Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

Wow, thanks for the sheet :)

Going to do my test in Oshawa very soon, does anybody know the route they use? Also, how do they feel about not-so-stock exhaust? It isn't deafening by any means, but definately louder than stock.

Thanks!

I'm going to take my M in Oshawa too. Do they use the residential and industrial streets around the MTO site or are there any specific roads they take you to?

Thanks

Well, turns out pipes are no big deal. The test went well :D Do a couple of emergency stops, watch your tire track, on the highway, off the highway, etc, and its all over before you know it ;)

Thanks so much for this post as I probably would have failed my test...how quickly one develops bad habits after a couple years of riding.

Happy to report i passed my test with flying colors. did it from the downsview location. wanted to say thanx for this post as it made me a little more at ease with what to expect. thanx again.

I passed at the downsview location. We drove along Sheppard to the Allen. Then south to Allen (few lane changes etc.), then off at Lawrence. Got right back on the Allen going north. Few more lane changes, and exited at Wilson Heights. North on Wilson Heights until Sheppard. Left onto Shepard. Few more lane changes. Left into the downsview airport. Made a road side stop in the industrial part of the airport roads. Back onto the industrial roads and back to the downsview road test center parking lot.

My only two words of advice. Watch your speed! I failed once on my M test because i was doing 98km/h in an 80 zone (thinking that the Allen was a 100 zone.) So, if there is NO ONE else around you, do the speed limit. If you need to speed to get to the flow of traffic that is ok. I.E., if they say make a lane change and there is a tremendous amount of speeding traffic, and you can't avoid it, make the lane change at an increased speed, and once you are in the lane, slow down to the proper posted speed limit (not likely that some car will ride your *** during the exam, because the examiners are pretty good at following you. Sometimes they make the lane change first, in order to block traffic for you as you are instructed to make the same lane change.

Last bit of advice, never rush anything. I was told to make a lane change into the passing lane, and I saw that there were two cars in the distances moving pretty quickly. I put on the signal, and must have waited about 10-15 seconds (which is a long time in driving world) to make a lane change. I just let the fast guys pass, and made the lane change without having to speed up, because there was no one else behind them to cause me to speed.

I passed the second time, I was confident in all of my actions, and I took my time with each instruction, don't be affraid to ask the examiner lots of questions prior to the test. You could even ask the approximate route that you will be going, so that you can have an idea in the back of your mind as to where you will be making turns, etc. etc. One question that you can ask the examiners, as I am sure it will throw them off; (because they never actually introduce theirselves, i find them to put on a blended robot face, like any government worker should- but they are people just like the rest of us) - before you go ride, ask them for their name. You'd be surprised what's under their shell.

good luck

Is anyone familiar with the marking scheme on the test sheet? There are a number of boxes for each error, and each is numbered. For instance, there are 4 boxes for "following too closely" while turning left, and they are numbered 1-4.

When calculating the final error total, I assume that each checkmark counts as a single error. Or does the second error count for two, the third for three, etc?

I also assume that once the boxes are filled, they stop marking you on that error. So if you follow too closely through 4 left turns and fill up all the boxes, will you pick up another error for following too closely for the fifth time?

Ash said:
Is anyone familiar with the marking scheme on the test sheet?

Good question.

If I remember correctly they mark you a X for each error you make, starting with box 1. If you make the same error again you get another X next to it (box 2) and so on until you fill up all 4 boxes. Then they stop marking that mistake (although I suspect they can mark other boxes that are related). Each box is worth 1 points and all across will get you 4 points.

m2x

Just did the test in Barrie. If your not faimiliar with the area it is definatly not the easiest place to go (busy and odd intersections) but I passed anyway and all the advice I have seen on this thread is great and helped, here's my two cents.

I think you need to relax during the ride (no easy task when being tested)
Keep your head moving, they need to see your helmet move or they can't tell if your looking around, if you have a solid colour helmet put a few stickers on the back on the day of the test so they can tell your helmet is moving ( double check all intersections, parked cars,etc)
Watch your speed (the posted limit is the maximum not suggested)
Smooth exceleration and smooth stopping (they are looking for control)
Full stops behind the line and a bike length from other cars
Left foot down, right on the brake (no neutral ever)
And remember to over act shoulder checks (an extra one doesn't hurt)
Obviously proper lane position is also important.
If you can do all this you'll be fine.

