BMW S1000R maintenance. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW S1000R maintenance.

How about Japanese bike has one button to operate signals. bmw decides it's better to use three.

How about Japanese bike has one button to operate signals. bmw decides it's better to use three.

Newer BMWs (I believe it started getting phased in 2010-ish) have fixed this. This particular detail is now the same as how everyone else does it.

I won't fault BMW for using Torx fasteners everywhere ... I actually rather like Torx fasteners.

Say what you like about BMW, I've owned an 86 K100LT, F800GS, R1200GS and R1250RT. Each maintained according to BMW maintenance schedule. Never had a road breakdown. Replaced some light bulbs and that's it. Admittedly not @Lightcycle type mileage but not garage queens either. IMO BMW are design and safety innovation leaders for the industry as well.
Have at it boys! I will say no more.

I've ridden a current-generation and outgoing-generation S1000RR on the racetrack, and thought they were awesome. Just bear in mind that you'll need to bring your own tools for the fasteners that the other manufacturers don't use.

Say what you like about BMW, I've owned an 86 K100LT, F800GS, R1200GS and R1250RT. Each maintained according to BMW maintenance schedule. Never had a road breakdown. Replaced some light bulbs and that's it. Admittedly not @Lightcycle type mileage but not garage queens either. IMO BMW are design and safety innovation leaders for the industry as well.
they do seem to have the best utility and user experience from what i've seen

Really good seats, ergos, great wind protection usually, top of the line electronics, comfort etc

I've NEVER heard anyone complain about comfort when it comes to beemers

IMO, put enough miles on any motorcycle and the gremlins will start to creep in eventually.

For the touring bikes, anecdotally, Yamaha seems to have the best record for reliability. Honda comes in second. I think BMW is middle of the pack, and KTM lingers at the bottom: "Ready to Wrench".

I don't think you need to do something just because the manual calls for it. For example the manual for my Suzuki says to replace the spark plugs every 12,000 kms which makes no sense. Brake fluid goes bad over time regardless of how high or low the mileage so I don't see how flushing it every 10k is reasonable. I also highly doubt you needed a new air filter at 10k, unless you were riding in a lot of dirt.

Talked to a guy years ago that upon retirement bought the bike would last him till he was done with two wheels. BMW K1200LT. Wanted to really take care of it. His first major service was $2700. Lol

they do seem to have the best utility and user experience from what i've seen

Really good seats, ergos, great wind protection usually, top of the line electronics, comfort etc

I've NEVER heard anyone complain about comfort when it comes to beemers
When BMW Rider did the Trans Taiga 2 beemers had to ride home in a truck, not so or the KLRs.
But yeah best motorbike ever.

I don't think you need to do something just because the manual calls for it. For example the manual for my Suzuki says to replace the spark plugs every 12,000 kms which makes no sense. Brake fluid goes bad over time regardless of how high or low the mileage so I don't see how flushing it every 10k is reasonable. I also highly doubt you needed a new air filter at 10k, unless you were riding in a lot of dirt.
You don’t…unless you care about your warranty!

You don’t…unless you care about your warranty!
I thought warranty was only related to first break in service? Sheesh

My observation is that Japanese bike makers prioritized dependability - dependable engineering, comprehensive product testing, and proven technology. Euro bike designers prioritize style and tech, not as much effort goes into dependability engineering and testing, more willing to use tech and designs that have not been completely fleshed out.

You don't see pages and pages of used 10+ year old Eurobikes for sale as they tend to get parted out rather than repaired to be survivors. Across Canada on Kijiji there are 300 BMWs, 300KTM's, 2800 Hondas., & 2200 Yamahas that are 10+ years old for sale.

I just saw what the Triumph might cost for it's first service.

Back
Top Bottom