Canada Post - Huge losses | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada Post - Huge losses

Zero chance that CP can compete with the private sector. Salaries, pensions and benefits all cost money.

As a govt entity I’m sure that there are a LOT of inefficiencies and I’m sure that some posties of GTAM can shed some light on the inner workings.

From the outside…only a matter of time before private sector squeezes out the public sector and kills it off.

Zero chance that CP can compete with the private sector. Salaries, pensions and benefits all cost money.

As a govt entity I’m sure that there are a LOT of inefficiencies and I’m sure that some posties of GTAM can shed some light on the inner workings.

From the outside…only a matter of time before private sector squeezes out the public sector and kills it off.
Pretty sure CP employs like 60k+ people. No sitting government is gonna take that political hit.

Pretty sure CP employs like 60k+ people. No sitting government is gonna take that political hit.
Agreed. Zero chance of that happening. Just send more $ to the bank account and kick the can down the road.

Firing people is different than actually finding efficiencies, which I’m sure can be done if the willpower is there.

I've been watching CP try to stay relevant in the package delivery game for years. It can't and never will be able to.
Unfortunately they just don't do a decent job packages sit for days or weeks because I am assuming no one wants to bother delivering them. Things go missing with no accountability and half the time they are not delivered according to the terms of service and no one has any power to do anything about it. Yes sir we did not do our job, haha what you expect us to about it, no suck it that's how we do things.

Sent from the future

Not sure what experiences you all have had with private couriers, but I've found them all to be some shade of sh*te. I've gotten way more ****** off with UPS and FedEx at various points over the years over Canada Post. And UPS has lost multiple packages shipped for business, and taken months to even admit there was an issue...

You know, everyone loves to hate everything government, I know I do.

But to be fair, I've had pretty good luck with CP package delivery. No lost packages, no damaged packages, good service and ontime service.

CP has issues, in particular a flat rate for a lot of things and the brutal expense of "last mile" delivery that no one else wants. If CP folded the private sector would pick and choose the profitable parts of it (and they have already done that to a large extend) and dump the rest.

One thing I don't miss are the near yearly strikes decades ago when J. C. Parrot would lead his posties off the job and hold everyone hostage because we had no alternative.

The trivial first step is ditch five day a week delivery. If you pay the cheap rate, it should be part of a once a week delivery. If you want it there faster, pay a big premium.

Did we expect any less from CP. I don't think they ever earn any money.

I think CP bet to heavy on a partnership with Amazon, which was trivial at best, who knows maybe they will pick up more work long term.
I've said before CP is like a make work project for the Gov, a way to pad staffing/employment numbers, which is why there will never be any efficiencies, because that would mean lower head counts. As it stands there usually isn't enough work for the shifts they have.

Management is the real problem over at CP, too much internal bickering and animosity between them and front line workers. All the people doing the grunt work are generally all decent.

The trivial first step is ditch five day a week delivery. If you pay the cheap rate, it should be part of a once a week delivery. If you want it there faster, pay a big premium.
They can't even deliverer within their own service standards right now. I'll have clients mail stuff out and it will take a week, CP standard is 2-3 days within a metro area like Toronto. Also different priority levels are treated the same.

As a residential customer I get very little snail mail. I'd be happy with delivery twice a week, say Tuesday and Friday. Eliminate 5 days a week delivery for all residential customer and increase the effective workload for carriers / contracted by 2.5 times what they do now.

Have a true cost for stamps. Same price for anywhere in Canada? Unrealistic. I live in Mississauga. If I send a letter to Toronto then it's $1 in round numbers. If I send a letter to Whitehorse, Yukon it's still a buck Does that make any sense?

For business I use CP every day for the past 3 years and have not had a single loss or issue and at least for me friendly professional staff that come for the parcel pickup.
For residential I'd have no issue with once a week delivery, it's 90% junk mail these days.

We don’t hate CP, we will have more customers use wire trans over mailing cheques , I’ll send samples via courier anytime over CP and it’s my shipping choice of last resort . There are better options .
All carrier services have some challenge , CP having the shoulder shrug with problems leads me to go a different direction.

@Evoex , you nailed it with “ no government would take the political hit” , I’m not going to held hostage by anybody if I have options .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

The headshaker about CP is if I get something sent to Burlington from Cambridge, ON and something from Cambridge, UK on the same day I'll put money on seeing the package from the UK arriving first.

Back
Top Bottom