Canada Post - Huge losses | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada Post - Huge losses

Parcel compartments in the so-called "super boxes" (known actually as Community Mail Boxes, or more commonly, CMBs) are a constant struggle for posties. So often, keys are not returned by the customers, and it can take months for the supervisor or CPC contractor to replace the lock. The postie hasn't time to chase down customers and keys. In many cases, all the compartments of a bank of CMBs are useless.

It's surely not my job, but I replace the locks myself in a timely fashion.

MM, your parcel may have had a "do not safe drop" notice. In that case, if one follows the rules to the letter, if it won't fit entirely in your mail box, with no part visible, it cannot be left.

Parcel compartments in the so-called "super boxes" (known actually as Community Mail Boxes, or more commonly, CMBs) are a constant struggle for posties. So often, keys are not returned by the customers, and it can take months for the supervisor or CPC contractor to replace the lock. The postie hasn't time to chase down customers and keys. In many cases, all the compartments of a bank of CMBs are useless.

MM, your parcel may have had a "do not safe drop" notice. In that case, if one follows the rules to the letter, if it won't fit entirely in your mail box, with no part visible, it cannot be left.
Our new super boxes (wide slots instead of the old squarish boxes) have parcel keys like a paint stick. Harder for people to accidentally take home.

Our new super boxes (wide slots instead of the old squarish boxes) have parcel keys like a paint stick. Harder for people to accidentally take home.

I think you're referring to your CMB.

Those stupid keys are even worse! The entire thing is rigid; the key is constantly getting broken off and becoming stuck in the lock. Good idea in theory, terrible idea in practice.

I get the carrier can’t cure all problems, I understand following rules for safe delivery and that superboxes could have lock problems. My beefs are 1) leaving a tag then bolting without ringing the bell. 2) not bothering to get undelivered parcels to the local post office by the next day.

Those stupid keys are even worse! The entire thing is rigid; the key is constantly getting broken off and becoming stuck in the lock. Good idea in theory, terrible idea in practice.
I wondered about that. I was surprised there wasn't a hinge or flexible section to avoid stressing the key. Alternatively they could have used a much stronger blank like an old lever lock that you could probably hang off.

My beefs are 1) leaving a tag then bolting without ringing the bell.

Yep, this is nothing more than laziness. I always make a bonafide attempt to deliver, no exceptions.

2) not bothering to get undelivered parcels to the local post office by the next day.

This is infrequent and uncommon. In an urban postal station, carded items are dispatched to the local RPOs twice daily. I think your mail comes from 31 Brodie, an urban set up.

Actually, he’s correct… Parcel lockers are very commonplace in larger apartment buildings.

And you’re also correct - lots of keys get broken now as the person with the key now has a ton more leverage due to the size of the key holder.

I get the carrier can’t cure all problems, I understand following rules for safe delivery and that superboxes could have lock problems. My beefs are 1) leaving a tag then bolting without ringing the bell. 2) not bothering to get undelivered parcels to the local post office by the next day.
For all foot walkers, it’s not our responsibility to get the carded items to the local pick up point. We bring it back to the depot, drop the item in a bin (we have about 8 bins with different postal locations in Guelph) for the office it’s going to. After that, it’s up the the afternoon/evening mobile routes to pick them up and bring them to the office.

If the postal location is overwhelmed (usually around Christmas) I’ve witnessed them still organizing stuff and scanning receipts of parcels early afternoon the next day. Parcel is there, but maybe just not scanned yet.

"Canada Post’s loss from operations in the first quarter was $221 million, expanding by $109 million compared to the $112-million loss from operations it had recorded in the first quarter of 2023"

"Canada Post’s loss from operations in the first quarter was $221 million, expanding by $109 million compared to the $112-million loss from operations it had recorded in the first quarter of 2023"
Eesh.
They keep crying - we hit a high of 5.5B pieces of lettermail in 2006... We only did 2.2B a couple years ago.
Now let's see the junk mail comparison. I bet we delivered at least 15B pieces of it last year, compared to 6B in 2006.
Junk mail is a huge, easy income stream for CP.

They pay us about $0.012 per average sized piece (not big flyers like Canadian tire - those we get $0.021). They charge $0.18 for regular junk delivery. Take away the payment to the posties and to the clerks that have to prepare the junk, They are making a *PROFIT* of at least $0.15 per piece.

So if a postie has 900 points of call on their route (that's an average sized walking route), and an average of 6 flyers (that's a low average - we see 12-13 flyers per day frequently), that's a $810 positive income for CP, from 1 postie, every single 3 days.

Those are real world numbers the public needs to see.

Eesh.
They keep crying - we hit a high of 5.5B pieces of lettermail in 2006... We only did 2.2B a couple years ago.
Now let's see the junk mail comparison. I bet we delivered at least 15B pieces of it last year, compared to 6B in 2006.
Junk mail is a huge, easy income stream for CP.

They pay us about $0.012 per average sized piece (not big flyers like Canadian tire - those we get $0.021). They charge $0.18 for regular junk delivery. Take away the payment to the posties and to the clerks that have to prepare the junk, They are making a *PROFIT* of at least $0.15 per piece.

