Border Crossing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Border Crossing

Wyled

Hi, this is my first post and I had this question for some time now and figured here was the best place to ask as I am not only unfamiliar but could not find the specific information online. I think this is the proper section too.

I was thinking about traveling down to the states just across the border to get some oil, brake fluid and chain management things for my motorcycle. The border is only about an hour and a half from where I am and I think it would be a really cool experience as I have never actually been to the states except once when I was 8.

My questions are what would I need to bring? I have all required documents however, I am currently away from home at school so I don't have my passport or birth certificate on hand. It would be a trip to go home and grab it before crossing but I may have to do that nonetheless. Would a picture of these be alright or would I need the physical piece. Would it be simpler to cross over as a pedestrian and leave my bike parked on the Canadian side? Thank you!

Hmmm.....you most definitely will need to present the actual proper identification. Not a picture of it. Passport, Nexus etc.

Walk or ride across, it won’t make a difference to the border patrol agents.

I jump over often and claim my purchases and more often than not, get waived through back on the Canadian side.

The issue they may have coming back is paying the provincial sales tax on what you bought.

Being a first timer (at least in a long time). They may teach you a lesson and make you do it. It’s not a big deal. Just go in with your receipts, and they tell you to pay in either USD or Canadian currency.

Depending on where you cross over, their might be a toll for the bridge on the way back. No more than $5 CAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long story short, you probably need to pick up your passport before attempting the trip. Pics of the document may get you laughter or an inspection, they won't get you through the border.

Stolen from a website.
"If coming by land or sea, Canadian citizens are required to present a Canadian passport or one the following travel documents:

• Enhanced Driver’s License / Enhanced Identification Card
  • NEXUS card
  • FAST card
  • SENTRI enrollment cards"

no you cant bring a picture of what are your documents, you still need a valid passport. ride, walk, fly, documentation is the same. Unless your product purchase is 32% cheaper just buy in Canada

In the good old days you got through on your word if you looked OK. Now it's a grill session and a passport is 100% needed. They will ask where you're going and for how long. Have the names of the stores handy. Be honest without any sarcasm or lip.

'Was over today for an hour...

Hit and miss re. having to pay taxes on the way back....

Today... spent $68USD.... Didnt get sent in to pay

Once came back with $2300 in US merchandize.... no pay.

Once came back with $13 US purchase...
Had to go pay... Lol

If you already have the enhanced driver's license, it will still work, but they're discontinued, and it will end in 2026.

'Was over today for an hour...

Hit and miss re. having to pay taxes on the way back....

Today... spent $68USD.... Didnt get sent in to pay

Once came back with $2300 in US merchandize.... no pay.

Once came back with $13 US purchase...
Had to go pay... Lol

That’s about my experience too. No rhyme or reason. Depends on the day I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s about my experience too. No rhyme or reason. Depends on the day I suppose.

I have never had to pay when crossing with a Nexus card through a Nexus line. Hit and miss going through the regular customs line.

did you declare at the Nexus line?

I always declare. With Nexus, it's usually one or two quick questions (where did you go, anything to declare) and a wave through. Best $50 you can spend.

thanks...$50 and half a day. Mine ran out ...waiting for a new one ...apparently they are behind in processing.

I have never had to pay when crossing with a Nexus card through a Nexus line. Hit and miss going through the regular customs line.

I haven’t chanced doing it via Nexus. Just got it this year. Lol.

And so far, I’ve been travelling with others who didn’t have it.

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll give it a try.

I haven’t chanced doing it via Nexus. Just got it this year. Lol.

And so far, I’ve been travelling with others who didn’t have it.

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll give it a try.

That’s not the way Nexus works...
After being vetted by the Canadian and U.S. Authorities, you are instructed to make your declarations on-line or in person.

If you screw-up and get caught, it’s bye-bye Nexus and your Passport most-likely flagged.

If you don’t know the rules, it’s best to learn them and follow them.

I'm on Nexus, when coming into Pearson I get the Nexus line, my printout and when i get to the officer at the end of the line if I have anything to declare I tell him. He makes the call if I get waved through or go to secondary and pay. Its hit or miss
When I drive through the border I get the Nexus lane and if I have anything to declare I tell them. Sometimes there is an officer stationed at the end of the line and sometimes it an officer on an intercom. But i tell them.
"Fooling the customs guy" is fine for people that dont care about freedom of travel, getting flagged and loosing a Nexus card would suck for me, its used a lot.

That’s not the way Nexus works...
After being vetted by the Canadian and U.S. Authorities, you are instructed to make your declarations on-line or in person.

If you screw-up and get caught, it’s bye-bye Nexus and your Passport most-likely flagged.

If you don’t know the rules, it’s best to learn them and follow them.

Wouldn’t risk losing Nexus by not declaring. I always declare.

Thanks for the concern though.

NEXUS card is one of the best investments you can make if you travel frequently. Not just to the US, but leaving or returning to Canada from anywhere.
Riding across the border is a breeze. They can scan your NEXUS card in your pocket, you don't even have to show them anything, just lift your helmet visor!
I just renewed mine online for another 5 years. Quick and easy.
Buy they will quickly take away the privilege if you don't follow all the rules.

NEXUS card is one of the best investments you can make if you travel frequently.

+1 as it is a great time saver at CAN/US land border crossings and as a trusted traveler at airport security both in the US and Canada.

You have a responsibility to declare whatever exceeds your standard deductions. Having a Nexus card is a privilege and if you screw up on this and get caught they will yank your card and flag you for misery everytime you cross the border.

Back
Top Bottom