Bike meets such as LnL - during COVID 19. Your thoughts. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike meets such as LnL - during COVID 19. Your thoughts.

If society as a whole plays its cards right, this virus need not "always" be present. A number of jurisdictions worldwide, including whole countries (like Australia and New Zealand), and including a few Canadian provinces and territories, have banished this virus, at least for now. Several European countries are pretty close to banishing it, including some countries that were hard-hit early on. It is possible. But it requires people to act together, and listen to scientific and medical experts, and do what they are told.

We (Quebec and Ontario) are having a little bit of trouble with that.

The Americans are having a great deal of trouble with that. Incompetent leadership has not helped. Too many science-deniers. Too many conspiracy-theorists. Too many people with disrespect of authority. A lot of this is beyond being blamed on Donald Trump, although he has not helped matters. Many of these situations have been brewing for years, if not decades.

Brazil is having a great deal of trouble. Again, incompetent leadership.

If nothing else, this virus has revealed the ugly side of many right-wing extremist or populist policies. Some such governments have turned this around (and I would place Doug Ford in this category). Others - notably Brazil and the American federal government - have been disastrous.

The so-called "Spanish flu" took about 3 years to get through, and that had worldwide effect a century ago.

It is "possible" to banish this virus, although it will take time. Do we, collectively as a society, have the wherewithal to do what it takes? That ... I'm not so sure.

Horton's Choice MC - gotta love it ! Or maybe Timmy's Angels ?

Yep, my other favourite name for them.

The rules aren’t actually fuzzy , nobody likes the rules . It’s groups of no more than 5 and no total value group over 50

Where is the "total value of 50" thing documented? I could be wrong but I've never heard of that in Ontario. It's just "groups of 5". I haven't seen anything that says you can have "10 groups of 5 for a total of 50". That's where the fuzziness comes in.

Life will never be the same. The threat of Covid is always going to be present... Might as well live it up, fam.

Disagree. We will beat it either through vaccination and herd immunity (IE, Measles), it'll just burn out like every seasonal flu does once herd immunity is naturally reached through infection, or we will manually stamp it out through strict quarantining and contact tracing. If things like this just stayed around forever we'd still be living with the Spanish Flu as was mentioned. We are not.

A lot of this is beyond being blamed on Donald Trump, although he has not helped matters.

Arguably, is that not deserving of blame then? Heaps of it, IMHO?

If the movie theatre is on fire and you stand at the front of the room and say "FAKE NEWS there is no fire! / It'll go out by itself / The fire is just little so you can ignore it / This fire reacts well to gasoline being thrown on it, not water / Just ignore and it'll go away" do you not deserve blame for a bunch of people dying in the resulting fire?

At least our leaders are taking it seriously here. Yes, we have some citizenry who are being clowns about it (lets discuss the anti-mask people who clearly don't understand basic science) but at least our LEADERS are giving is valid info and advice based on science.

Anyhow, numbers are down again today and there's an air of positivity in the news conferences from said leaders.

Donald Trump is certainly deserving of blame.

But, people voted for him. And, some of the people who voted for him, did so because they voted against Hilary Clinton.

Donald Trump should never have been the Republican candidate. But, people voted for him (or against others).
Hilary Clinton should never have been the Democrat candidate. But, people voted for her (or against others).

Ultimately, DT is where he is because people voted for him as opposed to others. And he still has his "base" ...

The USA is broken. DT is a symbol of that brokenness. The USA is now paying for that brokenness, and will continue to.

"the beatings will continue until morale improves"

But, people voted for him

And some still genuinely think he's the best president the USA has ever seen because they genuinely believe he's doing all that stuff he claimed he'd do. And when you try to talk logically to them and explain that he really hasn't actually done much positive (but a whole lot negative), they get incensed.

The positive coattails that he rode in on have been slowly deteriorating and are now on fire courtesy of Covid.

The seeds of all the negative things he's done won't bloom until he's either out of office, or nearly out of office (if he by some miracle wins a second term) and no matter WHAT happens he'll blame it on the next president after him. NOTHING is his fault. Nothing. Ever. At all. He's still blaming Obama for things happening today, 3.5 years into his presidency ferchristsakes.

But his supporters are a lot like him - he can do no wrong. Everything is the democrats fault - if he'd just be president for life we'd be living in a utopia. They apparently just can't see the bricks still crumbling around them.

