Can you get insurance with M1 only? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can you get insurance with M1 only?

Also, even if the OP was able to take a course today, it wouldn't bring him any closer to his goal of riding right now.

If he passes the course today, he'd still have to wait the 60 days after his initial M1 written test, to be able to bring the M1X papers to the MTO.

Actually Riderplus & NFP gives you M2 rates if the certificate is shown. I got insured on an M1+Course passing certificate, on M2 rates.
Of course, I was still under M1 restrictions till the license was upgraded after 60 days, from the MTO

Actually Riderplus & NFP gives you M2 rates if the certificate is shown. I got insured on an M1+Course passing certificate, on M2 rates.
Of course, I was still under M1 restrictions till the license was upgraded after 60 days, from the MTO
Yes, that's what they told me yesterday and probably that's what I will do.

Yes, that's what they told me yesterday and probably that's what I will do.
(y) then you need to ride at Least 1500k this season or you will be paying more then a buck per kilometre just for the insurance.

I believe it was possible when I got my M1, but I believe everyone here saying not anymore

I believe it was possible when I got my M1, but I believe everyone here saying not anymore
Long ago when I got M1, it was possible to get insurance on anything with M1 but taking the course saved at least 2x course cost in the first year alone on insurance premium.

My recent experience (Fall 2020):

1. No one was willing to insure me with M1 even after the course;
2. No one offered a discount for the course when I was asking for the quotes. They asked if I completed the course, but it hasn't affected the rate.

But my rate was quite low for a first time rider, so maybe there was no room for a discount, idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. No one offered a discount for the course when I was asking for the quotes. They asked if I completed the course, but it hasn't affected the rate.

But my rate was quite low for a first time rider, so maybe there was no room for a discount, idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Did they ask for a copy of the certificate?

To the OP, I would suggest you go ahead and do the course. I was in the same boat as you; I have quite a fair bit of riding experience, but the course allowed me to get insurance in the first place, with the certificate, but more importantly - It toned down my ego and over-confidence, and in fact allowed me to un-learn cetain bad habits that I had embibed whilst riding, over the last decade and half.

So well worth the $500 ?

Didn't you say you bought a F900R as a first bike :unsure:
People, seriously! What Bike? It Does make a difference.

I asked for the quotes on several bikes before deciding on F900R. In my case there was no difference if I had a certificate or not. But again, in my case I believe the quotes were super low compared to the numbers I’ve heard from the others. Like CB300R was $83/month or something.

I asked for the quotes on several bikes before deciding on F900R. In my case there was no difference if I had a certificate or not. But again, in my case I believe the quotes were super low compared to the numbers I’ve heard from the others. Like CB300R was $83/month or something.
That’s pretty normal for that bike, all thing’s considered.

They’re booking for mid April currently. You likely won’t have much enjoyable riding before then anyways.

Easier said than done. Mine is schedualed for Mid April and I just emailed them and asked them to let me know if any sooner dates pop up. It's so strange that most of my life I could care less about it and now I just really wana learn it and be on a bike.

younger people said that they can only dream of rates like that ;)
That's because those people are only 15 years old
or they have an established negative credit rating.

OP, what happened to your motorcycle licence from the USA? Pretty sure you should have been able to transfer that over when you got your Ontario licence.

If you can get a "letter of experience" from a past insurer it may help a little, but don't count on it....as others have mentioned, motorcycle insurance here in Ontario is pretty brutal with a variety of reasons to thank for it.

I agree with others though, just take the course. You will learn things and you will also learn that you probably have some bad habits you will break at the same time.

You should have a full m if you had a US motorcycle licence. My wife got her motorcycle licence in Hawaii and it transferred back as a full m when she moved back to Canada.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

You should have a full m if you had a US motorcycle licence. My wife got her motorcycle licence in Hawaii and it transferred back as a full m when she moved back to Canada.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk
I didn't have a US license.

Back
Top Bottom