Best sport touring bikes for long distance | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best sport touring bikes for long distance

From Wolf BMW out of London?
Mark Minnie the Owner Principle is an avid bike enthusiast and I hear that buying from him is an awesome experience - congrats!
Now that you have the bike, did you check out their service dept - what's it like?

Mark is great!

Mark is great!
Yes. Mark is a good owner. Jacqui was awesome. And the service manager was very good.
Already booked my 1000k. Service in August. After riding DCT Honda’s for 3 years. I stalled it in the parking lot. Didn’t not take long to get back in the groove.

@shanekingsley
its a bit far, but price and mileage look good, be sure to get the vin and confirm it can be registered in ontario and ask if maybe the dealer can get it safetied in ON:

Thanks. I have some other family commitments that will put a hold on bike buying for now, but I'm still hoping to be able to snag a nice bike for a good price in the fall.

Have you narrowed down the search yet Shane? I am going to make the switch to an adventure bike sooner than I thought! Have you looked out west? Seems best deals are there! Anyone ever purchased a bike there, took a flight and rode back?

Have you narrowed down the search yet Shane? I am going to make the switch to an adventure bike sooner than I thought! Have you looked out west? Seems best deals are there! Anyone ever purchased a bike there, took a flight and rode back?
Yeah I’ve narrowed it down to a few bikes and they are all great bikes, but slightly different in what they offer and price points.
In no order they are:
2015+ Multistrada
2018+ s1000xr
2018+ Versys 1000
2016+ SDGT

I’ve been reading a lot more about each bike and they are all solid machines that will do exactly what I’m looking for, except the SDGT, but I just like that bike a lot, so I would still consider it if it came well optioned with what I want.

I wouldn’t do a fly and ride, because I don’t have the time right now, but I would consider getting one from Quebec.

The VStrom 1050 is a solid bike too, which I would otherwise be happy with, but I’m just looking for something different than a Suzuki right now.

Yeah I’ve narrowed it down to a few bikes and they are all great bikes, but slightly different in what they offer and price points.
In no order they are:
2015+ Multistrada
2018+ s1000xr
2018+ Versys 1000
2016+ SDGT

I’ve been reading a lot more about each bike and they are all solid machines that will do exactly what I’m looking for, except the SDGT, but I just like that bike a lot, so I would still consider it if it came well optioned with what I want.

I wouldn’t do a fly and ride, because I don’t have the time right now, but I would consider getting one from Quebec.

The VStrom 1050 is a solid bike too, which I would otherwise be happy with, but I’m just looking for something different than a Suzuki right now.

no more tracer GT?

In no order they are:
2015+ Multistrada
2018+ s1000xr
2018+ Versys 1000
2016+ SDGT

The S1000XR is the same from 17-19 FYI.
SDGT isn't an overly good (ie. comfy) 2up bike. We tried it, wife wasn't overly impressed.
The Versys is a good bike but it's not a "premium" bike like the XR and Multi and you'll know what I mean if you ride them back to back. Owning both the XR and Multi at the same time the XR doesn't even feel or look premium when it's beside the Multi and I can point out a dozen ways easily to show that. Hands down the 15+ Multi 1200S is the best all-rounder and I prefer it over the XR in almost every way. Buy the Multi.

The S1000XR is the same from 17-19 FYI.
SDGT isn't an overly good (ie. comfy) 2up bike. We tried it, wife wasn't overly impressed.
The Versys is a good bike but it's not a "premium" bike like the XR and Multi and you'll know what I mean if you ride them back to back. Owning both the XR and Multi at the same time the XR doesn't even feel or look premium when it's beside the Multi and I can point out a dozen ways easily to show that. Hands down the 15+ Multi 1200S is the best all-rounder and I prefer it over the XR in almost every way. Buy the Multi.
All good feedback thanks. And congrats on selling your bike!

Shane, don’t ignore a 2017 + R1200GS (non Adventure model)

Will be down on top end power compared with the Multi and XR but you cannot beat it for the type of riding you do with your long travel days, including gravel and dirt roads and 2 up and all day comfort.

Easy to maintain, and service once you get a few tools and the scanner App and is a workhorse.

Shane, don’t ignore a 2017 + R1200GS (non Adventure model)

Will be down on top end power compared with the Multi and XR but you cannot beat it for the type of riding you do with your long travel days, including gravel and dirt roads and 2 up and all day comfort.

Easy to maintain, and service once you get a few tools and the scanner App and is a workhorse.
I wouldn’t call it sporty…

Agree, but it has no problem being sporty.:)

I only say that in the context that he’s looking for a sporty tourer with more emphasis on sport.

I had read that the older Tracer GT’s did not have ample weight allowance for carrying heavier loads - might have been due to the subframe. I think I even read that Yamaha wouldn’t support putting a top box on, or something to that effect, even though people did it anyways. I believe the current versions have a beefier subframe and are more suited to longer distance 2up, and there are other members on here who know much more about that than me. It seems like the previous versions would be an awesome solo touring bike, but not appropriate for 2up touring.

Back
Top Bottom