Canada's most dangerous places (Maclean's) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada's most dangerous places (Maclean's)

regder

Site Supporter
Yeah, lots of small towns of 10-20k people in the middle of nowhere.

of the top 15
I've lived/worked in the vicinity of about half them
for some reason valuable minerals tend to be in sh!tty places

they all share a common portion of the demographic
that is disproportionate to the lower ranked cities/towns

many underlying factors for this
and it is not anything Canada should be proud of

Work just outside of Terrace, BC....glad it went down in the rankings from previous years! Won't be spending much time outside at night during time off though.

stats can be manipulated to show funny things

qljCaqt.png

Wow, look at Northern Ontario... Timmins, Elliot Lake? Are bar fights and bear attacks counted in this violence?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I wonder how many of those high risk areas are in close proximity to the great white fathers social experiment reserves?
How many others receive large numbers of unskilled and often criminal invaders?

Looks like BS to me, but realistically Canada has very low crime rates overall. Toronto? Well, it really looks like this city fudges its numbers on just about everything. A lot of crime goes unreported.

It’s Maclean’s. They are good at lists, not so good at the nuts and bolts of ordering what goes in the lists.

I wonder how many of those high risk areas are in close proximity to the great white fathers social experiment reserves?
How many others receive large numbers of unskilled and often criminal invaders?

Many of those centers McCleans listed have lack of opportunity, alcohol and drug issues and employment problems. I've traveled through many and you can just see the disparity

Many of those centers McCleans listed have lack of opportunity, alcohol and drug issues and employment problems. I've traveled through many and you can just see the disparity
That's so true. They also have a culture that tolerates violence.

Having frequented many of these places over the years I have my own conclusion. First, most of the crime is bad guy on bad guy and because bad guys tend to concentrate where the 'business' is, the more remote towns draw in transient bad guys in very large numbers, much like high crime neighborhoods do in big cities.

Another issue is domestic violence, sadly this is very high in Aboriginal communities, the really bad places all have bit Aboriginal populations.

Toronto crime is quite low compared to small towns however this isn't a perfect picture of crime. If you take a 15,000 person neighborhood like Kennedy Park, or Black Creek with similar population, high transient population, low economic opportunity you might find similar crime rates.

My daughter lives in Ft Mcmurray, its not on the list but she has schedules of the shift changes from the oil camps. You don't not go out Fri/sat night if he crews are rotating, first they drink, then they fight. The RCMP in northern AB are some of the toughest guys in the business.

Wow, look at Northern Ontario... Timmins, Elliot Lake? Are bar fights and bear attacks counted in this violence?
Was just talking about Elliot Lake yesterday with someone, when passing through it I could just feel the depression.... I dunno how.
Also saw a bear crossing the road in Timmins, definately real up there.

Was just talking about Elliot Lake yesterday with someone, when passing through it I could just feel the depression.... I dunno how.
Also saw a bear crossing the road in Timmins, definately real up there.

you know the story there?

was a thriving town built to house the workers at local uranium mines
25,000 population at one time, all with good paying jobs
dwindling reserves and finally the demise of the Candu reactor killed the place

I went up there with my dad in the mid 90's to look at a retirement place for him
this was shortly after the downturn and you could get a nice little house for 25K

eventually the houses were all bought up by folks with very little expendable income
and because they were on OAS paid almost no tax
this is a recipe for death of a town: population to take care of, no$ coming in to do it

20 years ago it looked like a nice little place to slow down

you know the story there?

was a thriving town built to house the workers at local uranium mines
25,000 population at one time, all with good paying jobs
dwindling reserves and finally the demise of the Candu reactor killed the place

I went up there with my dad in the mid 90's to look at a retirement place for him
this was shortly after the downturn and you could get a nice little house for 25K

eventually the houses were all bought up by folks with very little expendable income
and because they were on OAS paid almost no tax
this is a recipe for death of a town: population to take care of, no$ coming in to do it

20 years ago it looked like a nice little place to slow down

World Uranium price slump. There's a mine north of Kingston not far from Sharbot Lake in the boonies. Low grade ore...was operational for a time causing quite an issue as it was also on native land, then the price dropped and it wasn't worth getting the stuff out the ground.

Edit: pretty sure some of the material for the Manhattan project came from Canada, Bancroft mines.

Back
Top Bottom