Bring on higher internet prices... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bring on higher internet prices...

........................... imposing UBB on all of their TPIA clients to protect their BDU revenue stream? .....................
????

UBB - Usage Based Billing
TPIA - Third Party Internet Access
BDU - Broadcast Distribution Undertaking (i.e. cable)

Anyone have Starlink and can comment on performance? Xplornet has been mostly horrible for us and in the evenings has gotten so slow we can't even watch streamed shows (Netflix/Prime/etc).

Anyone have Starlink and can comment on performance? Xplornet has been mostly horrible for us and in the evenings has gotten so slow we can't even watch streamed shows (Netflix/Prime/etc).
My parents aren't far from you. They have no viable hard wire connections. They have tried most wireless solutions. Starlink has been the best by a mile in terms of speed and stability.

We have starlink day and night better than xplornet which was almost useless.

Sent from the future

Coworker had it. Paid the money for the set up. Was terrible. He disconnected 2 months into it and went back to another rural service.

Coworker had it. Paid the money for the set up. Was terrible. He disconnected 2 months into it and went back to another rural service.
Strange so far we have had no downtime speeds between 20 and 120 Mbps down and 5-12 up. We had xplornet which was worse than dial up. Bell rural which was ok until they oversold the tower then became terrible. And now starlink for the last 5 months no issues at all. I haven't even mounted the dish yet just sitting on the deck.

Sent from the future

I've been with TeckSavy since god knows how long. There are better deal with Robellus if you ask for it. It's about time I get rid of TeckSavy at my parents house, that's how long ago I started with those chumps.
@mimico, dm me and I'll tell you how to get the plan for much cheaper cacuse $80/30mbps is so 2008 at best b.

We got fed up with Bell DSL and are moving to Starlink at one of our shops. I'll tell you in 2 weeks!

I've been with TeckSavy since god knows how long. There are better deal with Robellus if you ask for it. It's about time I get rid of TeckSavy at my parents house, that's how long ago I started with those chumps.
@mimico, dm me and I'll tell you how to get the plan for much cheaper cacuse $80/30mbps is so 2008 at best b.
I’m getting 100MBPS for $36 from Teksavvy on my deal for 12 months.

They’re coming to install tomorrow.

We pay 45 mo for Rogers at work 500/50

Sent from the future
Where you are matters. Until they put in Fibre, the best I could get was 30/10. My parents peak was 0.02 on dial up and slightly better on various iterations after (xplornet, cell data, etc). Dsl was a non-starter due to noise in the line. No cable Not enough speed for video until starlink regardless of price.

Where you are matters. Until they put in Fibre, the best I could get was 30/10. My parents peak was 0.02 on dial up and slightly better on various iterations after (xplornet, cell data, etc). Dsl was a non-starter due to noise in the line. No cable Not enough speed for video until starlink regardless of price.
We are similar here no options but xplornet until 2 years ago when bell started selling rural internet with a promise to never oversubscribe like xplornet. Then they did shortly after, now that we have starlink and it works well Rogers dropped a note in the mailbox that they will be installing fiber this summer.

Sent from the future

We have starlink day and night better than xplornet which was almost useless.

Sent from the future
How much is Starlink?

I just got my confirmation for TEKSAVVY installation…from Rogers.

‘Rogers Service Message: This is a reminder that your Internet installation is scheduled for 06/28/2023, between 10:00AM-12:00PM. Please have an adult present at the service address should the technician need inside access.

If you need to reschedule, please contact your Internet Service Provider before the scheduled installation time and request a different date/time.’

How much is Starlink?

‘Rogers Service Message: This is a reminder that your Internet installation is scheduled for 06/28/2023, between 10:00AM-12:00PM. Please have an adult present at the service address should the technician need inside access.

If you need to reschedule, please contact your Internet Service Provider before the scheduled installation time and request a different date/time.’
Starlink hardware has temporarily dropped to $200. It was 650 or 850 for a long time. Installation can be done by you, make sure you get an unobstructed view (they have a phone app to show you satellite path you need clear). Monthly is way more than competition, three figures. It can change based on options (you can request priority/higher speed, ability to move dish between locations, ability to put account on hold for months you aren't using it, etc). That being said, for locations where competition is often 5 Mbps or less, most people will gladly pay to have proper high speed internet.

How much is Starlink?

140 mo for the non portable that can't be paused. 180 for portable that can be paused.
0e1fbc5dc13be59674fddbaf5e92592d.jpg

Sent from the future

Starlink hardware has temporarily dropped to $200. It was 650 or 850 for a long time. Installation can be done by you, make sure you get an unobstructed view (they have a phone app to show you satellite path you need clear). Monthly is way more than competition, three figures. It can change based on options (you can request priority/higher speed, ability to move dish between locations, ability to put account on hold for months you aren't using it, etc). That being said, for locations where competition is often 5 Mbps or less, most people will gladly pay to have proper high speed internet.
I thought the $200 was only for very remote areas. I know my buddy was looking north of Algonquin and the price was still $800 or so for the hardware.

Thanks @Scuba Steve. That’s fairly expensive but if you don’t have other options…not much choice.

The low hardware price for Starlink is a limited time offer. It can take months to get it, be aware.

Back
Top Bottom