Business/Life Coach? Anyone use them? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Business/Life Coach? Anyone use them?

Pistachio Nuts

Wondering if anyone's used a business/life coach.

I'm a business owner myself, and there are issues I need to get off my chest. The issues are just building, building, and building up. But, as a business owner, there doesn't seem to be anyone I can turn to, and I would never consult with friends about this (I don't want to weigh them down with my problems...plus, they likely wouldn't understand). There's also issues of confidentiality.

Can anyone recommend a business/life coach? If you sought one ought, how was it? Please share your experiences.

Thanks, dudes!

It's a pyramid scheme.

The jist of a life coach is to "find your niche and help others achieve the same success". It's basically a recruitment strategy that pushes you to offer "coaching" services to others. Along the way, there are accreditation programs, seminars and conferences. All of that costs money and they only thing they teach you is how to set up your own accreditation program, seminars and conferences so you can make money.

The industry mainly sells to itself and the social media posts are all about projecting an image of "I'm successful and I've got it together" so they can recruit new members to bring fresh money into the pyramid scheme.

Avoid.

I'd have a problem trusting a "life / business coach", what do they know about your business? what do they know about your industry? what makes them qualified to "coach" anyone? always thought of it as a scam

I'd have a problem trusting a "life / business coach", what do they know about your business? what do they know about your industry? what makes them qualified to "coach" anyone? always thought of it as a scam

Yeah, good points. I just need to vent. Not really looking for business advice. The business side is ok. It's the people side...

I'd be more inclined to try to find a mentor and failing that a person in a similar situation (eg. business owner) to chat with. If you aren't annoying and are willing to listen and take advice to heart, it is amazing the gold that some people will give you for free. They will have been through (or be going through) many of the same problems.

Now how to find this person? Either a formal organization like chamber of commerce, or random networking events (financial advisors love to throw these to try to recruit your money). Hell, there seem to be some incredibly level headed and successful people in GTAM that may be willing to be that person for you.

Last edited:
I'd be more inclined to try to find a mentor and failing that a person in a similar situation (eg. business owner) to chat with. If you aren't annoying and are willing to listen and take advice to heart, it is amazing the gold that some people will give you for free. They will have been through (or be going through) many of the same problems.

Now how to find this person? Either a formal organization like chamber of commerce, or random networking events (financial advisors love to throw these to try to recruit your money). Hell, there seem to be some incredibly level headed and successful people in GTAM that may be willing to be that person for you.
There are some really good industry specific meetups that you can attend, where a lot of folks get together to do just this. Talk strategy, pain points, etc. Fairly regularly (quarterly and monthly) all over the GTA. They're free. The best to attend are the invite only ones that cater to specific job roles/titles. So it weeds out some of the fluff for you. YMMV.

There's nothing wrong with visiting a shrink. We're all nuts at times. Not to say that you are.

Are you the sole owner, or is this a partnership situation? Family involved?

If multiple owners, is the business coach/life coach for just you or the entire ownership team?

Have you contacted Gordon Ramsey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The life coaches in my opinion are for people the should see phsyciatric help but want to be cooler about it. And you need no credentials to be a life coach so....

It will be hard to believe from my posting on this forum, I have done mentoring for business people , and continue to do so. While industry specific helps , you either have a grasp of business concepts and best practices or not. And not all business executives are super clever, some are just lucky and thats ok to, but you have to be able to tell the difference.

Trade associations, our Chamber of commerce has a once a month wine afternoon social , you can possibly meet a like minded person there. And there are always consultants, (they want paid) , do not IMO attend a business workshop hosted by any financial advisor. Banks on the other hand have meet and greet and yiou can often meet a kindred spirit there.

And there is always counselling available through your family doctor. If your feeling like your going to blow a gasket, talk to somebody, if you walk into emerg they will find you somebody to talk to.

there can be a lot of value in discussions with someone you don't know

friend of mine used to do the Life Coach thing....was very good at it
after a career in the military and before he became a fleet manager with an airline
he spent some time helping strangers get their shyt worked out
also is a Ducati guy, anyone here in the DOCC would know him
would be good to speak to

Haven’t used a life coach but, use counselling services that is referred through my work benefits.

I like running things by someone that isn’t emotional invested in my life.

Some are better than others at it.

Don’t have anyone in the GTA or I’d make a recommendation.

My current councillor is in Ridgeway and very pragmatic and thoughtful. I know there is some professional/education /degree methodology being used to the advise they are giving but, it’s delivered in a very casual way.

Helps with career, kids, relationships etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't met one life coach that should actually be giving out advice.
My personal favorite was the part time life coach, part time nutritionist, part time high-price hooker.

I haven't met one life coach that should actually be giving out advice.
My personal favorite was the part time life coach, part time nutritionist, part time high-price hooker.

A guy that is going to encourage me to live well, eat well and ****s like a God?

Giza Saqqara sign me up!!!!

Business owner here. If you ever want to talk over beers letme know. I get a lot of help from other business owners. Used a coach long time ago. If they are in the same boat they can help otherwise just give you general advise.

I know nothing about life coaching, could probably use one. What I do see and have found in regular working life, usually when people are having trouble with "people" its because they are too close in what should be a business relationship. If you have employees with baggage and personal problems, it would do you both good to stay on your respective side of the desk.
Nothing wrong with being empathetic , even a bit sympathetic, but once they have you listening to the tale of woe and buying in, it will affect your ability to do your job clearly.
Help them find a councillor.

I know nothing about life coaching, could probably use one. What I do see and have found in regular working life, usually when people are having trouble with "people" its because they are too close in what should be a business relationship. If you have employees with baggage and personal problems, it would do you both good to stay on your respective side of the desk.
Nothing wrong with being empathetic , even a bit sympathetic, but once they have you listening to the tale of woe and buying in, it will affect your ability to do your job clearly.
Help them find a councillor.

Very true and well stated.

Back
Top Bottom