Best sport touring bikes for long distance | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best sport touring bikes for long distance

I had read that the older Tracer GT’s did not have ample weight allowance for carrying heavier loads - might have been due to the subframe. I think I even read that Yamaha wouldn’t support putting a top box on, or something to that effect, even though people did it anyways. I believe the current versions have a beefier subframe and are more suited to longer distance 2up, and there are other members on here who know much more about that than me. It seems like the previous versions would be an awesome solo touring bike, but not appropriate for 2up touring.
And how often are planning to ride 2 up? Friend of mine was riding his 2020GT 2 up and full luggage wit out any issue. I’m pretty sure he is heavier than you and your better one…

And how often are planning to ride 2 up? Friend of mine was riding his 2020GT 2 up and full luggage wit out any issue. I’m pretty sure he is heavier than you and your better one…
Is it just the 2019’s that are less oriented towards 2up riding? I’m not sure.

Probably not the bike you're looking for at all, but the Hayabusa won the Iron Butt challenge this year.

Pretty comfortable and sporty ride with a lot of custom modifications. Just cant offroad very good lol.
If you are young enough to tolerate the riding position it’s a great touring bike, I loved mine, just too hard on my old damaged neck.

Super dependable, stupid power but lotsa fun and really capable as a tourer. I split time between a Busa and FJR, both awesome on long hauls.

If you are young enough to tolerate the riding position it’s a great touring bike, I loved mine, just too hard on my old damaged neck.

Super dependable, stupid power but lotsa fun and really capable as a tourer. I split time between a Busa and FJR, both awesome on long hauls.
My old Busa (2000) which I still have for memorabilia has a heli bar on it, raising the bars a good 3-4 inches. Night and day on the bike. You can comfortably ride it all day coupled with a nice Corbin gel seat. With my new one I actually forgot how aggressive the stock stance is on it. Agreed after 2-3 hours I can use a break.

My old Busa (2000) which I still have for memorabilia has a heli bar on it, raising the bars a good 3-4 inches. Night and day on the bike. You can comfortably ride it all day coupled with a nice Corbin gel seat. With my new one I actually forgot how aggressive the stock stance is on it. Agreed after 2-3 hours I can use a break.
Yes, Helis make a huge difference for touring. Before I sold mine I contemplated getting bars off a Bking, that would have made mine a keeper. Decided to keep the FJR instead, I miss the arm ripping power.

Bigpoppa,

I loved that ATAS DCT.

if I was only 2 inches taller, I could of flat footed on any surface. I’m closer to 5’9” that 5’8”, I had the low seat also.

the scrambler I can flat foot it, without issues. I would challenge anyone on this thread to ride this bike (ATAS) with its 109hp across Canada and the twisties and not have a great time, with a tank range of 500kms. To me it was the perfect all around bike, and the 50/50 tires (Dunlop TrailMax Missions) would not slow you down in any twisties & standing on the pegs doing 120kph on dirt roads was just amazing. You would never see radar on dirt roads.

if you ever get a change to test ride one, do it. There’s one at Wolf Motorcycle, that available for test rides.

Jay2EEDE94A-71BE-43E3-88AB-F9692FB1513A.jpeg

Last edited:
I decided to add the Bren Tuning Stage 3 kit as well as Sprint filter and IAT relocate kit to the XR. Seemed to be all the rage on the BMW board so I gave it a shot mainly because the low-rpm fueling was poor mostly due to euro4 and the power down there was suffering (it already has a full exhaust so that wasn't helping the lean fueling either). The tune also quickens up the shifting and removes some power robbing nannies as well. So far I’m very impressed. Power everywhere has made a significant jump and the kit does what it promises.

F5D93C75-737D-4AC8-B1BF-93CC4EB8B25A.jpeg

I had read that the older Tracer GT’s did not have ample weight allowance for carrying heavier loads - might have been due to the subframe. I think I even read that Yamaha wouldn’t support putting a top box on, or something to that effect, even though people did it anyways. I believe the current versions have a beefier subframe and are more suited to longer distance 2up, and there are other members on here who know much more about that than me. It seems like the previous versions would be an awesome solo touring bike, but not appropriate for 2up touring.
the GT version has a longer swingarm than the original FJ09 by 2.5 inches
the FJ was a good solo tourer, and from what I hear the GT fixes all the shortcomings
no way I'd have put a top case on my '15 FJ, it liked to wheelie enough without one

2 up with 3 cases I'd still say is a bit much for even the elongated GT version though
engine of course would be fine, but even stretched a bit, just don't think the bike is up for that

Welcome to the BMW fam. interested to hear your comparison to the previous Multi.
XR is a bit faster, turns in and changes direction quicker. Lacks suspension adjustability/personalizing and other than Dynamic/Sport conditions it doesn't work as well. It is not an ADV bike as it's not designed to go offroad....ever. It lacks quality of parts/finishing compared to the Multi. Luggage system not as good. It is not as stable at speed and it's noticeable even at highway speed.
MTS can easily go offroad, even on street tires. Modes can be vastly customized and work much better ("Offroad" setting works great, "Touring" is actually comfy compare to the XR's Road setting which is still too stiff, "Urban" lowers the suspension around town and works great, etc). MTS finishing/electronics/brakes are all better. It's more comfortable and a much better all-rounder.
Both have the annoying service light reminder that only dealers can reset. Can spend about $150 in parts/App to reset the BMW at home. MTS just roll back the date in the menu to trick it into clearing (Desmo service is still dealer reset).
Both could easily do track days or all day 800km tours.
I find the MTS is more fun to ride and has way more personality and I prefer it.

@shanekingsley
its a bit far, but price and mileage look good, be sure to get the vin and confirm it can be registered in ontario and ask if maybe the dealer can get it safetied in ON:

lovely bike that's a ton of fun to ride
but I'd recommend staying away

parts and service are getting very scarce for that bike already
only out of production 3 years, but they never sold too many of them

XR is a bit faster, turns in and changes direction quicker. Lacks suspension adjustability/personalizing and other than Dynamic/Sport conditions it doesn't work as well. It is not an ADV bike as it's not designed to go offroad....ever. It lacks quality of parts/finishing compared to the Multi. Luggage system not as good. It is not as stable at speed and it's noticeable even at highway speed.
MTS can easily go offroad, even on street tires. Modes can be vastly customized and work much better ("Offroad" setting works great, "Touring" is actually comfy compare to the XR's Road setting which is still too stiff, "Urban" lowers the suspension around town and works great, etc). MTS finishing/electronics/brakes are all better. It's more comfortable and a much better all-rounder.
Both have the annoying service light reminder that only dealers can reset. Can spend about $150 in parts/App to reset the BMW at home. MTS just roll back the date in the menu to trick it into clearing (Desmo service is still dealer reset).
Both could easily do track days or all day 800km tours.
I find the MTS is more fun to ride and has way more personality and I prefer it.
as i recall it's also more expensive than the bmw, so i guess you are getting some tangible value for money there.

Got a new bike yet?

Got a new bike yet?
Yes sir. The tires are from 2007 and hard as hockey pucks, but I have a new set of Road 5's waiting to go on.
2022030818541149--3827303118150751118-IMG_7668-4K.jpg

Back
Top Bottom