Camry SE Gas and XSE Hybrid Comparison ^_^ | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Camry SE Gas and XSE Hybrid Comparison ^_^

• Thread starter Deleted member 50930
  • Start date
Problems?

In all seriousness, I find much of Toyota and Honda pricing is out to lunch. They have a holier than thou, take it or leave it attitude and it is often not justified by the products they have to sell. Sometimes it is, othertimes you are wondering wtf they were thinking.
out to lunch?

check out GM Canada website. $38g (as shown) for a pedestrian Malibu

out to lunch?

Like politics, often you are left looking for the least-worst option.

Fwiw, I wasn't commenting on georges Cmary experience as I have no opinion of the current ones. Previous looks at Civic/Rav4 formed my opinion. At the time I looked, they were actually worse vehicles than the Hyundai equivalent and ~10K more. That's pretty sad. THeir ***** are so firmly entrenched in the seat that they sell that crap and pretend they are the best.

I drive a Toyota Camry hybrid, it's the only car I have driven which gets the rated gas consumption. All other cars are usually much higher. As example I did a run to PA and my consumption was 3.9 l/100. 🤷‍♂️
As for pricing, it probably is higher because of import tariffs and supporting local car makes etc... but honestly I spend no time whatsoever at the dealer or a mechanic dealing with service issues. That alone was worth it.

In all seriousness, I find much of Toyota and Honda pricing is out to lunch. They have a holier than thou, take it or leave it attitude and it is often not justified by the products they have to sell.
Hmm..my Acura (Honda) SUV is great and compared to comparable SUVs I thought the pricing was in line. However when its time to replace, I will probably go domestic. But I sure will miss that smooth ride.

out to lunch?

I always laugh when people get mad when anything is priced a certain way. How is it working out for Toyota and Honda? THey sell every car they make....should they lower their prices and INCREASE the time it takes you to get the car you want? We've been sold out of half our product line for years. People walk in all the time and say but I can get a "Hyundai for 0 percent over 84 months". And I say "but you have to buy a Hyundai". If i had a dollar for every person trying to trade in a 2 year old Elantra for a Camry....I could buy a tenth of a bitcoin.

I always laugh when people get mad when anything is priced a certain way. How is it working out for Toyota and Honda? THey sell every car they make....should they lower their prices and INCREASE the time it takes you to get the car you want? We've been sold out of half our product line for years. People walk in all the time and say but I can get a "Hyundai for 0 percent over 84 months". And I say "but you have to buy a Hyundai". If i had a dollar for every person trying to trade in a 2 year old Elantra for a Camry....I could buy a tenth of a bitcoin.
I don't get mad at the dealers for the price. If I feel the price is out of line with the car, I walk out and let them sell it to someone else. I do highly dislike the holier than though attitude of sales people that often work for Toyota/Honda. Sometimes they make stinkers and still pretend they are roses and better than all of the competition.

Last edited:
I don't get mad at the dealers for the price. If I feel the price is out of line with the car, I walk out and let them sell it to someone else. I do highly dislike the holier than though attitude of sales people that often work for Toyota/Honda. Sometimes they make stinkers and still pretend they are roses and better than all of the competition.
i would say for the most part the MSRP of the Toyota line at least is right in line with the competition. Where Toyota gets beaten are the discounts or financing offered. But sometimes people are surprised at the effect that has. I had a guy lose his mind on our trade appraisal of his Maxima.....i had to explain that there was a brand new one sitting at KW nissan with a huge $8000 off sticker along its side....so no his one year old one wasn't worth what he thought it was....
Our Safety systems are pretty much standard across all the lines and pay grades so you don't have to pay extra for it (unlike most of our competitors). But of course there are lots of times when we are beaten by better product but Toyota doesn't make bad products. I don't know of any stinkers. Cars that aren't good looking? sure. Cars that aren't class leading? sure...but in the last 15 years I can't think of a "stinker" or else you would see them sitting on the lots collecting dust with zero percent on them. And the salesperson would be all over you to sell it because his boss would probably blow him (or at least have some kind of spiff on it) if he did sell it.

huh? Are you saying it's out of wheel alignment?
Probably the big jerk to the steering if it gets near the edge of the lane. I have played with a mazda with lane tracking and its horrendous. On one hand, it's good because it saves you from the initial crash but if you dont intervene there will quickly be a crash. Much better than Tesla pretending that the car can drive for you and then killing people. It lulls you into a false sense of security.

Honda dealership scared me because ‘windshield MUST be Honda OEM or otherwise your lane assist won’t work and it’s $300 for the calibration’

Glass shop: ‘this glass is fine, check it out if the sensor doesn’t work we will calibrate it’

Honda windshield + calibration: 2300$ + hst
Aftermarket: $500 + hst

Volt cost me $350 and the Odyssey was $500. Both done within 3 hours in a day.

Honda dealership scared me because ‘windshield MUST be Honda OEM or otherwise your lane assist won’t work and it’s $300 for the calibration’

Glass shop: ‘this glass is fine, check it out if the sensor doesn’t work we will calibrate it’

Honda windshield + calibration: 2300$ + hst
Aftermarket: $500 + hst

Volt cost me $350 and the Odyssey was $500. Both done within 3 hours in a day.

Funny thing is. Most dealerships farm out this type of work anyway to the very aftermarket shop you probably used.

Funny thing is. Most dealerships farm out this type of work anyway to the very aftermarket shop you probably used.
Yup. The glass shop is 300m from the dealership. They said they do the work for all the dealers except Chevy as they’ve got their own on site.

huh? Are you saying it's out of wheel alignment?

No lane centering assist.

I like the steering assistance and keep that on.

If you try it in these newer Toyotas and go try a Hyundai, night and day difference.

I noticed this in both the SE and XSE. Car sees yellow line goes right, oh another yellow line goes left. Too much side to side movement.

Another neat but scary feature, which the XSE has is that You can leave auto cruise running in rush hour stop and go so it will self drive. BUT BUT it is pretty dumb in that it doesn't "understand" traffic? For example, set it to 80 km/h in stop and go traffic and the car will try to get to that speed then emergency brake with the red brake alart alarm screaming because traffic is flowing more like 30 km/h. 🤷‍♀️

So if you are in rush hour, turn it on and set it.to 50 km/h. Set distance to max

Once traffic picks up you increase it back up to 120 kn/h. Set distance to min

But if it goes back to rush hour you have to do this all over again. This SE trim won't let me turn it on until after 30 km/h 😭

With the above enabled. If you don't turn on curve speed reduction then the stupid car tries taking corners at 120 km/h 😆.

XSE is like a big computer compared to this SE

Edit.. All this stuff is called Toyota Safety Sense 2.5

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom