Clutching Problem | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clutching Problem

Go to a parking lot, or a nearby quite street and.....

practice practice practice

'ride' the clutch starting out in 1st or 2nd, until you get better with your shifts. . .
all other shifts (once you are moving nicely) you can clutch in and out as normal. . .

[video=youtube;XDMivP58Smw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDMivP58Smw[/video]

Been riding a couple of months and this is what worked for me as a newbie:

From stop to 1st gear:
- Pull in clutch, shift bike from neutral into first gear.
- Give your bike around 3000-4000 rpm of throttle.
- Gentle release your clutch till you achieve the friction zone.
- When the friction zone is reached, release a "little" more so your bike starts to move. As your bike starts to move, gently give a "little" more gas to speed up. You're now riding the friction zone!
- Once you start to move in a balanced manner, you then release your clutch all the way and as smoothly as possible. *If needed, apply a bit more throttle at this point.*

Riding your clutch is a balancing act of clutch and throttle control.

Last edited:
Maybe you're worried about giving it too much throttle so instead of playing with that, keep a constant throttle and ease out the clutch.

you don't need to give it gas to find the release point. when practicing in a lot, let the clutch out slowly w/o any gas. when your bike starts pulling you forward.. there you go. At the right point it can be stronger than you think. then you can give a bit of gas and find out what your RPM's should be at to not wreck your clutch. Keep practicing with that point and you will develop muscle memory and not think about it. If it is uncomfortable where it is, try playing with the lever (on lever hinge, #1 through 6 i think...). These numbers change will make the lever sit a bit further or closer and make it more to what you like.

Maybe you're worried about giving it too much throttle so instead of playing with that, keep a constant throttle and ease out the clutch.

this is some great advice that everyone can use...tnx, i'll certainly try this method out

Get an experienced rider to ride your bike and tell you if its the bike or if it's you.

My bf has taken my bike out before and said that my throttle has about a cm of play before it kicks in. That may be the problem.

But someone has mentioned before to get my bike up to 3000 or 4000 rmp and then gentely release the clutch, that helps a lot. Thanks Jonnie!!!

using only two fingers to operate the clutch also gives more precise control as opposed to using all four.

I'm having the same problem as the OP, been riding an automatic transmission scooter for 2 years want to move up to a 'real' bike now but having trouble getting a hang of the clutch, don't want to go for another test ride looking like a tool until I've had some more practice... Don't currently own my own manual bike, and don't want to buy a bike to find out later that it isn't right for me... Bit of a Catch 22 huh?Anyone in Hamilton/Burlington wanna let me practice on their bike? :) the one dealer I talked to suggested I try a dirt bike...Looks like most of the courses offered in the area require you to bring your own bike...

I'm having the same problem as the OP, been riding an automatic transmission scooter for 2 years want to move up to a 'real' bike now but having trouble getting a hang of the clutch, don't want to go for another test ride looking like a tool until I've had some more practice... Don't currently own my own manual bike, and don't want to buy a bike to find out later that it isn't right for me... Bit of a Catch 22 huh?Anyone in Hamilton/Burlington wanna let me practice on their bike? :) the one dealer I talked to suggested I try a dirt bike...Looks like most of the courses offered in the area require you to bring your own bike...

If you buy a 125/250 you won't have any (big) problems with the clutch. OP is having problems because they ride a bigger bike. Those smaller bikes are a lot more noob friendly.

Also, stop looking at your tach as you start off from a stop. It's a common newbie mistake to do that.

If you buy a 125/250 you won't have any (big) problems with the clutch. OP is having problems because they ride a bigger bike. Those smaller bikes are a lot more noob friendly.

Yeah, I wanted to test drive a 900 but couldn't get the clutch without stalling. I should probably try a smaller one as you suggested, but I doubt any dealer wants to let me use their demo bikes to practice.

Was not watching the tach at all actually...

I stand corrected on the training programs not providing bikes, I was looking at the M2 Exit courses which do not but the entry level (M1->M2) courses all seem to provide bikes. Perhaps I just need to bite the bullet and take one of those even though I already have my M2... I wonder if any of them would be willing to give a discount considering I don't need to do the test again.

Back
Top Bottom