Best UJM of all time? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best UJM of all time?

Mad Mike

Lately there has been some discussions around old bikes. As an old man, I have had the luxury of watching motorcycles evolve, and have owned stuff from the 60s and every decade after. Tell us what your favorite ULM is, and why. If you own one, throw up a pic.

--- EDIT ---
UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Definition:

Loosely defined as a category of motorcycles popularized from about 1970-1990 by Japanese manufacturers. Typical characteristics:
  • a standard riding position,
  • front disc brake,
  • conventional tubular frame
  • telescopic front forks and twin-shock rear suspension.
  • *OHC inline four cylinder air cooled four-stroke transverse engine 400-1100cc, 4 carbs and electric start
  • Unit construction engine, five or six speed transmission
*Some definitions include larger twin and triple 2 strokes and 1st and 2nd gen Goldwings that

Does not include cruisers, farm bikes, enduros, twins, or liquid cooled bikes.

Last edited:
Z1 but you have to admit the Suzuki Water Buffalo takes points for most interesting bizarre attempt to build one in water cooled 2-stroke. One of those done up nice would be um unique :unsure:
... and I wouldn't ride it enough to justify the insurance.

Z1 rode a tiny bit nicer then the CB imho
and in stock form they didn't drag hard parts as bad.
Z1 has a gear primary drive CB has a chain, chain primary drives suck.

... Suzuki GT750 would chase the mosquitoes away better.

I have owned many bikes over the last 48 years of riding, but my all time favorite bike has to be the Honda V65 Magna.
I bought a brand new one back in 1985 and just loved it. I sold it in 1990 and went on to buy other bikes, but I always loved the V65
the most. I bought one about 8 years ago (I even bought a spare). I love the bike, but no matter what it's still an 80s bike.
As I got older, I felt that I needed better brakes, traction control, ABS, just newer and better everything.
If Honda would make a 2020 V65 Magna, I would be first in line to purchase one.

Attachments

• IMG_20150815_104018316.jpg
    IMG_20150815_104018316.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
That's in the eye of the beholder.
So you are judging them on appearances? I always get wrapped up in little things like the mechanicals and how it handles and performs, even serviceability because sooner or later I'm the guy fixing it :|

Define BEST
And define UJM!

Upright seating, must have bars (no clip-ons), no fairing, must have discs in the front, a passenger seat that someone would use for more than ten minutes (e.g. XSR900 disqualified). Is it fair to make solid wheels a requirement? Does it even have to be Japanese (e.g. Triumph Trophy 900)? Is liquid cooling allowed?

lol yes it has to be Japanese !

The bike that really rocked my world was my 4th bike, a brand new 1977 Kawi Z-900!
I was coming from a '73 Honda CB 500 which I also liked but once on the 900 .... WOW! That thing had a massive power band that kicked in around 7,000 rpm if I recall correctly and it would near pull your arms outta their sockets! I almost dumped people off the back of that banana seat a couple of times hitting the power band lol. Guess I should have warned them. I've had some nice bikes since but never one that has excited me more than that one. Think I added a couple of mods after I bough it. Flat bars, because I liked the riding positing better. Put a 4 into 1 Kerker pipe of it and added K&N filters. Changed the mail jets to compensate for the freer air flow with the K&N's, It all worked very well. Loved that bike :love:

1977 Z900.jpg

Last edited:
OK, has to be Japanese. Something I forgot - must have a center stand! A very practical, ubiquitous feature that gets dropkicked later on and chases out a bunch of newer bikes. And probably has to be a 3 or 4 cylinder - earlier parallel twins were the discount option.

I look at my very own CB919 and wonder - I think could win an argument that it's a UJM. But is it qualitatively the best of all time?

Oh I forgot this was Mad Mike's thread and not Trials. OP has edited the post and we have some firm rules. Lemme think for a sec

None of my bikes were mfg’d after 1975. The oldest is 51 years old. Based on your posted definition, only my 1975 CB550K would meet the criterion.
You’ve all seen my regular ride on here, a 1973 CB350four.
I wouldn’t classify any of mine as “best” UJM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favourite is then the 1983 GS1100E... because I think it looks cool, and I would still happily daily it today

Suzuki GSX1400. Love the styling and air/oil cooled motors but Fuel injected as well.

1024px-Suzuki_GSX1400.jpg

I have owned many bikes over the last 48 years of riding, but my all time favorite bike has to be the Honda V65 Magna.
I bought a brand new one back in 1985 and just loved it. I sold it in 1990 and went on to buy other bikes, but I always loved the V65
the most. I bought one about 8 years ago (I even bought a spare). I love the bike, but no matter what it's still an 80s bike.
As I got older, I felt that I needed better brakes, traction control, ABS, just newer and better everything.
If Honda would make a 2020 V65 Magna, I would be first in line to purchase one.
Brakes. The brakes on my Magna were like wood.

I always thought the V-twin was the way to go . The Yamaha Vision 550 was a pretty good example . But the Hawk GT650 was a great bike ahead of it's time . Probably at it's time the cost held it from being successful . Also we were in different time with insurance .

Back
Top Bottom