Cheap GPS device @ Canadian Tire, may be great for warm weather rides. | Page 36 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap GPS device @ Canadian Tire, may be great for warm weather rides.

I have the GPSMAP 78s and I'm disappointed in the unit - scrolling is laggy and the 3-axis compass doesn't work as well as promised.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely take it into account. 78 has buttons on top which I don't like for motorcycle application.

Here are the options I narrowed down to so far:

http://www.gpscity.com/compare/62s&78&60csx&76csx

62s is probably the best bet, but it's at the top of my price range. They have 76csx on sale for a very good price, but it's a discontinued model (not that it matters much in itself) and I'm not sure if it has all the features I need.

None of these are sold in local stores with good return/refund policy :((

I was saying that the Curtis was a temporary solution.. Recently downloaded 2011 maps :cool:

I was saying that the Curtis was a temporary solution.. Recently downloaded 2011 maps :cool:

If I could get it to accept routes I create in Google maps I probably wouldn't be actively looking for anything better for at least a few years. Where did you get the new maps from?

If I could get it to accept routes I create in Google maps I probably wouldn't be actively looking for anything better for at least a few years. Where did you get the new maps from?

Torrents.. That's where I also got the 2009 NorthAm maps and 2010 for Europe, including native tongue voices/menus as I gave one to my stepmom and she doesn't speak a word of English (and no, she doesn't live in an English-speaking country).

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely take it into account. 78 has buttons on top which I don't like for motorcycle application.

62s is probably the best bet, but it's at the top of my price range. They have 76csx on sale for a very good price, but it's a discontinued model (not that it matters much in itself) and I'm not sure if it has all the features I need.

None of these are sold in local stores with good return/refund policy :((

Buttons on top? Not sure what you mean... I had a 76csx but I lost it in a canoe tipover (yes, it floats - but the canoe tipped over in a river at dusk and I searched for an hour but couldn't find it :( ) I replaced my 76cxs with the 78s and the button layouts are very similar so I'm not sure what you mean...

EDIT - sorry, I notice you mention the 78 has buttons on top - maybe the 78 and 78s are different...

Last edited:
This this very thread.. a couple pages back...

Thanks but I don't have time or resources to mess with rapidshares, torrents and other convoluted and unnecesarily complicated download methods. Can someone just upload this stuff to my FTP server so we can all share it without sitting in front of the screen waiting for the 299 second delay to expire, ten times? E-mail me for the password.

Buttons on top? Not sure what you mean...

I meant buttons above the screen instead of below it. I prefer to be able to see the screen when I'm pressing the buttons. They are also easier to reach on the bike when they are at the bottom part of the unit.

Torrents.. That's where I also got the 2009 NorthAm maps and 2010 for Europe, including native tongue voices/menus as I gave one to my stepmom and she doesn't speak a word of English (and no, she doesn't live in an English-speaking country).

Can you pleeeeease upload it to the FTP and save me installing the torrent client, searching and downloading for a few days to find out what I downloaded doesn't work or has a virus in it?

Then you only need to worry about Firestart embedding a virus :p

To quote Caligula:

Utinam populus Romanus unam cervicem haberet!

Would that the Roman people had but one neck!

:)

I'll get it up on the FTP.. I might have to take it off the SD card as I only have the 09 maps locally. Shoot me an e-mail if I don't get around to it over the weekend (should be easily doable).

Then you only need to worry about Firestart embedding a virus :p

A vi.. what? As a Linux user, I don't know what that word means :(

Can you pleeeeease upload it to the FTP and save me installing the torrent client, searching and downloading for a few days to find out what I downloaded doesn't work or has a virus in it?

Since you're too lazy to download it, setup an FTP and I'll upload the 2011 maps to it. You can set it up as a public server or PM me the login and password.

Do you still have access to this?
Upload them here so everyone can pick them up:

ftp://s91498905.onlinehome.us
User name: u35633524-guest
E-mail me for the password

Last edited:
I'll get it up on the FTP.. I might have to take it off the SD card as I only have the 09 maps locally. Shoot me an e-mail if I don't get around to it over the weekend (should be easily doable).

Many thanks!

The FTP from message #88 is still active and will remain so in the foreseeable future. However, the password is not public and is subject to change at any time. It's available to anyone via e-mail only.

it's uploading now

These maps that we are speaking of are the garmin street maps for NA? I currently only have Canada in my Oregon for streets as well as Topo and trails. I learned quickly that it was Canada only when I crossed into NY

it's uploading now

Much obliged!

These maps that we are speaking of are the garmin street maps for NA? I currently only have Canada in my Oregon for streets as well as Topo and trails. I learned quickly that it was Canada only when I crossed into NY

Nope. These maps are for iGO and are incompatible with Garmin. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but practically nothing is compatible with Garmin except maps/software produced/distributed by Garmin. I consider them Apple of the GPS industry primarily for that reason.

Much obliged!

Nope. These maps are for iGO and are incompatible with Garmin. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but practically nothing is compatible with Garmin except maps/software produced/distributed by Garmin. I consider them Apple of the GPS industry primarily for that reason.

that is correct

You can find Garmin maps here.

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/307755081/?tab=summary

Hey does anyone know where I can get a different music player for these devices.. Got a better model and it's nice, but the stock music player doesn't do shuffle or playlists.

Back
Top Bottom