So if a postie has 900 points of call on their route (that's an average sized walking route), and an average of 6 flyers (that's a low average - we see 12-13 flyers per day frequently), that's a $810 positive income for CP, from 1 postie, every single 3 days.

Those are real world numbers the public needs to see.
300 a day per postie wouldn't pay rent on the depot's never mind utilities and equipment.

Sent from the future

300 a day per postie wouldn't pay rent on the depot's never mind utilities and equipment.

Sent from the future
government probably owns the land anyways.

$800.00 *100 walks? *10 periods/month
not a bad place to start.

Sent from the future
OK, so let’s say we have 12 flyers… for a 900 point of call route.
12 x 900 = 10,800 Flyers in 3 days.
10,800 X 0.18 = $1944 in charges to the customers.
10,800 X 0.012 = $ 129.60 payment to the postie.
$1814.40 to Canada Post. Let’s say we take off $50 for the junk mail processing. That’s an absurdly high number, but let’s go with it.
$1764.40 from a single postie in 3 days, just in junk mail fees.
We have about 35 foot walks. $61754 in 3 days.
Add in the 10 mobile routes, They average 1450ish points of call. $3132 income. $208.80 paid to postie. $50 handling fee.
$2873.20 per postie x 10 = $28732 in 3 days.
Add in the RSMC (Rural and suburban mail carriers - they supply their own vehicles). We have 31 of those. They have to deliver all of their flyers every day. They’re inbetween the foot walk and mobile routes in size. Guesstimate $80K (tired of doing the math) every 3 days.

Sooooo…. $150,000K income after paying the posties (this is just for the Guelph depot) every 3 days on a heavy junk mail cycle (those will last from mid November until end of February), with no large or oversized flyers. I’ve seen up to 18 flyers per day. 8.1 pounds of junk mail for every 10 houses. Ridiculous.

And they claim they’re losing a bazillion dollars.
Maybe stop paying $600K/year plus bonus to the CEO and absurd numbers to the other directors.

Same company different division why the difference I can ship ups way less than CP

Sent from the future
UPS is the only company that had my irreplaceable package "fall off the back of their truck ". It was a custom built computer Christmas present. Won't ever deal with them again if I can help it.

$1814.40 to Canada Post. Let’s say we take off $50 for the junk mail processing. That’s an absurdly high number, but let’s go with it.
Add in the 10 mobile routes, They average 1450ish points of call. $3132 income. $208.80 paid to postie. $50 handling fee.
Add in the RSMC (Rural and suburban mail carriers - they supply their own vehicles). We have 31 of those. They have to deliver all of their flyers every day. They’re inbetween the foot walk and mobile routes in size. Guesstimate $80K (tired of doing the math) every 3 days.

Sooooo…. $150,000K income after paying the posties (this is just for the Guelph depot) every 3 days on a heavy junk mail cycle (those will last from mid November until end of February), with no large or oversized flyers. I’ve seen up to 18 flyers per day. 8.1 pounds of junk mail for every 10 houses. Ridiculous.

Maybe stop paying $600K/year plus bonus to the CEO and absurd numbers to the other directors.
yeah sometimes the NM is a little extra and i have a truck. I feel sorry for the guys on foot.

I think you have to add in the operational costs, letter carriers last mile delivery are a fraction of the cost.

CPC has a huge numbers of people that enable thee flyer business - the cost of flyers covers that too. , Analysts processing route demographics, marketing teams that develop programs and pricing, sales forces selling those services, accounting teams juggling expenses revenue collection, then the physical plant that moves the stuff to letter carriers.

In my opinion, rate increases and failure meet customer expectation for quality of service in parcel delivery is where CPC failed. The had a headlock on this market till around 2015, the fiddled while watching their market share burn.

I have Canada Post deliver to my office everyday, usually customer payments, Uline catalogues, or junk mail.
So was not surprised to see a delivery yesterday, what I was surprised to find was a delivery notice slip in the mail box. What was even a bigger surprise is that the delivery person drives the Canada Post van to each mail box where my business is located.

So before I call this person a lazy slob, are the carriers not supposed to open business doors to drop a package off?

Telling my wife, she had a similar story, the carrier walked into her office to deliver the delivery notice but not the package it referred to, when questioned, they simply said the package was "heavy" and to go pick it up and walked out.

What a lazy *** of a *****.
(In both cases)

I have Canada Post deliver to my office everyday, usually customer payments, Uline catalogues, or junk mail.
So was not surprised to see a delivery yesterday, what I was surprised to find was a delivery notice slip in the mail box. What was even a bigger surprise is that the delivery person drives the Canada Post van to each mail box where my business is located.

So before I call this person a lazy slob, are the carriers not supposed to open business doors to drop a package off?

Telling my wife, she had a similar story, the carrier walked into her office to deliver the delivery notice but not the package it referred to, when questioned, they simply said the package was "heavy" and to go pick it up and walked out.
Pure laziness and the management won't make them bring it. The exact reason I won't use them if it was from Amazon file a missing package claim and they will send another with a reliable carrier.

Sent from the future

Back
Top Bottom