Bikes with character... | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bikes with character...

1851436323-hondanxr750dakar_720x540.jpg

865cc air cooled, isn't it? What's there to mess with EFI? Didn't you straighten out your fuel map ages ago? Should be "one and done".

And what parts are needed for a valve adjustment? The valve cover gasket and spark plug seals can almost always be reused. Shims? Shame on Triumph if they're back ordered. Whatever the case, any 25mm shim will work. A number of older Japanese bikes use them, notably the air cooled DOHC Honda inline fours, among others. They shouldn't be hard to find.
Tune is good now I think - I believe my current running issues are valve caused. Though I won't know until the job is done. Was running great last summer, and then this spring it started acting funky again. Also had a P1108 error for a few days, though I unplugged and replugged the sensor and it seems to have gone away today. Not sure if that's failing too, or if it was just a fluke thing.

Shop refuses to do the job until the gaskets come in - even though I told them I'm fine having a leaking cover for a few weeks until the stuff comes and I can throw it on myself. Four or five weeks waiting on parts now :) I have cam cover gasket + the four gaskets for the cam cover bolts coming in.

Would to it myself, but no long term clean indoor space available to me at the moment for me to pull the top off.

I'm tolerating it for now - because I genuinely like the character of this bike. But my patience is wearing thin.

Tune is good now I think - I believe my current running issues are valve caused. Though I won't know until the job is done. Was running great last summer, and then this spring it started acting funky again. Also had a P1108 error for a few days, though I unplugged and replugged the sensor and it seems to have gone away today. Not sure if that's failing too, or if it was just a fluke thing.

Shop refuses to do the job until the gaskets come in - even though I told them I'm fine having a leaking cover for a few weeks until the stuff comes and I can throw it on myself. Four or five weeks waiting on parts now :) I have cam cover gasket + the four gaskets for the cam cover bolts coming in.

Would to it myself, but no long term clean indoor space available to me at the moment for me to pull the top off.

I'm tolerating it for now - because I genuinely like the character of this bike. But my patience is wearing thin.
Sorry to hear of this delay of parts. They should be on the shelf, always. Disappointing and very frustrating.

Good luck with it.

"Character"is a synonym for" "problematic" (cough, cough, Ducati.) Sounds like you're bored...get a 701 and don't look back.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

LOL. You think Ducati has problems so you recommend KTM?
The 701 is extremely reliable. Maybe even bulletproof.

"Extremely reliable" cannot be used in a sentence to describe anything Ducati makes or has ever made. Granted, they are getting better.

Or Vitpilen if you really want different. Both are KTM 690's at the core. The 701 Supermoto will leave a smile on your face every single ride. It's for guys who've ridden a lot, owned a lot of bikes and are bored. It gets you unbored and back into learning new skills.

I doubt a Husky will be any more reliable than its sister KTM. Reliability/dependability is kind of a feature, it's not a key focus for Euro designers, the prioritize style and performance.

I doubt they eill ever approach the Japanese, the sheer scale of production, the level of outsourced systems, and design culture make this difficult.

I recently had a discussion with a Euro engineer who was investigating mechanical failure on a locking system. When asked why the Japaness lock did 200,000 cycles vs 24,000 fir his design was simple- the spec is 24000 cycles, exceeding thst means hardening 2 pieces which adds to cost. Thst made it clear for me.

BMW ride event June 23 in Barrie. I'm testing out a R9T. Looks interesting. I'd love a smaller bike to compliment the K1600. Anyone here own or have owned a R9T?

Back
Top Bottom