And if you fail it really isn't the end of the world, you'll just be really prepared for your second time :)

Stopping

I'm taking the m2 exit in oshawa this wednesday.

Is there some special dance you need to do when "stopping", like killing the engine, being in gear, signals, angle, kickstand or any other details like those? Do you get off the bike?

Since I know I won't be actually leaving the bike I'd likely forget something I'd normally remember like the kickstand for example if I didn't get off.

Thanks

Carmen

Re: Stopping

cbranje said:
Is there some special dance you need to do when "stopping", like killing the engine, being in gear, signals, angle, kickstand or any other details like those? Do you get off the bike?

You're talking about the emergency stop part of the test?

If so yes. I was told the most common mistake during this portion is people forgetting to put the stand down. The tester will ask you to make an emergency stop at any point (except highway I believe) of the test.

The process is as follows;

1. Check your surroundings.
2. Check that it is safe/legal to pull over (ie. don't stop at a fire hydrant or no stopping zone)
3. Signal and pull over safely.
4. Park bike a safe distance to the curb (i.e. 2-3'). Parallel to curb but watch for slopes and act accordingly.h
5. Put bike into neutral.
6. Check with tester before if they want you to shut of bike (some say leave it running). Shut it off if wanted.
7. Put down stand. Make sure bike is stable
8. Check around you.
9. Get off bike (step behind bike)
10. Tester will ask you to continue.
11. Check surroundings
12. Get on bike, put up stand, start bike if off
13. Shut off signal.
14. Shoulder check
15. Signal other way
16. Shoulder check and merge back onto street.
17. Don't forget to shut off signal (other error common to this portion).

That should be it, but it's been some time since I've done this.

thanks to the sticky, and some of the posts in this thread, i passed today at downsview with flying colours. the test was very easy

matthew said:
thanks to the sticky, and some of the posts in this thread, i passed today at downsview with flying colours. the test was very easy

nice work !! i remember riding with you a while back. hope to see you out on the streets soon!

New arrival here from the UK. I'm having my my UK licence experience credited and just have to do the M2 exit test. I've got a test booked next week in Hamilton. Anyone got any advice/tips about the probable test route there.... I've never been to Hamilton!!

Just passed/aced the M2X this morning at Downsview, the test took about 0.5 hrs, very easy. Went south keele, 401E, Allen north, Sheppard West, and did the Emergency stop right outside the Drive test parking lot. Examiner was very nice. Only problem was hearing the radio transmissions. If you read the Motorcycle handbook and just do everything safe you'll be fine.

Good luck!!

Just passed with the Ministry this afternoon also. It was an easy test; this sticky was a great help.

I'm with the previous post. I had a heck of a time hearing instructions through the headpiece. Mind you, my bike has loud pipes and I had on a beanie. If I had it to do over, I'd wear my full face helmet for this reason.

Walkerton M2 exit?

Hi there. Has anyone done the M2 exit driving test in Walkerton, Ontario? I am scheduled to do this in a couple of weeks.

I just passed today at Hamilton. Test is very easy IF you follow the checklist. Thanks to Car2slo for sharing this :D

Just passed on Sunday

I just passed my M2X test on Sunday, going through Humber. Having gone through the course, I can say that it isn't necessary to pass the test, if you read and follow the directions on this sticky. However, I wanted to take the course so I could have my riding assessed by the instructors, to make sure I haven't picked up too many bad habits over the last 4 years. Also, if you are at all nervous about the test, or don't do well in testing situations, it might be advisable to go for the course. The guys at Humber really went out of their way to put everyone at ease for the test.

All in all, I don't begrudge the extra money I spent, and given the chance to do it again, I would still take the course. But if you want to do things as quickly and cheaply as possible, just go through the ministry.

One other item of note -- I don't know how picky the Ministry examiners are regarding speed, but the guys from Humber don't really care as long as you keep it in reason. They certainly didn't blink when I was doing 60-70 in an industrial section with no posted limit (i.e. 50 zone) -- there were some fun curves :twisted: . On the highway they advised that we should be at the speed of traffic when merging onto the highway (usually 110-120), and then slow down to the speed limit when you have safely merged -- I think I stayed up around a buck ten, and they didn't say a word.

Back
Top Bottom