can a bike with ABS still stoppie? (not stunt question) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

can a bike with ABS still stoppie? (not stunt question)

ABS is for the people who panic during "emergency braking situations". I'm not saying I am the best driver in the world, but I never panic behind the wheel and I have been in my fair share of situations where I had to stop quickly to avoid hitting a shmuck in front of me.

To each their own.

if you never reach a level where ABS kicks in, why do you need to pull the fuse then?

OH RITE LOL, because you do

When doing research on adding the ABS parts from a Euro 650R to my N/A spec 650R it seems the braking system will perform as usual if the ABS malfunctions (or shuts down). So, in theory I would think you could just mod it so there is a switch in line with your ABS system and cut the power. Although not sure how it would react when you turn it back on and the bike is running... could cause ABS not to work again or malfunction I guess. I'm pretty sure that system does not have a way to over ride it if desired in it's stock set up.

if you never reach a level where ABS kicks in, why do you need to pull the fuse then?

OH RITE LOL, because you do

Everything on a vehicle can fail.
One of my vehicles had a problem with the ABS unit and just driving around in town at 60-70 and coming up to a red light, plenty of distance in front and back of me, the ABS kicked in as soon as my shoe touched the pedal, and was tighter on one side, forcing the vehicle to swerve left. Just to be clear, there was no stopping force applied to the rotors so my speed was not reducing.

Here's the kicker. I had my gf and son in the car at the time.
Had i panicked and "held down the brake" as an ABS unit should allow you to do (pumping the brake didn't work in this situation, the ABS was always kicking it), I would of smacked into either a car in front of us that was at the red light, or the guard rail/median on the side.
Instead I reacted the way I was taught on how to handle a vehicle with no brakes and managed to stop safely.

Once I made sure we were all ok and let the traffic clear, I let the truck idle in 1st and then applied the brakes to see if it was just a freak issue. Nope, happened again.
Opened the hood and pulled the power going to the ABS unit.
Brakes worked perfectly fine since then.

Last edited:
ABS is for the people who panic during "emergency braking situations". I'm not saying I am the best driver in the world, but I never panic behind the wheel and I have been in my fair share of situations where I had to stop quickly to avoid hitting a shmuck in front of me.

To each their own.
This really is a good nomination for post of the year.There are so many variables that were NOT mentioned in the original question.Factors like,bike (900lb tourer or 350lb racebike) weather (rain,ice) road conditions (painted lines,sand,gravel,spills etc) and don't forget rider fatigue.

POTY, sweet!

Just don't forget the variable that anything electronic and/or mechanical can fail as well. And then when you expect your car/bike to not lock up in the rain, and it does...now you're caught off-guard and have to react even quicker.

I can only speak for the S1000RR. ABS and DTC will prevent stoppies to varying degrees depending on mode selected - i.e. Rain mode has highest intervention of DTC, Slick mode has least. The DTC senses differences in rotation of the front and rear wheels and compensates accordingly.

It can be turned off, anytime and on the fly by pushing one button on the left switchgear so if you wanna wheelie or stoppie all it takes is to push the button (and the skill and desire to do so).

Everything on a vehicle can fail.
One of my vehicles had a problem with the ABS unit and just driving around in town at 60-70 and coming up to a red light, plenty of distance in front and back of me, the ABS kicked in as soon as my shoe touched the pedal, and was tighter on one side, forcing the vehicle to swerve left. Just to be clear, there was no stopping force applied to the rotors so my speed was not reducing.

Here's the kicker. I had my gf and son in the car at the time.
Had i panicked and "held down the brake" as an ABS unit should allow you to do (pumping the brake didn't work in this situation, the ABS was always kicking it), I would of smacked into either a car in front of us that was at the red light, or the guard rail/median on the side.
Instead I reacted the way I was taught on how to handle a vehicle with no brakes and managed to stop safely.

Once I made sure we were all ok and let the traffic clear, I let the truck idle in 1st and then applied the brakes to see if it was just a freak issue. Nope, happened again.
Opened the hood and pulled the power going to the ABS unit.
Brakes worked perfectly fine since then.

One time my brakes failed. As soon as I got home I removed all the brakes from my car.

One time my brakes failed. As soon as I got home I removed all the brakes from my car.

Your feet must be burning everytime you stop à la Fred Flintstone.

One time my collarbone failed. As soon as i got home i removed both collarbones from my body.

It's funny because you and kellen are kind of saying the opposite of my story.

My brakes were not working, I removed my abs, then my brakes worked fine.
I'm sure that if you removed your clavicle (aka: collar bone), you'd have a hard time riding a motorcycle again.

Disabling the ABS unit may simply be masking another problem with the braking system. Did you get them checked out and verify the problem?

POTY, sweet!

Just don't forget the variable that anything electronic and/or mechanical can fail as well. And then when you expect your car/bike to not lock up in the rain, and it does...now you're caught off-guard and have to react even quicker.

If anything mechanical can fail, why use anything mechanized in the first place? my cell phone dropped a call the other day - that probably means network testing has really taken a down turn and wireless technology is as unrealiable as ever. What would happen if an emergency occurred where i needed to notify someone via mobile phone? should i dare trust that unreliable mobile communication network? What if it failed while placing that important call? Maybe my monthly phone bill budget money would be better invested feeding and training the old faithful and certainly more reliable carrier pigeon.

I totally get your concern about "random" cpu failures associated with ABS braking systems...

probably better to stick with carrier pigeons seeing as you know where you stand with the hard reliability data...the stats don't lie: 60% of the time they work.....everytime.

Back
Top Bottom