Bike meets such as LnL - during COVID 19. Your thoughts. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike meets such as LnL - during COVID 19. Your thoughts.

Klaatu

Site Supporter
Just wondering on everyone's thoughts are on these gatherings.
They started one in Whitby on Fridays last year and they are thinking of doing it again this week.
I am talking to the organizer of that event. Can people social distance at these events?
The had a car meet up in Mississauga last week and police handed out 100 tickets. I will put the link below.
I know that last Thursday there were 200 bikes at LnL with no police incident.
There was no social distancing last Thursday. I think if things like this continue, the police will show up.
Just wondering what everybody's view on this is.

The link : Police bust big crowd at car rally in Mississauga for not social distancing

They haven't raised the gathering limit past 5 people. So thoughts mean nothing. Cops can and will hand out fines.
Weather's nice, go for a ride or a drive.
Don't know why people need to meet up to stand around their cars or bikes every week.

Don't know why people need to meet up to stand around their cars or bikes every week.
Easy there.

I enjoy seeing old and new faces, talking shop or plenty of other topics.

Some of my current close friends I met at a 'meet up'.

Beats ending up in a ditch or helping someone out of one from some random ride full of wheelies and blow up dolls.

Easy there.

I enjoy seeing old and new faces, talking shop or plenty of other topics.

Some of my current close friends I met at a 'meet up'.

Beats ending up in a ditch or helping someone out of one from some random ride full of wheelies and blow up dolls.

Sorry, I've been to my share of coffee and small meet ups.
Should have clarified these large style meets, where most groups go just to show off and get validation for their mods or money spent.
The one I used to go to was a great place for newbies to meet experienced guys and talk bikes.

It's inadvisable to do something organised or quasi-organised for more than 5 unrelated people without having a solid plan for physical distancing in place.

A few people scattered here and there shouldn't attract attention (and it's easy to keep a little distance between people), but a big gathering will.

Our track day for SOAR is a go for next weekend, but that's thanks to the racetrack operators and other involved organisations in the province getting together and coming up with a set of guidelines for physical distancing. And it's a private, controlled-access event. No random spectators coming in off the street to watch. Everyone gets handed a set of rules that they have to follow.

I would highly recommend avoiding the traditional informal meet-ups for the time being.

A few reasonably close friends outside at the local coffee shop - keeping distance between people - Not a problem.

If I were estimating, I'd say that's still 75+% of bike meets anywhere you go are those that are there to brag about purchases/mods.

Nothing wrong with the bike meets for the most part cuz its all in good fun - like any meet, there's the few that really ruin it for everyone.

I would stay away from that at the best of times.

My niece used to work at the Tim Horton's drive thru there.

There are things you can't unsee.

Avoid like the plague.

Should have clarified these large style meets, where most groups go just to show off and get validation for their mods or money spent.

Yep. Happens with the Hortons Choice crowd as well. Ride 15 minutes to Timmies in the next town, pose all day standing next to your bike and talking about it with anyone who will listen. Bike averages 1000km a year.

I'm on the same page as you - a meetup involves friends I know. Sorry, I'm not really big into talking to strangers to hear all about how they went all the way to Ottawa or Niagara Falls on their "big ride" last year. /s

It's inadvisable to do something organised or quasi-organised for more than 5 unrelated people without having a solid plan for physical distancing in place.

A few people scattered here and there shouldn't attract attention (and it's easy to keep a little distance between people), but a big gathering will.

Our track day for SOAR is a go for next weekend, but that's thanks to the racetrack operators and other involved organisations in the province getting together and coming up with a set of guidelines for physical distancing.

The rules around the "more than 5 people" thing are fuzzy. We returned last weekend to doing a coffee meetup with the members of our RC after a 2 month hiatus of all events and gatherings of any size (we were doing video chats instead on our usual coffee morning meetups), but even that's a hard one to know if we are technically legal or not since we had about 10 people show up. We are absolutely distancing, and we are trying to remain in groups of 5, but are we OK as long as we are in groups of 5 even if we have a total sum of 10. Could you have 50 people show up as long as we remain in groups of 5?

It's fuzzy, but I guess if organizations are running like you mention, well, it's gotta be OK as long as everyone distances and no more than 5 gather in one particular spot.

Lastly, will everyone FOLLOW the rules? The problem with all this is the conspiracy theorists and the 20-somethings who call it the "Boomer Remover" and feel invincible so they just don't care about others around them. Things are only as strong as their weakest link, and if you have one Typhoid Mary "It's all a big nothing burger, this is stupid, relax!" running around spreading to all those little groups of 5 throughout the day, well, there's a problem.

Yep. Happens with the Hortons Choice crowd as well. Ride 15 minutes to Timmies in the next town, pose all day standing next to your bike and talking about it with anyone who will listen. Bike averages 1000km a year.

I'm on the same page as you - a meetup involves friends I know. Sorry, I'm not really big into talking to strangers to hear all about how they went all the way to Ottawa or Niagara Falls on their "big ride" last year. /s

The rules around the "more than 5 people" thing are fuzzy. We returned last weekend to doing a coffee meetup with the members of our RC after a 2 month hiatus of all events and gatherings of any size (we were doing video chats instead on our usual coffee morning meetups), but even that's a hard one to know if we are technically legal or not since we had about 10 people show up. We are absolutely distancing, and we are trying to remain in groups of 5, but are we OK as long as we are in groups of 5 even if we have a total sum of 10. Could you have 50 people show up as long as we remain in groups of 5?

It's fuzzy, but I guess if organizations are running like you mention, well, it's gotta be OK as long as everyone distances and no more than 5 gather in one particular spot.

Lastly, will everyone FOLLOW the rules? The problem with all this is the conspiracy theorists and the 20-somethings who call it the "Boomer Remover" and feel invincible so they just don't care about others around them. Things are only as strong as their weakest link, and if you have one Typhoid Mary "It's all a big nothing burger, this is stupid, relax!" running around spreading to all those little groups of 5 throughout the day, well, there's a problem.

It is still unclear about the long term complications of this virus. Yeah most 20 somethings will survive but will they need dialysis when they're 45?

The rules aren’t actually fuzzy , nobody likes the rules . It’s groups of no more than 5 and no total value group over 50 , but in groups of 5 and then social distancing. Two people in the same car are supposed to have the same address. People on a boat have to have the same address , no fishing with buddies even if it’s 2 and the boat is 30ft .
You can run a track day , as long as everyone is well informed of how it will work.
Groups like L&L are just an opportunity for another Bellwood park show. Invite the mayor.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Go back and think about the intent of the rules.

Physical distancing -> reduce virus transmission to reduce spread, keep in mind the possibility of asymptomatic spreaders.
Wear a mask -> reduce virus transmission to reduce spread, keep in mind the possibility of asymptomatic spreaders..
Reduce the number of contacts between people who don't normally contact each other -> It's inevitable that people living in the same space will have interaction with each other and if any one of them get sick, there is a good chance that they will all get sick. OK, we have to accept that risk. But reduce the risk of those people interacting with others outside their normal group -> reduce virus transmission to reduce spread.
And here is the biggie, Improve the possibility of contact-tracing within any group. "don't interact with people you don't know". If you gather in a group and you know the name of everyone in that group, then should one of you get sick, you can pick out everyone for being tested. If you can NOT name everyone in the group then contact-tracing becomes impossible!

On our upcoming track day, everyone is registered and spectators are not allowed -> collectively, even should the worst happen and someone infected comes in, the organisers can track down everyone who was there. They have a list.

In your group of friends, even if you all get together within reason, you can all name each other, should the worst happen.

At a workplace, even in normal times, industrial plants know who their employees are and they keep track of visitors. I have to sign in and sign out. Should someone turn out to be infected - everyone who visited that plant on such-and-such day, can be contact-traced.

Grocery store or other retail? Not possible. But it's unavoidable. Watch the physical distancing and wear a mask ...

Big groups of strangers like L&L and other car and bike meets (or random visits to the beach or to that now-infamous park)? Forget it. It's a contact-tracing nightmare. You don't know everyone there, and no one does, and no one is keeping track. For now, it's best to just say no. If you insist on going to a place like this, wear a mask 100% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom