as consistently stayed on the correct tire track.

Was easy and the test was quick.

When I took my test, that is also what I noticed what the emphasis was, on mirror / shoulder checks, and tire track. This why I dont see the point in taking the m2 exit at a school, if you have any reasonable amount of experience

Hey guys, I was trying to book my test at Downsview online but it said the test I want to book is not available at that location.

Have they stopped testing for the M there?

maximusbibicus said:
Hey guys, I was trying to book my test at Downsview online but it said the test I want to book is not available at that location.

I have my Test at downviews on Aug. 23. But I called in and booked it.

Garfield said:
maximusbibicus said:

I have my Test at downviews on Aug. 23. But I called in and booked it.
Thanks bro. Seems like it was a site glitch. It showed up a half hour after.

Good luck with the test, and let us know how it goes. I am probably doing mine there.

Well, I got my full M today at downsview..

It was pretty easy. Just read the guide and follow that to the letter and you should pass very easily.

Remember to do a shoulder check to the right before making a right turn.

Can I get some clarification on the left leg for stops. Can I place both feet down once bike has come to a complete stop and brake light (front) remains on?

spankayf said:
Can I get some clarification on the left leg for stops. Can I place both feet down once bike has come to a complete stop and brake light (front) remains on?

They don't care which leg(s) come down, as long as the brake light remains on the whole time.

it's best to keep you left leg down, while waiting. and always keep your bike in gear. Also, you should never have your bike in neutral. Hope that helps.

What you do on the test vs. what u do in real life may be different, but go by the text book for the test.

I'm ok with the bike in gear but keeping just one leg down with the FJR wont be easy and could cause a bobble depending on the road surface.

spankayf said:
I'm ok with the bike in gear but keeping just one leg down with the FJR wont be easy and could cause a bobble depending on the road surface.

You don't have to keep one leg down. My examiner said he didn't care if I put 3 legs down as long as when I plant my foot to stop I leave it planted. As long as you don't do that "walking the bike thing" we all sometimes do you'll be fine with putting both feet down and not losing any marks.

more advice

Hi,

I passed my M in Oshawa over the summer and I meant to share a tip or two, because I actually failed the test in my first minute! They did not stop me or anything, but when I left the mall where the test site is, I turned right into the farthest lane because there was a bus stop and the lane ended closely up ahead. Well, apparently if you do not turn into the closest lane to you, it is a "highway act violation". I was so ******! I've never heard of anyone in the history of driving getting a ticket for turning into the far lane. I actually did it twice, because there was once when the was a massive 18-wheeler in the lane, so I turned into the far lane. WRONG! I assume I was suppoed to turn into the close lane, stop behind the truck and change into the far lane when safe. ERG! Otherwise, i would have passed.

So, I re-booked a test for the next week and passed.

Incidentally, the examiner made a HUGH difference. The first time a had a couple of guys who were not friendly and just ordered me around with the pre-amble. (my headset worked just fine. you can adjust the volume before you leave). The second time I went for my test, a very nice middle-aged woman introduced herself and actually told me what she would be looking for and asked if I had any questions and smiled, too!
I assume the first guy was very pleased to be a goverment representative, whereas the woman liked people and did not try to fail people for irrelevant reasons.

Note on Oshawa: I don't have a map in front of me, but you turn right out of the mall, then turn left at the light were there is a main road. After a few blocks you turn left (no light) into a residential area where there are many turns. They asked me to do a road-side stop twice in a short while in this area. After you make 3 turns, there is a street that does not have a stopsign, so keep an eye out.

As for the roadside stop, I made sure there was no driveway or bus-stop and then shoulder checked, signalled, leaving signal on, stopped, put stand down, get off bike. I actually turned off my bike each time and they did not fault me for it. I left the key in the "electric signals will work" position. I think they want you to get off the bike and stand away from it, like you would on the highway.

After that they took me though many turns into more traffic, on and off highway - make sure to be at speed before merging and do not slow down when getting off until after you have changed into the exit lane.

Follow all the other advice about headturning and stopping. Be sure to check that all your signals and lights work before you arrive, as they will ask you to demonstrate that they work. I was lucky and found out before the test that my back light was not coming on without significant pressure, so I was able to tinker with it.

Good luck!

Blue-J.

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can post the route for the road test in Aurora?

Thanks!

What is with {gears: change gear in intersection?} Are we not suppose to shift in an intersection?

Towelie said:
What is with {gears: change gear in intersection?} Are we not suppose to shift in an intersection?

Yes, you're not suppose to shift gears in an intersection. I suspect the reason for this is for safety;

- can cause you to weight transfer and loose control in the middle of the intersection.
- may not go into gear and you will stop in the middle of the intersection.
- other reasons.

Re: more advice

blue-j said:
Hi,

I passed my M in Oshawa over the summer and I meant to share a tip or two, because I actually failed the test in my first minute! They did not stop me or anything, but when I left the mall where the test site is, I turned right into the farthest lane because there was a bus stop and the lane ended closely up ahead. Well, apparently if you do not turn into the closest lane to you, it is a "highway act violation". I was so (this was a bad word!)! I've never heard of anyone in the history of driving getting a ticket for turning into the far lane. I actually did it twice, because there was once when the was a massive 18-wheeler in the lane, so I turned into the far lane. WRONG! I assume I was suppoed to turn into the close lane, stop behind the truck and change into the far lane when safe. ERG! Otherwise, i would have passed.

Blue-J.

I took a run out to the Oshawa testing centre and I see what you mean. That curb lane ends about 25 metres past the driveway. How you can turn into it and then safely move to the left lane if a vehicle is there is beyond me. Just another example of how poorly the M road test reflects real world riding. Oshawa has some peculiar intersections as well. I wonder if the driver test runs the same routes as the bike test?

My wife Tammy, is booked this week for her M test in Oshawa. We actually went for a ride this evening around the area. Gave her the pointers I think she will need to pass.

For those who have done their test in Oshawa. Has everyone, been made to dismount their bikes for the roadside stop? I remember when I did mine. We only had to raise our arms and one foot. In order to prove we had the bike stopped.

...and yes, that one lane is rather short when making a right out of Midtown mall.

Back
Top Bottom