Barkbuster help | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Barkbuster help

As someone else noted, for riding in the woods they're essential, but in that environment they're mounted in such a way that getting your hand caught is pretty tough. In my applications they've been close to the controls, and don't have any plastic protectors on them. Just aluminum hand guards angled in such a way that provides protection but minimizes hazard.

The picture from GVH attests to the durability of the stock Suzuki ones for a street bike application. I wouldn't see any need to change them except aesthetics, which is a personal preference.

UM, Barkbusters were originally make to save your hands from getting bashed up in tight forresty areas. Now they have to save crash damage???

As someone else noted, for riding in the woods they're essential, but in that environment they're mounted in such a way that getting your hand caught is pretty tough. In my applications they've been close to the controls, and don't have any plastic protectors on them. Just aluminum hand guards angled in such a way that provides protection but minimizes hazard.
Unless you go over the bars.

1601859276963.png

That's where the OE's will save you, they disconnect if you go over.
The picture from GVH attests to the durability of the stock Suzuki ones for a street bike application. I wouldn't see any need to change them except aesthetics, which is a personal preference.
The OE are pretty tough, I've seen a few like GVH's.

Unless you go over the bars.

View attachment 45246

That's where the OE's will save you, they disconnect if you go over.
The OE are pretty tough, I've seen a few like GVH's.
There's always an outlier, but that doesn't negate their effectiveness and overall safe application on woods bikes.

By the way, is that picture a personal memento or a google result? I would think such a break would be black and blue and such force would injure the flesh to some degree. Not to mention the likelihood of it being a compound fracture as the bone splinters and the flesh is pushed against it.

There's always an outlier, but that doesn't negate their effectiveness and overall safe application on woods bikes.

By the way, is that picture a personal memento or a google result? I would think such a break would be black and blue and such force would injure the flesh to some degree. Not to mention the likelihood of it being a compound fracture as the bone splinters and the flesh is pushed against it.
That’s not me (it’s the first google pic of a “Barkbuster injuries“ search) but I did badly sprain both wrists a few years back when I went over the bars on an ATV. Log submerged across an 8” deep water crossing stopped the Griz dead — I was standing then did a circus move over the bars.

My points is they are more dangerous than OE AND that the OE guards are imho fit better, offer better element protection, won’t crush or trap you hands in a fall - simply put, better and safer.

My points is they are more dangerous than OE AND that the OE guards are imho fit better, offer better element protection, won’t crush or trap you hands in a fall - simply put, better and safer.

Both have their pluses and minuses. Pick your poison.

Back
Top Bottom