Best UJM of all time? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best UJM of all time?

The fact you picked a step through scooter from the late 50's, to me means, you don't understand the term UJM. Next question.
He added the displacement requirement afterwards, if a UJM must be 4 cylinder then no UJM ever existed before the CB750. Do you believe Japan had no Universal Japanese Motorcycle's before production of the Honda CB750 :unsure: I didn't even want one when they were new.

It's funny that yall think UJMs started at the CB750.
The 750 was a pivotal bike, but was in no way the start of UJMs
Suzuki T250/500s
The CB450 Black Bomber was a much bigger threat than the 750
Yamaha won the '72 Daytona with a TR3, a 350cc, against the best 650s and 750s the world could muster... then won the Daytona 19 times over the next 20 races. The CB750 only won the Daytona once, in 1970 with Dick Mann at the helm... Dick won the '71 Daytona on a BSA.

The SOHC CB750 was actually a bit of a dud. Two of my brothers had them, no thanks... the DOHC CB750 was a MUCH better bike(three of my brothers had the DOHC), but still heavy and slow, with crappy brakes with stainless steel rotors (a Honda FEATURE).
I have never owned a CB750 of any sort (I've wrecked a couple and I raced a DOHC for one season), I did however race a CB450/500 for more than 20 years. I still have one.

Let's not forget that in 1970 the , arguably , best bike was the Norton Commando, that was designed in 1947... as a 500cc.
Brits gave up motorcycle development, they couldn't afford any with the strikes. around 1970 the British auto industry was losing 20% of work hours to strikes.
The Italians never had the capacity or capital to lead the world.
Harley was at their lowest and sold out to AMF in 1969.

... Japan just picked up the pieces....

Bitzz for sure that extra lump stick made the dual cam a better bike but I never had an issue with my SOHC 750. I rode it hard and put it away wet for a decade and the thing just kept coming back for more.

...Let's not forget that in 1970 the , arguably , best bike was the Norton Commando, that was designed in 1947... as a 500cc.
Brits gave up motorcycle development, they couldn't afford any with the strikes. around 1970 the British auto industry was losing 20% of work hours to strikes.
The Italians never had the capacity or capital to lead the world.
Harley was at their lowest and sold out to AMF in 1969.

... Japan just picked up the pieces....
Norton - Yikes! That was the last gasp for the classic era of British -- the 70 MK1. It rolled out into production without much in the way of design testing, continuing the British tradition of shoddy final engineering and assembly - and that was a particularly bad year with main bearing failures, piston failures, oil system failure, exhaust failures, head failures, steering head failures, speedo failures, and they didn't forget to make sure there were plenty of oil leaks. My English riding buddy in the early 80s rode one proudly - after 2 years he referred to the Lucas electrical system as a 'safety feature' because if it rained, or was too hot outside -- the electrical system stopped him from riding. He bought a CB550 after 2 years of angst with the Norton.

The 70 Commando was a pretty bike, but no match for an 70 SOHC CB750 in performance or dependability.

Reactions: TK4
Ever watch somebody kick a Commando to life?(or try to). Makes that estart SOHC look pretty good even before you pull up the side stand.

I quite enjoyed my Kawasaki Zephyr 750 (I think it was a '93). Was a bit of a porker, but a good all-round ride.

KawasakizephyrZR750.jpg

Back
Top Bottom