Best sport touring bikes for long distance | Page 25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best sport touring bikes for long distance

I spoke with one of the guys there (Larry) and he said that in Canada we o my got the GT version.

Regular version only available in Euro and US.
I was quite surprised to hear that.

Only GT models coming to North America. We also only get the choice of 2/3 colours. I’m surprised Larry has one in stock. That’s where I bought mine from (and my 2019 as well).

The bike is great...the windshield has to go though. Too much buffeting. Luckily the MRA Sport from my 2019 GT fit!

If anyone is considering one of these bikes, hit me up and I’d be happy to give you my thoughts/feedback.

Rob

This thread got me all excited to look for another bike. I sat on a 2021 versys and was tippy toed. I couldn't climb or get off of a vstorm LMAO. Dealer suggested a lowering kit for versys.($450+2 hour labour) with out the door pricing goes to 13000+. I wish we had some test drive option to try the bike like we can do for the car. For now I am going to wait and see the used market. I won't do off road so not sure if versys is the right bike. Maybe CbR650R or MT07?

This thread got me all excited to look for another bike. I sat on a 2021 versys and was tippy toed. I couldn't climb or get off of a vstorm LMAO. Dealer suggested a lowering kit for versys.($450+2 hour labour) with out the door pricing goes to 13000+. I wish we had some test drive option to try the bike like we can do for the car. For now I am going to wait and see the used market. I won't do off road so not sure if versys is the right bike. Maybe CbR650R or MT07?
plenty of used options for the versys/vstrom out there
as for the choice between the honda and the mt07, get the MT, less weight, more usable power, all around much better bike.
Its a bigger more powerful highway capable version of the DRZ400sm by all accounts.

Only GT models coming to North America. We also only get the choice of 2/3 colours. I’m surprised Larry has one in stock. That’s where I bought mine from (and my 2019 as well).

The bike is great...the windshield has to go though. Too much buffeting. Luckily the MRA Sport from my 2019 GT fit!

If anyone is considering one of these bikes, hit me up and I’d be happy to give you my thoughts/feedback.

Rob
Which color did you get?
I prefer the Liquid Metal over the Redline but neither one is appealing.
I actually prefer the blue color on the 2020 model.

Larry said that was their only unit for now.
All others were sold on a pre-delivery deposit.

I have only dealt with Kelly's for some OEM Yamaha parts. I'm no big spender with them but I found their customer service to be great and pricing is actually Yamaha OEM pricing without any additional markup. Unlike Burlington Cycle.
I actually use the Parts Finder off of Snow City's website as it has the full Yamaha schematic WITH actually prices.

Which color did you get?
I prefer the Liquid Metal over the Redline but neither one is appealing.
I actually prefer the blue color on the 2020 model.

Larry said that was their only unit for now.
All others were sold on a pre-delivery deposit.

I have only dealt with Kelly's for some OEM Yamaha parts. I'm no big spender with them but I found their customer service to be great and pricing is actually Yamaha OEM pricing without any additional markup. Unlike Burlington Cycle.
I actually use the Parts Finder off of Snow City's website as it has the full Yamaha schematic WITH actually prices.

IMG_1742.JPG

I got the Liquid Metal. Love the colour scheme. Even if the Tech Camo was available here, I would have stuck with the silver. I ordered mine in January and picked it up early May.

I had never even heard of Kelly’s until I stumbled across their website when I was searching for my first Tracer. They are a great example of how bike shops should be run. Plus I used to work with their head mechanic at another Yamaha dealer years ago and trust him to work on my bikes.

Rob

Kelly's is great. The Kelly family are the founders of Steel City Riders.( they were called the Flying Midgets at first in the early 60s) My daughter went there for a few bits for the 45 yr old Yamaha i gave her. They bent over backwards to help her.

Last edited:
Kelly's is great. The Kelly family are the founders of Steel City Riders.( they were called the Flying Midgets at first in the early 60s) My daughter went there for a few bits for the 45 yr old Yamaha i gave her. They bent over backwards to help her.
Did the Steel City Riders have a trials chapter as well? Or was it mainly MX?
I seem to recall that name from back in the 80s when my Dad was competing in trials.

Speaking of which - I rode his Sherco around his property yesterday. There is SO much to like about a trials bike.

Originally, their business was auto body repair. Then the bike store opened up on the end of the building. Now, the service area is the former body shop, which is gone.

Did the Steel City Riders have a trials chapter as well? Or was it mainly MX?
I seem to recall that name from back in the 80s when my Dad was competing in trials.

Speaking of which - I rode his Sherco around his property yesterday. There is SO much to like about a trials bike.
Everything was done in one room. One big happy family.
We even had one event that included mx,trials and flat track. It was called the "Turkey Chicken Chocolates". You rode the same bike of your choice in all 3 short events. Tons of laughs.
Everything was organized at the clubhouse just west of Binbrook with lots of foosball and beer.
I would have to say that mx took a slight edge in popularity. The 6hr and 1hr mx events were a blast.
Ahhh the good old days.

Everything was done in one room. One big happy family.
We even had one event that included mx,trials and flat track. It was called the "Turkey Chicken Chocolates". You rode the same bike of your choice in all 3 short events. Tons of laughs.
Everything was organized at the clubhouse just west of Binbrook with lots of foosball and beer.
I would have to say that mx took a slight edge in popularity. The 6hr and 1hr mx events were a blast.
Ahhh the good old days.

Thanks for sharing that story! Awesome!

Pick her up today. Will call her Stinger.
my version of “Best Sport Touring Bike”.

View attachment 49821
beautiful, I take it you had to go in and place a custom order for it? There's nothing like it on the BMW website.
which one is the base model?

beautiful, I take it you had to go in and place a custom order for it? There's nothing like it on the BMW website.

40th Anniversary Edition:

Special order. I got lucky. Original order got canceled
2nd one to make it to Canada.

Pick her up today. Will call her Stinger.
my version of “Best Sport Touring Bike”.

View attachment 49821
From Wolf BMW out of London?
Mark Minnie the Owner Principle is an avid bike enthusiast and I hear that buying from him is an awesome experience - congrats!
Now that you have the bike, did you check out their service dept - what's it like?

I believe that the base model is ....

Back
Top Bottom