BMW S1000R maintenance. | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW S1000R maintenance.

RX100

Any S1000R riders here? I am looking to upgrade this season. Found a bmw S1000R and suzuki GSX S1000F.

Both are 2016. S1000r got 40k kms and gsx got 10k kms. Inclined towards BMW. How expensive is S1000R compared to japanese litre bikes?

I like sports bikes but my group does 600km weekend day rides. Currently on CBR500R and did 10k kms last season. Its very comfortable. Prefer sports touring for insurance and ergonomics..

I have a '20 S1000XR.

Well, the S1KR is certainly not a sports touring, it's a sports naked.

Parts and labour can certainly be more expensive then the japanese brands.

Generally speaking Euro bikes need more maintenance, repairs, and have higher cost of ownership due to those and the premium on parts. You're making a big jump from a 500cc Honda to either of these bikes, both in performance and cost of ownership.

Scheduled maint if down by the owner should be somewhat comparable if you use aftermarket consumables (vs Motorrad branded oil, coolant, brake pads, chains etc).

Dealer maint on a BMW will be higher, so will dealer repairs.

I have a '20 S1000XR.

Well, the S1KR is certainly not a sports touring, it's a sports naked.

Parts and labour can certainly be more expensive then the japanese brands.
Is there a difference in the build quality, maintenance intervals and run-reliability that compensates for the price difference?
Thanks!

Is there a difference in the build quality, maintenance intervals and run-reliability that compensates for the price difference?
Thanks!
i would say yes there is typically a difference in build quality. euro bikes usually have a lot going on (lots of gadgets and tech) that require maintenance and 'special' parts, sometimes even special tools. I would say intervals (at least for BMW) are on par with the Japanese. Reliability as a whole could be below Japanese, but some models are pretty solid!

Any S1000R riders here? I am looking to upgrade this season. Found a bmw S1000R and suzuki GSX S1000F.

Both are 2016. S1000r got 40k kms and gsx got 10k kms. Inclined towards BMW. How expensive is S1000R compared to japanese litre bikes?

I like sports bikes but my group does 600km weekend day rides. Currently on CBR500R and did 10k kms last season. Its very comfortable. Prefer sports touring for insurance and ergonomics..
go with the beemer.
There is no comparison, comes with cruise, quick shifter, heated grips as stock, even on those early models I believe.

Parts are more expensive, general reliability is the same on all modern bikes

I owned a beemer once. I'd get the Suzuki.

Thanks for suggestions. I got a GSX S1000.. naked one. Bike is couple of years old and less than 10k kms. I drove on 401. Naked bike so i see big difference on wind protection. Thinking to add a visor..

Just did my 10k service

View attachment 54162
adf76aea46415fc610acf39332ba074a.jpg

Seeing that killed whatever interest I had about German bikes lol

Just did my 10k service

View attachment 54162

If you thought that bill was bad...

My wife had a S1000RR and the 10K service was considered a "minor service".

The major service was every 20K and included everything from the 10K service plus checking valve clearances and timing, as well as changing spark plugs and fork oil.

If you thought that bill was bad...

My wife had a S1000RR and the 10K service was considered a "minor service".

The major service was every 20K and included everything from the 10K service plus checking valve clearances and timing, as well as changing spark plugs and fork oil.
i'm not complaining :)

looks like 30k, but it won't be in my garage at that point :D

1648348535146.png

I don't think that bill is unreasonable. The filters are pricey, but only a bit. BMW's are great machines but the dealer network is better with Honda etc. That's the reason i sold my BMW to but the Goldwing.
Agreed.

Hard to go wrong swapping the beemer for a Honda.

Japanese vehicle: Switch operated by ignition key goes to the switched-power circuit that feeds the whole bike including the engine.

European vehicle: Switch operated by ignition key goes to a computer module input. That computer module has a bazillion other inputs and is a black box containing mysterious logic that checks that the entire universe is permissive for starting the engine, at which point the computer fires an output that switches a relay that activates the power to the ignition system and another relay that operates the starting motor. Otherwise it turns on the yellow "fault warning" triangle with an exclamation mark inside it and doesn't let you do anything. Or it lets the engine start but only lets it run in limp mode.

Real world experience/observation at the racetrack. Japanese bike has the same spark plugs that everyone else uses, with the same 5/8" / 16mm spark plug socket. BMW S1000RR uses a 14mm deep spark plug socket that no one has. And you can't swap it for the same spark plugs that everyone else uses so that you can use the same tool that everyone else uses, because a normal spark plug socket won't fit down the cylinder head to where the spark plugs are.

Back
Top Bottom