Bicycle Protests | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycle Protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you want to do that? I agree with LePhillou that it would be hard to prove that a bicyclist knows that they are speeding with no speedometer. How do all of these tickets stick? Or is it just that all "serious" bicyclists have speedometers.
It sounds like the bicycle speeding tickets may be by-law with a fixed fine. Afaik, no court for by-law infraction.

Why would you want to do that? I agree with LePhillou that it would be hard to prove that a bicyclist knows that they are speeding with no speedometer. How do all of these tickets stick? Or is it just that all "serious" bicyclists have speedometers.
You don't have to prove that the cyclist knew they were speeding. Ignorance is not an excuse.

This whole thing has me baffled.
-Police have obviously received complaints of cyclists riding irresponsibly.
-Police do a blitz in the park because of this.
-Cyclists get tickets for breaking the law.
-The cyclists excuse is that cars break the law elsewhere.

Breaking the speed limit and rolling stop signs will get you tickets, I don't understand how this is hard to understand.

You don't have to prove that the cyclist knew they were speeding. Ignorance is not an excuse.

This whole thing has me baffled.
-Police have obviously received complaints of cyclists riding irresponsibly.
-Police do a blitz in the park because of this.
-Cyclists get tickets for breaking the law.
-The cyclists excuse is that cars break the law elsewhere.

Breaking the speed limit and rolling stop signs will get you tickets, I don't understand how this is hard to understand.
The reason they ticket the above offenses may be because there is no charge that covers bad attitude.

Traffic laws are supposed to be about safety. What is the risk if the rider slows to 1 KPH at a stop and yields appropriately? What is worse, passing a pedestrian at 19 KPH and nearly hitting them to intimidate them off the path or giving them wide berth at 21 KPH.

Public spaces are for everyone. Cars are needed as well or the less mobile are, in essence, banned.

Were the paved roads in High Park paved for the exclusive use of bicycles?

Is using common sense grounds for being banned?

The reason they ticket the above offenses may be because there is no charge that covers bad attitude.

Traffic laws are supposed to be about safety. What is the risk if the rider slows to 1 KPH at a stop and yields appropriately? What is worse, passing a pedestrian at 19 KPH and nearly hitting them to intimidate them off the path or giving them wide berth at 21 KPH.

Public spaces are for everyone. Cars are needed as well or the less mobile are, in essence, banned.

Were the paved roads in High Park paved for the exclusive use of bicycles?

Is using common sense grounds for being banned?

Disobey Stop Sign | Highway Traffic Act s.136,1a

Come to a complete stop, end of story. Bicycles are bound by the same laws as cars.

This is is exactly what causes the friction. complaining that the rules don't apply.

It's like complaining about the driver in the hov lane doing 100 while all the other traffic is doing 120. Nothing wrong with it. Everyone else is breaking the law. Period.
There is a moral argument to be discussed that strict application of laws while ignoring the real impact on others is not the best approach but legally it is really simple.

There is a moral argument to be discussed that strict application of laws while ignoring the real impact on others is not the best approach but legally it is really simple.
I don’t see any impacts to the others driving 180 on an empty highway. Should I proceed?

I don’t see any impacts to the others driving 180 on an empty highway. Should I proceed?
With the discussion sure. Don't ***** about the ticket if you get it though. Imo, if you can't see/avoid the cop tagging you, you were probably going too fast for conditions. My opinion matters very little though.

Remove all Stop signs and replace them with Yield signs.

Bikes will stop when they see a car coming at them and won’t be so inclined to blow stop signs if they think they won’t yield.

Remove all Stop signs and replace them with Yield signs.

Bikes will stop when they see a car coming at them and won’t be so inclined to blow stop signs if they think they won’t yield.
All way yield is a recipe for disaster. With a 20 km/h speed limit, yield in one direction (EW or NS) makes sense.

All way yield is a recipe for disaster. With a 20 km/h speed limit, yield in one direction (EW or NS) makes sense.
Lets try roundabouts. They have em all over newer milton subdivisions now... and ive seen a few in burlington as well... why the heck not. Slows down traffic as you can't bomb right through them and allows for flow and yielding.
Once again, change the design to trigger the behaviour you want.

Lets try roundabouts. They have em all over newer milton subdivisions now... and ive seen a few in burlington as well... why the heck not. Slows down traffic as you can't bomb right through them and allows for flow and yielding.
Once again, change the design to trigger the behaviour you want.
Great for vehicles. Roundabouts are not good for pedestrians (lots of asphalt to cross, longer route around, higher vehicle speeds across pedestrian path, sadly unpredictable vehicle behaviour).

Great for vehicles. Roundabouts are not good for pedestrians (lots of asphalt to cross, longer route around, higher vehicle speeds across pedestrian path, sadly unpredictable vehicle behaviour).
Lol just plop a circle on the center of the intersection with one way arrows and call it a day. :ROFLMAO:
1659629893621.png

Poland has more yields signs instead of stop signs with a clear priority direction.

Everyone slows down when they’re not sure if the other direction will stop or not.

People will figure it out.

Roundabouts are great but takes time for people to figure out. A few sideswipes and they’ll figure it out.

Lets try roundabouts. They have em all over newer milton subdivisions now why the heck not. Slows down traffic as you can't bomb right through them and allows for flow and yielding.

I work in Milton. My observation being there daily: 1 in 10 residents has grasped the concept. Maybe.

I knew a couple of competitive bicyclists and they said that stop and go was poor training, fine for the mom and pop exercise crowd but not racing. Where do the races take place in Toronto?
Yes, that is the crux of the matter (stop n go training is no good.)

As far as I know, there is very little racing happening in Toronto - the closest regular series would be the Midweek crit in Mississauga. That's irrelevant though - people live in Toronto and they are going to train on the roads, especially during the week. There's thousands of us, and every day on Strava you see hundreds of people doing fast laps of HP in the early morning. That's just not going to stop.

Personally, I'm all for paying out of pocket to license a space and put an end to these tensions and general combative nonsense.

Yes, that is the crux of the matter (stop n go training is no good.)

As far as I know, there is very little racing happening in Toronto - the closest regular series would be the Midweek crit in Mississauga. That's irrelevant though - people live in Toronto and they are going to train on the roads, especially during the week. There's thousands of us, and every day on Strava you see hundreds of people doing fast laps of HP in the early morning. That's just not going to stop.

Personally, I'm all for paying out of pocket to license a space and put an end to these tensions and general combative nonsense.
And i'm sure the dentists with their $10k bikes will be okay with that too :ROFLMAO:
Most cycling clubs have member fees so they could probably incorporate that in there somehow

Grey hair and pot bellies go really well with the latest Cervélos. :D👌
Mentioning Cervelo still makes me sad. Started off so well and look what they have become :(. Damn dentists. Ruin everything good. Canon pro-services restructured when they realized most of their members were dentists and not at all professional photographers. Many real working photographers couldn't afford the hardware list required to gain access.

Haha. I know a few young & competitive guys with Cervélos. I've never tried one but I'm sure they make a fine bike.

But yeah, they have become a lifestyle brand for older wealthy guys, and I'm not sure the company itself had anything to do with that? I guess the pricing is a bit premium but it's not completely crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom