Bike meets such as LnL - during COVID 19. Your thoughts. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike meets such as LnL - during COVID 19. Your thoughts.

This part right here is going to be dicey when the extra cash starts going to the front line 'hero' workers. Why does he get it but I don't? Yet I'm still working while everyone is staying home? (Not me specifically)

Not sure how I feel about that. Where do you draw the line? The paramedics union argued that they're also deserving of the additional $4/hr bump during this time (and I think they're underpaid as is so agree with this).

But does the worker at Dollarama deserve the 'hero' bump? Why? Why not? It's a hard line to draw and everyone that doesn't get it will be ****** off because they have to work at this time.

I liked a meme I saw on FB and will try to find it...don't call us heroes. Call us martyrs because we have to work against our will. (Or something to that effect).
I think the gov't screwed up when they drew the line. I think it should have been more along the lines of working in healthcare with probable exposure to covid patients and make less than 40K, +$4 an hour, make 60K, +$2, make 80K +0. Don't limit it by job title (and my numbers are representative but I could be easily convinced to follow a different curve). A hospital plumber in Ottawa was bitching that he had to enter covid rooms to conduct repairs and he didn't get the bump. How many other plumbers have kept 100% of their income through this mess? Plumbers normally make a pretty decent living. He needs to re-evaluate, his bump was maintaining 100% income while few did which automatically puts him ahead in the long game.

For people working jobs in the community, that is up to their employer to sort out a potential bonus. We all know that many many of the "essential" services were very far from essential and if the gov't stepped in to top up either the number would be astronomical or the lobbyists would be picking winners and losers again.

I'm still hauling concrete 50 to 60 hours a week, I never stopped, never slowed down.
My employer gave those of us choosing to work a $500 PC gift card as a thank you. More recently I was given a cash bonus.
I don't feel I deserve a govt mandated raise, I'm just happy to be working. Unlike many people I know I'm not currently behind on a single bill.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Out of our circle of friends, only 1 lost their income. And that's down about 40-50% from his normal business. Unfortunately he's making too much to qualify for CERB, but too little to actually meet all his obligations so he was struggling for a bit. A lot of my friends in construction said that their businesses didn't skip a beat. A few of them said their business surged with COVID as people had the time to do additional work, and frankly a lot of the CERB went to people that don't really qualify, so they applied and got the money so they used it up on stuff.

Personally I've been VERY fortunate to maintain 100% of my salary working from home, same goes for my buddies that work in office roles.

We all know we're very fortunate, and personally I try to be as polite and respectful as possible with all the staff I encounter in retail as I know they go through a lot of ****. Shouldn't have to, but there's a lot of idiots and ******** around.

I had a solid month of zero billable hours, and then another month of operating at about 30% capacity. The next couple of weeks look like around 50% capacity.

'Course, I had been planning to semi-retire ... except that the pandemic also gave my nest-egg a beating. That has come partway back, but it's unlikely to recover in the foreseeable future to adequate income-replacement level. Back to work I go.

Some people have been working overtime because of the pandemic, others not working at all.

yep, was sent home with pay for 2 weeks and then brought back in. never lost a cent in salary, so pretty much just happy to still have a job at this point.

Noticed on my ride that the Tim Burton’s on HWY 7 as you leave Port Perry had yellow tape where bikes normally gather.

This has been a long time gathering spot for riders of all ages and types.

Also a good pit stop and meeting point for rides up to Haliburton.
Meh they probably are meeting at the other Tim Hortons on Reach street, has a bigger parking lot, but it's not front and centre like the other location.

I'd bet it's gone already.

Or they'll just move to the grocery store next door.

Because Hortons Choice gotta meet. Wouldn't want to actually ride too far, after all.

Still there. What it accomplished was having all the bikes crowd at the back of the store where there is no tape. So now the parking area is smaller the bikes are closer together. Dumb move on Timmies part IMHO.

I just moved on to a different Timmies since they don't want my business. I've been to several that post their phone number on the door and you can call your order in instead of trying to hold on to your coffee on your bike at the drive thru. This Timmies seems to do everything to discourage bikers from coming at all which is surprising because I would say they get most of their business from us.

our company is doing better than we deserve or imagined. Not one of 170 employees missed a paycheque. Commissioned saleguys are off a bit but the base salary would keep any normal person afloat.
Wife works in a hospital so business as usual for her.

Shes really worried about 9 months from now, she runs a paedi/ maternal childcare floor, so with everybody home with nothing to do but screw, bumper crops coming in 9 months.....

Meh they probably are meeting at the other Tim Hortons on Reach street, has a bigger parking lot, but it's not front and centre like the other location.
goddamn there's another timmies in Port Perry? Been cottaging in Caesarea for >5years and never even thought to check.
Thanks for the alternate, maybe the lines will be shorter at that one.

Shes really worried about 9 months from now, she runs a paedi/ maternal childcare floor, so with everybody home with nothing to do but screw, bumper crops coming in 9 months.....
It'll be worse than the surge in babies 9 months after the big blackout...2003 I think...

just moved on to a different Timmies since they don't want my business. I've been to several that post their phone number on the door and you can call your order in instead of trying to hold on to your coffee on your bike at the drive thru. This Timmies seems to do everything to discourage bikers from coming at all which is surprising because I would say they get most of their business from us.
that Tim Hortons is constantly busy even during the other nine months of the year that most motorcyclists aren’t even on the roads, so I doubt it’s that much of a big deal to them as you suggest.

I also don’t think it has anything to do with not wanting the business but more to do with just trying to avoid the police showing up which has happened at that specific Tim Hortons several times now due to riders just ignoring the distancing laws.

That, and the noise Since it seems there’s always “that guy “who needs to check that his Revlimiter is still working. ?

If I go to Tims it's for one of 2 reasons:

- Desperation to use a toilet. And it's gotta be desperation since a lot of Tims bathrooms are on par with Walmart's bathrooms.
- I'm desperate for a coffee and there's no McDonalds or Starbucks in a 25KM radius of the planned route. And McDonalds has clean bathrooms.

I hope these meets continue, for the following reasons:
a) I enjoy working from home
b) Increased tickets means more funding for our broke-ass government
c) Lack of social events limits social obligations, so I have more time to tinker/ride/do home projects, etc.

Back
Top Bottom