Bill 7 $400 a day for hospital stay | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bill 7 $400 a day for hospital stay

Yes I have also hear the patient will be shipped faraway. Sounds like a threat/ ultimatum !

Maybe one way of extending the hospital stay without paying?
Only choose the long term facilely that is best for you family situation. Closer to family is usually the best option. If there are only two locations you prefer than only choose the two. So Don't pick 5 locations! You don't want the other 3 locations! So if the hospital wants to release the your Mom or Dad you can state that you are waiting for a "room" at the long term residence that you chose and works for your family.

There will be pressure from the hospital social worker about them wanting to release the "patient'.
Home care will come up- What ever they say about home care support is a good and manageable is BS!
They will say the one location you want has a long waiting list - You state that one specific location is best for your family and will not choose other locations due to undue hardship that will cause the family. You must be adamant about the only location you want.

The hospital might release the patient to a "in-between" facility. Sort of like a transitioning place from the hospital and term ie The ReActivation Centre at Jane and Church in Toronto. You can voice which in-between facilty you would like but there are not many. Only other one is at/near Trillium Hospital near Sherway Mall (Not 100% sure). All the best!
You can no longer extend hospital stays unless you are prepared for the $400/ fee.

The "inbetween" placement can be up to an hour away, the lihn staff choose which are acceptable.

They gave me 4 options: Paris, Brantford, Hagersville and the Falls, all 50-60 minutes from dads house in Burlington. They will give you several options... if you refuse them all, be prepared to break out your wallet.

I'm bringing him home next week as soon as I get the PSWs hired.

You can no longer extend hospital stays unless you are prepared for the $400/ fee.

The "inbetween" placement can be up to an hour away, the lihn staff choose which are acceptable.

They gave me 4 options: Paris, Brantford, Hagersville and the Falls, all 50-60 minutes from dads house in Burlington. They will give you several options... if you refuse them all, be prepared to break out your wallet.

I used "HomeInstead" for a couple of months. It wasn't bad care, but it's a for profit business. Sue would have been cared for better in ltc or hospital.

There is the second challenge in mikes post , if you live an hour from dad , and they move him an hour the opposite way from where he lives , you can end up 2hrs or more away.
Finding any caregiver , that cares as much as you do , can be very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

If you don't mind my asking - is there a specific agency you are approaching for PSW support?
If so, would you mind sharing a few details/names?
We are interviewing a few. We're going for 2hr stints, twice a day. The going rate in the area is $40/hr. The LIHN is provideing 4hrs a day (2 x 2 hr stints, 1 at 10am for wakeup, another for 7-9PM for bedtime, and I'm arranging for a third visit as a safety. We are using three different support workers, mainly because we are told PSW visits are not 100% consistent -- if an assigned worker is sick, they just don't come. This gives us better odds of having consistent help.

Also, Paramedics also volunteer time to seniors recieving homecare (this may vary by region). I don't know much about this yet, but I was told they generously volunteer to help navigate the system, meds, health checks, and physical help moving patients from bed to car for regular medical appointments.

I'm not an expert by any means -- learning as I go!

Services we're evaluating:

Right at Home,
Home Instead,
Bayshore Home Health

There is the second challenge in mikes post , if you live an hour from dad , and they move him an hour the opposite way from where he lives , you can end up 2hrs or more away.
Finding any caregiver , that cares as much as you do , can be very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
No caregiver is going to have as much concern and compassion as you will, I don't mean that in a way that criticizes or sets low expectations, it's simply reality.

Caregivers seem to vary a lot. Some are compassionate and empathetic, and some are clinical and there to 'get the job done' and get out. Like anything in healthcare, you must be a vigilant advocate for your loved one. I've also found that being nice to the help makes a huge difference -- coffee, polite requests, and "thank-you's" are cheap, and I sprinkle that **** around like confetti.

Another observation over the last month is nurses and PSWs behave much differently when family members are present. They have always been gentle in getting dad from bed to chair, but watching them work on the next person (with no family in the room) isn't always as 'nice'. We have enough family in the area for a full-time vigil with dad so my hopes are high that we can inspire good work.

We are interviewing a few. We're going for 2hr stints, twice a day. The going rate in the area is $40/hr. The LIHN is provideing 4hrs a day (2 x 2 hr stints, 1 at 10am for wakeup, another for 7-9PM for bedtime, and I'm arranging for a third visit as a safety. We are using three different support workers, mainly because we are told PSW visits are not 100% consistent -- if an assigned worker is sick, they just don't come. This gives us better odds of having consistent help.

Also, Paramedics also volunteer time to seniors recieving homecare (this may vary by region). I don't know much about this yet, but I was told they generously volunteer to help navigate the system, meds, health checks, and physical help moving patients from bed to car for regular medical appointments.

I'm not an expert by any means -- learning as I go!

Services we're evaluating:

Right at Home,
Home Instead,
Bayshore Home Health
How many weeks of care is the LIHN offering?

How many weeks of care is the LIHN offering?
They have been pretty good. Dad can stay in the hospital for as long as it takes to get the PSW contracts in place (2 weeks) without the $400/day penalty. I just heard the LIHN decided to up his PSW support to 8 hrs/day -- 2 PSWs from 10-12 AM, and 2 from 6:30-830PM because dad is a big fella and moving him from bed to chair can be challenging -- his ability to help is inconsistent.

The support is until he gets a local LTC placement -- their expectation is that will be Jan-Feb '23.

If MM is correct, this new process doesn't change your position in the priority lists. It's really hard to find truth anywhere. Every person, organization and "media" source wants to put their spin on it. Given the fractured state of management, I wouldn't be surprised if each LIHN made up their own process and they may not be consistent with others.

If the Paris option is the Willet Hospital, my F-I-L was in charge of maintenance there ages ago when it was actually a hospital. It's an hour and a half drive from west Toronto. Add the Markham - West TO and you're looking at two hours +/- depending on how much you want to finance the 407.

Is there a problem with centering the LTC location on a more logical spot, typically proximity to the nearest family member? My daughter lives in the Hammer but I would be placed in Scarborough, Oshawa, Barrie. Logic???

My neighbour has full Alzheimer's and her daughter moved back home to take care of her. I get the impression the daughter has hired her own PCW worker as I heard her discuss WSIB (You need it). I assume she's saving a bit on the 40 hours a week M-F. She also controls who looks after mom as there's no manager shuffling shifts to part timers.

She went through a couple before settling on the present one and she's a keeper. All she has to do is watch mom but she said she was bored so also did some of the other household chores. She pushes mom to take walks when the weather is good.

Thank you @Mad Mike

Was looking for some options for my dad - his Parkinson's symptoms seem to be getting worse as the years go by.
Not sure Id be ok with him going to ltc so trying to weigh all options for now.

My 97 year old MIL moved to a private retirement home last Tuesday. She received home care at her condo. Same LHIN both places, but different private sector care providers. So she needed another assessment from the LHIN and also the care provider. Why? She changed residences, nothing else changed. So, due to this no services since last Wednesday with today being the first scheduled appointment after a meaningless reassessment. Needless to say............ no one showed up and a call to the LHIN goes to voicemail, a call to the new care provider who did their reassessment Monday revealed "We don't have your mom in our system" So, it did get sorted out, she might see someone at her door today, or it could be Monday, they can't say.

This is how home care often works in Ontario, endless, make work, processes, no accountability and the elderly and sick suffer the consequences with family members trying as best they can to fill the gaps.

One of our key objectives over the last 5 - 6 years since she fell, broke her hip and lost a fair amount of mobility after the initial 6 - 9 month healing process was to kept her out of LTC as long as possible. Overall home care at the condo has been good, but lots of examples of PSA's who don't show up, never being able to speak to someone at the LHIN or the care provider without delays and certainly no feeling that my MIL is a valued client or just, plain and simple, a human being needing care to remain in her home as long as possible.

They have been pretty good. Dad can stay in the hospital for as long as it takes to get the PSW contracts in place (2 weeks) without the $400/day penalty. I just heard the LIHN decided to up his PSW support to 8 hrs/day -- 2 PSWs from 10-12 AM, and 2 from 6:30-830PM because dad is a big fella and moving him from bed to chair can be challenging -- his ability to help is inconsistent.

The support is until he gets a local LTC placement -- their expectation is that will be Jan-Feb '23.

I hope this works out for your dad. With my disabled relative there was all kinds of discussion at the hospital with the infamous "discharge planner"about multiple visits per day from home care to support the relative and enable a discharge from the hospital. Much of this discussion was high pressure to get us to agree to move him to a transition bed and then he'd be discharged to his apartment. Long story short, after much discussion home care declares that they do not have the resources to do this and effectively, have never had the resources for this type of intensive care. So, the whole story from the discharge planner about multiple visits per day was completely bogus and just a ruse to get the family to accept a discharge.

I hope this works out for your dad. With my disabled relative there was all kinds of discussion at the hospital with the infamous "discharge planner"about multiple visits per day from home care to support the relative and enable a discharge from the hospital. Much of this discussion was high pressure to get us to agree to move him to a transition bed and then he'd be discharged to his apartment. Long story short, after much discussion home care declares that they do not have the resources to do this and effectively, have never had the resources for this type of intensive care. So, the whole story from the discharge planner about multiple visits per day was completely bogus and just a ruse to get the family to accept a discharge.
LIHN community support is setting up support,. The hospital's discharge planner (whom I see as the Grinch), is responsible for getting people 'off their lawn', LIHN for getting them support. My parents have a few friends who preceded them into this abyss, I'v learned a lot from their families and at least in Halton, the LIHN is trustworthy.

I'll continue to share my learnings -- hopefully, it will help someone along the way.

Ontario could face Charter challenge over law forcing some elderly hospital patients into nursing homes​

Anything can be challenged, I don't think this will win. They are being transferred on a temporary basis. There are alternatives if the family/patient prefers (bring them home or rent a hotel room and pay for care or leave them in hospital and pay). People seem to think the charter protects their every whim with all costs covered. It doesn't.

Last edited:
A complex clinical care client I did a lot of training and work with got shipped off to butt fuk no where earlier this year :(

My wife commented about the LTC location being based on the patients address. Why wouldn't it be the address of the person with POA / health? At least have that as an option.

Back
Top Bottom