People on both sides there, but possibly more the left at the moment, seem to be fixated on narratives rather than facts.
If something doesn't fit their narrative, then it sits in their blindspot, and they just don't see it.
The reason I said left, is because the media tends in that direction and supports the narrative that's being sent out.

Most people seem to be able to see both sides, and some of them will vote against a narrative. It should be an interesting election.

Wear masks and follow proper hygiene procedures
That's exactly the problem with the way things are being enforced. Masks and hygiene are supposed to provide second line defense when doing unavoidable activities like grocery shopping. If people make them first line and assume they can do whatever they want because they are protected it's not going to work. A huge proportion of healthcare workers are not following proper PPE protocol, do you think L&L participants will be much better? From what I have seen, the overwhelming majority of general public is useless at PPE. They wear gloves to shop, then pull out their phone, wallet and cards with the gloves on, then shove then back in their pocket. So now your phone, wallet, cards and inside of your pocket are all contaminated. They keep wearing the gloves in their cars so now every touch point in the car is contaminated. Where are they drawing the line between clean and dirty? The front door of their house? Better take your pants off outside then. Does your wallet stay in the car because it is potentially contaminated?

The protocols are so bad it is laughable and effectiveness of gloves is probably so low that it cannot be measured (when used as I have seen). Masks may be slightly better, but again most people are not wearing them properly and they are not sealing properly. Slight positive benefit. Terrible idea for first line of defense. "I'm protected, I can do whatever I want. " F me.

^
Excellent points

I carry a spray bottle (alcohol cut to about 70%), hand sanitizer and lotion with me everywhere. If I am going somewhere indoors then I.also bring my mask. I don't care if you give me dirty looks or roll your eyes or honk your horn, everything is getting sprayed down, then the hand sanitizer, then sprayed down again then lotion. :)

I am noticing a increase in awareness but it isn't enough that I would feel comfortable going to a meet though...

I am part of a few hiking groups. One started hiking again with rules, everyone wears masks, and keeps a distance, and groups of 5 within a larger group. I don't think this is right. Like @GreyGhost said when doing things that are unavoidable. In this case they can avoid it by not doing it.

BTW yeah people still are not understanding hygine. I went to the post office this morning, only to watch the agent, who wasn't wearing any PPE, wipe her nose and contiune to touch everything. I am glad their computer system was down so I had to leave.

It is "possible" to banish this virus, although it will take time. Do we, collectively as a society, have the wherewithal to do what it takes? That ... I'm not so sure.
Anything is possible if we all work together, but as you mentioned, majority of people only consider how this all affects THEM. No one else, but their inconveniences matter, so they will do what they want, how they want, and the hell with the rest.

I've gone to HD few times now since it's opened up, and you can clearly see how less and less people are following the rules. Less masks, less gloves, less giving a $hit about giving people space. Although I have seen more HD employees be wearing masks and gloves.

My wife went to COSTCO yesterday, if you don't have a mask when you come in, they give you one for free. Simple. Some places I hear are charging a dollar, no problem. Sign me up.

Anything is possible if we all work together, but as you mentioned, majority of people only consider how this all affects THEM. No one else, but their inconveniences matter, so they will do what they want, how they want, and the hell with the rest.

I've gone to HD few times now since it's opened up, and you can clearly see how less and less people are following the rules. Less masks, less gloves, less giving a $hit about giving people space. Although I have seen more HD employees be wearing masks and gloves.

My wife went to COSTCO yesterday, if you don't have a mask when you come in, they give you one for free. Simple. Some places I hear are charging a dollar, no problem. Sign me up.
People are getting tired of every purchase being a pain in the ass that takes forever to receive. I broke down and went to HD to get a gate latch as the old one broke in the winter, an unlatched pool gate seems like a terrible idea and online sources take an indeterminate length of time to deliver an indeterminate quality product. Employees were wearing masks. I was the only customer wearing a mask.

Go back and think about the intent of the rules.

Physical distancing -> reduce virus transmission to reduce spread, keep in mind the possibility of asymptomatic spreaders.
Wear a mask -> reduce virus transmission to reduce spread, keep in mind the possibility of asymptomatic spreaders..
Reduce the number of contacts between people who don't normally contact each other -> It's inevitable that people living in the same space will have interaction with each other and if any one of them get sick, there is a good chance that they will all get sick. OK, we have to accept that risk. But reduce the risk of those people interacting with others outside their normal group -> reduce virus transmission to reduce spread.
And here is the biggie, Improve the possibility of contact-tracing within any group. "don't interact with people you don't know". If you gather in a group and you know the name of everyone in that group, then should one of you get sick, you can pick out everyone for being tested. If you can NOT name everyone in the group then contact-tracing becomes impossible!

On our upcoming track day, everyone is registered and spectators are not allowed -> collectively, even should the worst happen and someone infected comes in, the organisers can track down everyone who was there. They have a list.

In your group of friends, even if you all get together within reason, you can all name each other, should the worst happen.

At a workplace, even in normal times, industrial plants know who their employees are and they keep track of visitors. I have to sign in and sign out. Should someone turn out to be infected - everyone who visited that plant on such-and-such day, can be contact-traced.

Grocery store or other retail? Not possible. But it's unavoidable. Watch the physical distancing and wear a mask ...

Big groups of strangers like L&L and other car and bike meets (or random visits to the beach or to that now-infamous park)? Forget it. It's a contact-tracing nightmare. You don't know everyone there, and no one does, and no one is keeping track. For now, it's best to just say no. If you insist on going to a place like this, wear a mask 100% of the time.

We saw it last month, most of the riders who attend or support such gatherings don’t have the bandwidth in their grey-matter to compute a list of rules. It’s tough for those who choose to be part of the solution to watch these things.

Maybe its because its my job, and less obvious to regular people.
PPE is LAST LINE OF DEFENCE. always has been.
It goes elimination, substitution, engineering, administrative and PPE.
PPE is the worst thing to use to protect from hazards and usually is supposed to be a fail-safe or last resort. Everything people have complained about masks and gloves (the type, n95 vs not, touching things, improper usage), this is all why relying on PPE is not a good idea.
We obviously cant eliminate or substitute COVID but everything else has been put into place.
Engineering: barriers at groceries and restaurants.
Administrative: the limit of people in a store, social distancing, closure of non-essential workplaces. Lower the possible exposure time means you lower the risk.

Also, social distance > PPE. Just because you're wearing a ****** mask doesn't mean you can now hang out right up beside me when there's a ton of space in the grocery store. Back the F off

Noticed on my ride that the Tim Burton’s on HWY 7 as you leave Port Perry had yellow tape where bikes normally gather.

This has been a long time gathering spot for riders of all ages and types.

Also a good pit stop and meeting point for rides up to Haliburton.

Last edited:
We saw it last month, most of the riders who attend or support such gatherings don’t have the bandwidth in their grey-matter to compute a list of rules. It’s tough for those who choose to be part of the solution to watch these things.

Right, and that's why the easier-to-understand recommendation is "No".

Noticed on my ride that the Tim Burton’s on HWY 7 as you leave Port Perry had yellow tape where bikes normally gather.

I'd bet it's gone already.

Or they'll just move to the grocery store next door.

Because Hortons Choice gotta meet. Wouldn't want to actually ride too far, after all.

Engineering: barriers at groceries and restaurants.

The barriers work great. Last month I was at a grocery store checkout. The cashier was chatting with the woman that was leaving in front of me, finished, coughed into her hand, then started running my stuff over the scanner with said hand. With the barrier in place, there was little chance of me infecting that "hero" (hero, because apparently we're supposed to lump retail workers in with front line hospital workers etc. now)

The barriers work great. Last month I was at a grocery store checkout. The cashier was chatting with the woman that was leaving in front of me, finished, coughed into her hand, then started running my stuff over the scanner with said hand. With the barrier in place, there was little chance of me infecting that "hero" (hero, because apparently we're supposed to lump retail workers in with front line hospital workers etc. now)
That's why it aint first. Nothing's idiot proof.
They have my respect but that's about it. Hero? Extra pay? I'm not sure I agree with that.

That's why it aint first. Nothing's idiot proof.
They have my respect but that's about it. Hero? Extra pay? I'm not sure I agree with that.
This part right here is going to be dicey when the extra cash starts going to the front line 'hero' workers. Why does he get it but I don't? Yet I'm still working while everyone is staying home? (Not me specifically)

Not sure how I feel about that. Where do you draw the line? The paramedics union argued that they're also deserving of the additional $4/hr bump during this time (and I think they're underpaid as is so agree with this).

But does the worker at Dollarama deserve the 'hero' bump? Why? Why not? It's a hard line to draw and everyone that doesn't get it will be ****** off because they have to work at this time.

I liked a meme I saw on FB and will try to find it...don't call us heroes. Call us martyrs because we have to work against our will. (Or something to that effect).

Back
Top Bottom