can a bike with ABS still stoppie? (not stunt question) | GTAMotorcycle.com

can a bike with ABS still stoppie? (not stunt question)

ducati rider

sometimes u hear a guy brake hard but instead of tucking the front the bike endos thus going down. at first i thought ABS would prevent this but then i see these stoppie videos and the front wheel never locks, so ABS would never kick in.

so yeah... wut do u think?

ABS will kick in it doesn't sense the front tire stopping it senses the front tire turning slower than the rear.

It depends on how the system is programmed, and this could vary from one installation to the next. Some of them may be programmed to detect if the rear wheel lifts off the ground, and back off the front brake application if this happens. No stoppies on those, but no face-plants on the ground if a cager does something dumb in front of you, either. I do not know whether the current ABS systems deal with this situation.

Damn, I was hoping you'd tell us because I don't know either. Interesting Q though.

No it will not (Info based off CBR1000RR ABS model), although you will not be able to do a "stoppie" from a stunting perspective, the rear wheel might lift right before the bike comes to a complete rest (Kinetic momentum)

Hope this helps.

PS: Keep in mind that bikes like the S1000RR and the new ZX10R have far more sophisticated ABS, cbr1000rr was used as a base abs bike, therefore the others shouldn't do a stoppie as well... (Unless you switch into track/racing/slick mode)

No it will not (Info based off CBR1000RR ABS model), although you will not be able to do a "stoppie" from a stunting perspective, the rear wheel might lift right before the bike comes to a complete rest (Kinetic momentum)

Hope this helps.

PS: Keep in mind that bikes like the S1000RR and the new ZX10R have far more sophisticated ABS, cbr1000rr was used as a base abs bike, therefore the others shouldn't do a stoppie as well... (Unless you switch into track/racing/slick mode)

Do you know how it works to prevent a stoppie? Longitudinal yaw sensors?

Hope this helps.

the CBR1000 ABS will most DEFINITELY allow you to do a stoppie in OEM configuration.

There is no Gyroscope system employed in the OEM ECU.

with the addition of the HRC race kit ECU, the system has a gyroscope sensor for anti-wheelie/launch control functionality, but it will not prevent a stoppie either.

with the addition of the HRC race kit ECU, the system has a gyroscope sensor for anti-wheelie/launch control functionality, but it will not prevent a stoppie either.

How is this anti-wheelie circumvented "on the fly." I regularly see moto2 and moto gp riders wheelie down the straights on command during practice. Are these functionalities turned on and off by the rider?

ABS will kick in it doesn't sense the front tire stopping it senses the front tire turning slower than the rear.

Alot of people mash both brakes while emergencey braking, in that case the rear wheel would stop competely as it lift off the ground but the front would still be spinning

How is this anti-wheelie circumvented "on the fly." I regularly see moto2 and moto gp riders wheelie down the straights on command during practice. Are these functionalities turned on and off by the rider?

they have about 1000000 different rider input controls on the left bar that will turn these features on/off, and allow addition/subtraction of tracton control, anti-spin(different from TC) anti wheelie and other features.

Here's a good photo showing some of the controls on the Ten Kate CBR1000

They use the Pi PECTEL engine management system but others are similar in function

the adjuster knob at top is for the front brake.

The red/green buttons on the outside are for +/- TC function, the others will be configurable based on rider needs/wants, one being launch control/pit lane speed limiter,

Ten-Kate-Honda-2009-World-Superbike-6.jpg

Last edited:
I've never been able to stoppie the wing with it's abs.:p

I actually asked a dealer about this a few weeks ago. They said you can still do a stoppie because the front wheel is not locking up. Appearently the ABS is supposed to stop the front wheel from locking up by coming on and off the brakes and since you are not locking the brakes to bring the back tire up, this stunt should still work.........according to the dealer.

First thing I do when I buy a car/truck: pull ABS fuse.
Will never buy an ABS bike.

why? because you can outbreak the electronics??

This is a foolish thing to do

ABS is for the people who panic during "emergency braking situations". I'm not saying I am the best driver in the world, but I never panic behind the wheel and I have been in my fair share of situations where I had to stop quickly to avoid hitting a shmuck in front of me.

To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom