Barkbuster help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Barkbuster help

Hancop

Getting a new vstrom 650 and want to get barkbusters to protect everything in a fall or tip over. The oem ones are plastic and won’t protect in a fall or tip over. was thinking ones that connect at 2 points are the best, but not sure who makes ones for vstrom that can connect in 2 points. Barkbuster storms only connect at one point.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

peter

I have Barkbuster Storms and they connect at two points for the 1st gen VStrom. Once at the bar end and then further inside of the handlebars. Did they change something for the newer models?

I have stock ones on the 2015. Connects at two points. After a long slide they are fine and still intact.

That's the part, you can call and get the storm plastics if needed over the VPS
According to Fortnine, this will not fit the 2019 models - can't see why, but it seems that way - maybe their site is not updated or something?

OE connect at 2 points, very sturdy and IMHO a lot safer than Barkbusters. 39585313-7DA5-4CA7-928E-EF96189FB27F.jpeg

Barkbusters can be dangerous. More than one rider has had a hand/wrist trapped or broken by a Barkbuster. Fall, whack a small tree and collapsed the inner bar on your hand and it’s gonna hurt and your access to controls will be pinched off.

as for saving your bike in a tip or fall, neither will help in that situation.Stock bars are gonna bend, save your money and upgrade the bars instead.

According to Fortnine, this will not fit the 2019 models - can't see why, but it seems that way - maybe their site is not updated or something?

2018 they switched to 1 1/8" fat bars. The ones from Dual Sport are for standard 7/8" bars.

event-details_032.jpg

dashWING5384.jpg

If you want to save a hundred bucks over the Barkbusters, check out Tusk D-flex bars at Rocky Mountain ATV for $50USD. Tusk D-Flex Handguards

They come with either 7/8" or 1 1/8" mounts. If you prefer to mount them using bar end threaded inserts, those are available online for ~$20 as well, but the stock expansion mounts have never moved on me. Before I installed them I bent 3 levers in 2 years. At $20 for a new lever, the guards have more than paid for themselves over the years.

The bar is solid 5/16" x 3/4" aluminum and has not bent or moved at all through several drops/low speed falls.

OE connect at 2 points, very sturdy and IMHO a lot safer than Barkbusters. View attachment 45123

Barkbusters can be dangerous. More than one rider has had a hand/wrist trapped or broken by a Barkbuster. Fall, whack a small tree and collapsed the inner bar on your hand and it’s gonna hurt and your access to controls will be pinched off.

as for saving your bike in a tip or fall, neither will help in that situation.Stock bars are gonna bend, save your money and upgrade the bars instead.
Although some riders have broken one or both wrists going over the bars with full wrap handguards, it is rare and the benefits usually outweigh the risk.
They also definitely protect against breaking levers and bending handlebars.
I wouldn't ride offroad without good handguards.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Although some riders have broken one or both wrists going over the bars with full wrap handguards, it is rare and the benefits usually outweigh the risk.
They also definitely protect against breaking levers and bending handlebars.
I wouldn't ride offroad without good handguards.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
How do they protect against bending handlebars? Levers I understand but I don't see how they protect the bars.

How do they protect against bending handlebars? Levers I understand but I don't see how they protect the bars.

They brace the bars and distribute/redirect the forces. No guarantee you won't bend your bars, but it's far less likely. And like Iceman said, it's rare anyone gets hung up in them enough to break their wrists. If you ride fast in tight singletrack, the benefits far outweigh the risks.

And they're mandatory in Supermoto. Won't let you out on the track without them.

They brace the bars and distribute/redirect the forces. No guarantee you won't bend your bars, but it's far less likely. And like Iceman said, it's rare anyone gets hung up in them enough to break their wrists. If you ride fast in tight singletrack, the benefits far outweigh the risks.

And they're mandatory in Supermoto. Won't let you out on the track without them.
Funny thing is the pros won't use them look at the top bikes in ezraberg etc no wrap around handguards. I know Chris birtch said he won't have them on his bike after getting caught up in them once.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Funny thing is the pros won't use them look at the top bikes in ezraberg etc no wrap around handguards. I know Chris birtch said he won't have them on his bike after getting caught up in them once.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
I got caught on an ATV, went over the front and the reinforced guards trapped both hands. I was lucky and only had minor, albeit painful, injuries to my wrists.

I have good guards on my dirtable bikes. I prefer the OE non-reinforced, they provide lots of protection and they release if you go over. I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever take the risk of getting hands trapped by the aluminium bar (again).

Back
Top Bottom