Camper question? To hybrid or not | GTAMotorcycle.com

Camper question? To hybrid or not

Kawyman

Anyone ever own a hybrid trailer ? 18-24' or so, do you like the hybrid ? If no, why. If you owned one and sold it would you buy one again, or stay away from them and buy a regular one.. Just looking for some info and thoughts, thanks.

Last edited:
No, I wouldn't buy it again! If you camp a lot in the early Spring or late Fall, you will find the bunks really cold at night! And the time required to set it up...

They seem like a great compromise to me. Less setting up than a pop-up trailer and more space and less weight than a comparable solid trailer. I had a customer years ago who camped regularly with her family. They were using popups and it was a headache because she would partially popup the trailer to load the fridge etc. They ended up getting as hybrid and now she could pack the fridge, clothes etc. Get there and pop out the bunks, level it and they were good to go.

It is next on the hitlist for my wife and I. We have been shopping these at the RV shows for a year or so now.

Im curious how they would work running AC on hot days and the furnace on cold ones.. I would assume they would suck, cause the canvas wouldnt be great for insulation.. I've had a tent trailer in the past, it sucked!! I bet the hybrid would have the same kinda issues as a tent trailer, cold, moisture/condensation in the mornings. ?

id love a toy hauler, but I'd like the one with a seperate garage in the back.. Not a fan of the ones where you have to fold up the benches to transport the toy.. What do you do if your on a long trip, wanna sleep and there's 2 bikes in the back ?

Very loud inside when you run AC. You can run furnace all you want, bunks will stay cold...
If you cover the top of the bunk with tarp, you won't have any condensation problems!

The hybrid suffers the same problems that face a tent trailer once the weather turns cold.
If you don'y plan any May or October camping, it will be fine though.

We have a 10' tent trailer, and the furnace works fine to warm the bunks up. It's a little noisy, but when you're cold, who cares?

If I were looking at hybrids, I'd try to find something where only one end pops out to speed up set up and tear-down. We've been caught in flooding conditions, and knocking the tent trailer down in teeming rain with rising water in the area was a wild experience.

Also be sure that you have enough vehicle to haul it! My brother in law bought a 19' trailer that weight 3100 pounds dry, and he thought they'd be able to pull it with an V6 Ford Escape!

Buy a regular enclosed trailer and save headache, the hybrid's have the same issues as the pop ups. I have a 20 regular enclosed and it is fantastic, do make sure you have a decent tow vehicle. I have towed min with a 5 cyl canyon and a V8 Canyon both did the job. (dry weight is 4200lbs on my trailer.)

I think my full size F150 with the 5.4L will handle towing a camper, it'll pull somewhere around 8200lbs, lol...

We had a 24 foot Hybrid for about 6 years. We absolutely loved it but as usual there are Pros/cons"

Pros:

1. Lighter than a full Travel Trailer
2. Would need a TT at least 30 feet long to have similar square footage
3. Lots of Bed space
4. Could squeeze it into spaces a bit easier due to shorter length and then extend the beds often over obstacles

Cons:

1. Colder in spring/fall (um just use more blankets or snuggle with loved one....)
2. Setup time was a "bit" longer
3. Not as quite if there is noise around the campsite compared to full TT
4. Clearly in bear country HTT is not as safe/secure as full TT

Happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom