Border Crossing | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Border Crossing

I wish. I've only crossed by car, but about half the time they pull me in for extra questioning. Then a couple of guys search my car while I'm inside answering their questions. Once they even brought a dog to sniff around my car.

But I wonder if they're easier on motorcyclists because there's less space to hide illegal stuff on a bike.
I used to always get pulled in and have to bend over when traveling in a car, even with friends.

On the bike - never and the guards have generally been more interested in the bike trip than me.

If you are crossing in the Niagara area, the Rainbow bridge is usually the lightest because there are no trucks. Then it's a short run along the Robert Moses Parkway to the 190, across Grand Island to Buffalo where you can pick up the I-90 if you are heading west.

If you're going east into Vermont or eastern NY, I've crossed from Kingston to Wolfe Island and entered at Cape Vincent NY. Two ferries beats a bridge every time. Only a toll on the boat that enters the US and that boat can only hold a few cars or bikes so not much of a line up on the US side.

I used to cross over a lot cause of work...now its just for leisure.
Glasses off / helmet on unless they ask / passport ready.
When traveling watch for signs like this :)

IMG-20190921-131415.jpg

Last edited:
Careful on the hump at the guard shack, OK for cars but a nightmare when on a bike.

Couldn’t agree more although all crossings seem different and not all have that “trough” which will definitely mess you up if you’re not careful.

Even with the exchange,...fuel is cheaper and often food is cheaper and in PA at least cheap places to stay ...part of that of course is that part of PA is rust belt and pretty poor.

And very pro Trump.
If that matters to you.

Towns like Renovo are quite depressed.

Rob

Careful on the hump at the guard shack, OK for cars but a nightmare when on a bike.

Couldn’t agree more although all crossings seem different and not all have that “trough” which will definitely mess you up if you’re not careful.

I’m assuming that the trough is so they can easily get underneath cars/trucks to look for smuggled goods?

Definitely adds to the nerves when crossing on the bike.

Rob

I’m assuming that the trough is so they can easily get underneath cars/trucks to look for smuggled goods?

Rob
The grading is messed up by the booth to tip the car up and let them see in the car. On a bike, if you try to put it on the side stand, it wont be leaned properly and may fall over.

The grading is messed up by the booth to tip the car up and let them see in the car. On a bike, if you try to put it on the side stand, it wont be leaned properly and may fall over.

Almost learn't this the hard way. Was crossing a few weeks back, went to put stuff back into my backpack while still on the bike, and it started to tip over to the right, almost went, foot just held it and boarder agent stuck his hand out the window to grab the handle bars. Was a oh boy moment...

If you are crossing in the Niagara area, the Rainbow bridge is usually the lightest because there are no trucks. Then it's a short run along the Robert Moses Parkway to the 190, across Grand Island to Buffalo where you can pick up the I-90 if you are heading west.

If you're going east into Vermont or eastern NY, I've crossed from Kingston to Wolfe Island and entered at Cape Vincent NY. Two ferries beats a bridge every time. Only a toll on the boat that enters the US and that boat can only hold a few cars or bikes so not much of a line up on the US side.
Couple of years back,crossed over at Kingston and the bridge was a grated steel bridge. Is it still there?
(at the time was in a car with a dog...no trouble either way with the Border Guards being concerned with the dog even tho' he was large and unfriendly)

Heading down the highway

Couple of years back,crossed over at Kingston and the bridge was a grated steel bridge. Is it still there?
(at the time was in a car with a dog...no trouble either way with the Border Guards being concerned with the dog even tho' he was large and unfriendly)

Heading down the highway
It was 2011 when we crossed back on the 1000 Islands bridge near Alexandria Bay and one of them was a grated steel deck at that time. Just a wee bit unnerving in the wet.
Getting off the small ferry that crosses into the US was also a little bit of a challenge because the water level was up that year and the smooth steel ramp had quite the slope down to the dock.
Here's a shot of the small ferry that connects Wolfe Island to the US entry point.
IMG_1377.jpg

Rob

Not sure if that’s the reason.

I would assume that if they want a closer look, they’ll send you over to the Secondary Inspection Area.

I’ve always thought that as the entire “lane” is angled to allow easier viewing of car occupants, the trough is to allow for drainage and not flood the adjacent inspection booth in wet weather.

However, that’s just an assumption on my part.

I’ve always thought that as the entire “lane” is angled to allow easier viewing of car occupants, the trough is to allow for drainage and not flood the adjacent inspection booth in wet weather.

I'd say that is correct

It was 2011 when we crossed back on the 1000 Islands bridge near Alexandria Bay and one of them was a grated steel deck at that time. Just a wee bit unnerving in the wet.
Getting off the small ferry that crosses into the US was also a little bit of a challenge because the water level was up that year and the smooth steel ramp had quite the slope down to the dock.
Here's a shot of the small ferry that connects Wolfe Island to the US entry point.
View attachment 41235
If you like the steel bridge crossings, you'll love Ogdensburg.

roll into a town in ON late in the day without a reservation
you'll be lucky to find gas and a bag of chips available

Especially in northern Ontario...
I'd say after between thunder bay and Kenora most gas stations/stores close by 8pm.

I've crossed numerous times on a bike. Be polite and answer their questions. Don't chat or say any more than is necessary. They sometimes ask strange questions such as "what is your citizenship?" You want to say,"You're holding my Canadian passport, dumbass" but I simply reply Canadian. I've asked if they would like me to remove my helmet and sometimes it's yes , sometimes no. Have your story straight such as where you are going , where are you staying etc. One time I was trailering a couple of bikes down and was asked for the ownership of the trailer! Not something I had anticipated but luckily it was in my wallet. Another time, When asked where we were going my girlfriend said Alabama and I corrected her and said no, we're going to Arkansas. That slip cost us an hour in inspection and a thorough inspection including the drug sniffing dogs at the end of which the border guard said You're okay, you can go....
TL/DR Bottom line is have all of your paperwork ready and be prepared and it is usually quick and painles.

Back
Top Bottom