BMW S1000R maintenance. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW S1000R maintenance.

I don't know. For RTW I would take an old KLR over a new KLR or a T7. T7 is about double the price of a KLR. I put it half way between the KLR and GS in my mind.
was referring to the adventure spec with the bags etc

eh...imo the T7 is the new klr isnt it?

New, they're almost neck and neck in price now days, but the yamaha does everything the KLR does, except much better

Are you looking at the Canadian prices for both? MSRP on the base model KLR is $7500 (although you'd want the $7900 ABS model for a fairer comparison) and the Tenere 700 is $12800. That's several lifetimes worth of milk crates and gas.

Throwing OE hardcases and LED foglamps on the T7 brings it up to $15900 versus the $10k for the equivalent KLR 'adventure' model.

When i watched Long Way Round with Ewan and Charlie, and what they did to their BMWs,i thought to myself. Why aren't they on KLRs? No broken frames and waiting for parts.

That was cast wheels that were the issue not the bikes.Both the KLR and the V Storm required lots of work and parts after the 5500 km trip.I have addressed the rim issues for when I make the next trip up there hopefully in the fall with a 2022 GSAView attachment 54199
You're not the first to blow a GS cast rim. I was riding with a GS1200 down Woodbine near Aurora Rd when we hit the end of a pavement grind. We were doing about 100kmh, when we hit the end of the grind the GS rim broke, my FJR survived. The GS owner said that was his second break, the other after hitting a wooden bridge on a dirt road.

Not sure what anyone would use a 3x19" cast aluminum wheel on a big ADV bike.

I really do like the klr. Here's my comparison. Let me know where I'm wrong
Goes anywhere a GS will go
Easily maintained by owner w/o expensive service intervals
It's more reliable (from what I've seen/heard)
Costs about a third of the GS
You don't cry when you dump it (over and over again)
People don't automatically think your a snob
And of course milk crates look GOOD on killer
Goes anywhere a GS will go?

Almost. A KLR can't safely run an Autobahn or any interstate in the green or blue areas.
1648671675163.png

No big smile when you whack the throttle open. Less composed in high speed sweepers. They are both cool bikes but they have very different approaches. As a daily driver bike or for week to month long tours mostly on roads with some exploring I would prefer the GS. If I was setting off for years solo, KLR would be my choice.
Wrong. Thumper torgue!

People my mind is made up. Please quit trying to confuse me with facts.

We have different ideas on safety. I'll do 75 all day. If I'm 10mph under the limit I'm ok with it.
75 might be a comfy and safe cruising speed for a KLR if you're all by yourself on the open road. The hard part is traffic whooshing by at 90-100mph - those variances at higher speeds add danger.

Personally, I like cruising with a little getaway power left. You're running close to WOT in your final gear, there's no downshift at 75 -- you're past 4th gear redline.

But who cares anyway -- who enjoys pounding out mindless interstate miles in a state of automaticity on a motorcycle? I prefer the blue highways, as should a KLR (or any motorcycle).

Back
Top Bottom