Boeing 737 Max 8 | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boeing 737 Max 8

So there have been a few developments.
  1. FAA said there is no way in hell Max 8 will be flying in 2019. This should not have been a surprise to anybody. I would hope Boeing continuing to stick by their timeline of flying in 2019 was more about propping up the stock than actually believing that timeframe was possible.
  2. Max 8 production pauses in January. I'm not sure if this is because they are out of money to tie up in inventory or if they are out of places to store the mostly finished planes. That plant employs 12,000 people who will not be working, but will not be laid off as Boeing needs them back. The suppliers on the other hand will probably have a temporary bloodbath as they don't have such deep pockets to employ an entire workforce that isn't working.
  3. A Transport Canada official sent correspondence that the Max 8 should not fly again with MCAS. After some scrambling and probably more than a few angry political phone calls, higher ups said roughly "that was a working level discussion that we do not have the political will to enforce so pay no attention to it"
  4. Boeings arrogance has also affected the 787. To protect the fuel tank during lightning strikes, the original design has an insulating layer, then a metal shield layer, then the tank. As a running change, Boeing pulled the insulating layer. Then since, they got away with that, they pulled the metal layer. FAA experts raised serious concerns as Boeing had not done the required studies to prove this was safe. FAA brass rubber stamped the change.
  5. A supplier formally notified Boeing that there was a problem with a component in the wings and it may not meet the required strength. Boeing installed the parts anyway and got the FAA to sign off on the planes with known bad parts while telling the FAA that there were no known deficiencies in the completed planes. The FAA wants to fine them $4,000,000 for this. &%&%*&%. The fine should be $4,000,000,000. They knowingly lied to FAA inspectors about safety critical components. The fine has to be 1000x worse than any potential benefit if you want it to have any effect.
It is quite apparent that the entire Boeing aviation culture is ^*&^*&^ and they have put money ahead of everything else. I am still not convinced that the Max 8 will survive this. It may be the penance they have to pay to save the company. Maybe Boeing has started to realize this and that is why production is stopping. They may be like VW with fields of expensive lepers that nobody wants anything to do with as they can't legally be used.

was going to ask
how on earth does the CEO still have a job?
but I guess this is why
stock is same value as 12 months ago

surely that has to change as they pay many millions in penalties
and have hundreds of cancelled sales

mlf7qUg.png

was going to ask
but I guess this is why
stock is same value as 12 months ago

surely that has to change as they pay many millions in penalties
and have hundreds of cancelled sales

mlf7qUg.png
With the functional duopoly, cancelled sales arent happening. Airlines need planes, switching to Airbus bumpsnyour delivery date back years.

Boeing 777X’s fuselage split dramatically during September stress test

It probably wouldn't be that big a deal but considering the Max 8 fiasco...................
Yeah, without the spotlight, a failure at 99% or required load would have been passed by the FAA. With the spotlight, my money is on them redoing the test. If the spec is 1.5x load and you didn't get there, you failed. Try again. This is why Boeing has tried from the beginning to minimize everything around the Max 8. They do not want a spotlight as it may find other dirt and make it very very difficult to do business and build planes in the manner they have become accustomed too.

To be fair, that was a pretty extreme test and the plane is very unlikely to be under that stress in service but the test criteria would have been determined based on something. Nobody pulled "lift the wing tips 28' while holding the fuselage down by the nose and tail" out of their ass. Again, Boeing tried to minimize the failure and allowed the world to believe it was a failed door not a catastrophic structural failure. I wonder who Boeing has working PR. It's either someone without a brain, or someone that is completely muzzled by the bean counters.

I am surprised he has lasted this long too. My guess is they are just keeping him to weather the brunt of this, then when they start a turnaround, get a fresh face in?

I wonder who Boeing has working PR. It's either someone without a brain, or someone that is completely muzzled by the bean counters.
I think their reaction to this crisis was born out of the same corporate culture that allowed the MAX 8 failure in the first place, a bunch of idiots who got used to resting on their laurels

When was the last time the general public gave a **** what model of plane they were flying on? The Dehavilland comet? Even MH370 didn't have this much of a negative impact on the 777. No one is going to want to step onto a MAX 8 after its returned to service. Add to that the fact that Boeing has a massive incentive to get this fix done as quickly as possible...

Reactions: J_F
I'm guessing there are so many problems that they figure they might as well let the present CEO handle all the crap. A newly appointed one will still have face egg to deal with until the entire corporate attitude has changed. There's little point to changing your clothes while you're still wading in the sewer.

I'm guessing there are so many problems that they figure they might as well let the present CEO handle all the crap. A newly appointed one will still have face egg to deal with until the entire corporate attitude has changed. There's little point to changing your clothes while you're still wading in the sewer.
And since the current CEO picked up a $24,000,000 bonus last year, that helps remove the sting of being a lame duck.

I was listening to an "expert" on AM640 the other night saying Boeing was definitely getting the Max back in the air, and that the shares would go up 900% once they get it ironed out plus Air Canada just ordered a bunch of them. Next day Boeing cancelled the plane's production. LOL.

Boeing 737 Max8 Aircraft Crashes and Investigations [Part 5] - Engineering Failures & Disasters - Eng-Tips (see post of 22 Dec 19)

Penalty clauses are into the multi billions.

It sounds like the right questions are being asked, but they're not getting the right answers.

I've been hearing that airlines are now figuring on no return to service until at least mid 2020.

I wonder what engineering is going on behind the scenes to fix this ... if there is a major redesign in the works (which sounds to me like the only way to get through this - $$$), or if they're just going to continue trying to patch it up.

disclaimer, I don't own Boeing stock, nor am I short it, too much uncertainty, I've never touched it with a ten foot pole and don't intend to.

In other news the new Space Shuttle Max 8 had its first sort of successful flight....

Boeing’s new Starliner spacecraft lands in the desert after shaky first flight to space
Haha. Eediots. Time set wrong on the module, then in a dead spot so they couldnt get manual control, then press releases that said if there had been people on board, don't worry, the control centre could have taken control. Smh. Again, a string of poorly thought out lies to cover incompetence. I guess the arrogance extends well beyond the plane program.

Back
Top Bottom