Camry SE Gas and XSE Hybrid Comparison ^_^ | GTAMotorcycle.com

Camry SE Gas and XSE Hybrid Comparison ^_^

• Thread starter Deleted member 50930
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50930

I got me a Camry SE gasoline as a long term rental until mine gets fixed.

I'm scratching my head

SE MSRP - ~$35k
XSE Hybrid MSRP ~$44k

If you drive a lot. It may be worth it.

Owise that 9k diff buys a lot of gas.

I don't understand the confusion. Hybrid costs more. You really need to drive a lot in the city to try to recover the capital.

This will be a good comparison to see your fuel costs with the cheaper car.

For most people, it is very hard to beat something like a base corolla for minimizing dollars/km.

If you drive a lot. It may be worth it.

Owise that 9k diff buys a lot of gas.

Nope. I'm scratching my head because I'm wondering who really would spend this much for the SE because there's so many better options out there ......

Cons ..
- Infotainment system feels outdated
- Interior is junk
- Compared to the Hybrid, I lost about 100 - 150 km per tank of gas :(
80% of the time I am on the highway doing 120 - 140 km/h

Pros ..
- The steering wheel paddle shifters actually do work unlike in the Hybrid
- EPS steering feels a bit heavier
- Brake pedal feel is a bit better due to lack of regen braking

My GLI was around the SE price point and look at what it had ...

So you're saying the extra $9000 got you a better car?

I think this just further enforces my view that Toyota and Honda car pricing is out of wack and they rely heavily on their reputation....

A more fair comparison would be the XSE vs XSE Hybrid but then the XSE actually has more features like the panoramic sunroof, dual exhaust tips etc 0_0

Some people are more concerned with the price, rather than paying for options/features/benefits they don't care about in any way shape or form.

$9k is a big difference in cost. Will take a long time to pay that difference off.

Just based on the difference in price and 8.2 claimed litres/100km combined mileage for the SE.... fuel at $1.45 per litre (to be safe). If someone drove 20,000 km per year the 9K will pay for 3.8 years of fuel alone. BUT the hybrid also uses fuel (around 5.2l/100km), so the delta is ~3l/100km---it will take 10.3 years ignoring TVM to break even, worse with TVM.... Hopefully no one is buying the hybrid for fuel cost savings....

But that is SE vs XSE trim levels so the full 9K may not be correct....

Last edited:
Yup it's a different trim tier... XSE Hybrid, XSE 4 cylinder and XSE 6 cylinder

I'm just surprised at how sh8t the SE is compared to the XSE... I can only imagine how bad the LE is :|

Just based on the difference in price and 8.2 claimed litres/100km combined mileage for the SE.... fuel at $1.45 per litre (to be safe). If someone drove 20,000 km per year the 9K will pay for 3.8 years of fuel alone. BUT the hybrid also uses fuel (around 5.2l/100km), so the delta is ~3l/100km---it will take 10.3 years ignoring TVM to break even, worse with TVM.... Hopefully no one is buying the hybrid for fuel cost savings....

But that is SE vs XSE trim levels so the full 9K may not be correct....
Damn it I should’ve kept the WRX! LoL Fillups were $90/week. The Volt is $50 every 2500km or so.

I love the mileage of the Volt. But compared to a Civic, Corolla , or Elantra I know I paid more. But I’m happy with the car so far.

Damn it I should’ve kept the WRX! LoL Fillups were $90/week. The Volt is $50 every 2500km or so.

I love the mileage of the Volt. But compared to a Civic, Corolla , or Elantra I know I paid more. But I’m happy with the car so far.
You also have some right foot excitement compared to that flock of boredom. If you look at vehicles that are similar to drive, your premium will be less and payoff shorter.

I want a house with a EV charging station so bad :(

I want a house with a EV charging station so bad :(
Which reminds me. I’ve got my old VOLTEC charger I need to install.

I don’t want this thread to turn to housing we’ve already gone off track.

Sorry OP.

Just a quick look at XSE vs XSE hybrid current price difference (2K). Roughly 46,000km is the crossover point @ $1.45l, more with TVM, etc. 49,xxxkm at $1.35l
Assuming that hybrid doesn't have much higher maintenance requirements (cough, has toyota stopped sucking cabin air into the battery yet?) that is a much more reasonable payback period. It may be a little simplistic as hybrid in the city is probably much better than straight ice (much further apart than EPA would indicate due to the crap methodology) and much worse on the highway where the hybrid barely matters.

Assuming that hybrid doesn't have much higher maintenance requirements (cough, has toyota stopped sucking cabin air into the battery yet?) that is a much more reasonable payback period. It may be a little simplistic as hybrid in the city is probably much better than straight ice (much further apart than EPA would indicate due to the crap methodology) and much worse on the highway where the hybrid barely matters.
Yes very simplistic just the mixed driving ratings, delta in MSRP, fixed fuel price....

Maintenance, actual sale/street price (one may be cheaper yet), the add on taxes will increase the possible delta (HST....), current financing offers (XSE is lower than XSE Hybrid today), insurance cost differences, even resale.... etc.... but it will be ball park, maybe +/- 10% ignoring resale.

The hybrid still sucks air into the cabin (rear seat) so you have to clean it and there's the active shutter system by the front bumper 0_0.

Just a quick look at XSE vs XSE hybrid current price difference (2K). Roughly 46,000km is the crossover point @ $1.45l, more with TVM, etc. 49,xxxkm at $1.35l

I don't think I screwed up then ^_^

I drive a lot..

Is this XSE the 4 or 6 cylinder?

Wait….what’s wrong with your brand new car that you need a long term rental?

Back
Top Bottom